Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hunterston coal power station

Discussion in 'Renewable Energy & Energy Saving Forum' started by johntheexpat, Nov 9, 2011.

1. johntheexpat

johntheexpat Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +1,481
    Make a mockery of Scotlands climate change targets?

Please feel free to point out to me what I'm missing, because the reasons given for rejecting the plant seem to be a little off the mark, they just don't make sense (well not to me anyway).

Move away from fossil fuels to what?

Nuclear? Or is the whole of Scotland going to be covered in solar panels at huge cost and then still shiver during the long cold nights of winter?

There must be better reasons for rejecting it than those given.
  2. 961

961 Active Member

Ratings:
    +670
    If we have to wait until 100% of carbon can be captured from day one we'll be back to the igloos sooner rather than later

These folk don't live in the real world
  3. johntheexpat

johntheexpat Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +1,481
    Well, that's rather what I was thinking. If the Uk can become a world leader in carbon capture and storage, then the market potential is huge.

It does seem to me that FoE are making themselves look like a right bunch of dip-sticks and doing way more harm to their cause (and thus the efforts to reduce CO2) than they realise. They seem to be pitting state of the art research, a modern (and thus more efficient) power station, thousands of jobs and energy security in Scotland, against a badly formed argument and some wildlife (on a site between the existing Clydeport coal handling facility at the Hunterston Terminal, and the Hunterston B nuclear power plant.)

Still, no doubt they are celebrating a huge victory as we speak.
  4. 961

961 Active Member

Ratings:
    +670
    The funny thing is they seem to be all in favour of a plan to do the same sort of thing at Dyce (Aberdeen)

Yet they have raised the roof complaining about the proposal to build a new power line to bring (eco friendly) power south from the north east of Scotland to where it is needed

What is it that they suggest?