Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Humidifiers for babies

Discussion in 'Parents' Forum' started by $lim$hady, Feb 1, 2012.

1. $lim$hady

$lim$hady Member

Ratings:
    +29
    Hey guys,

Are these worth getting? Are there common with parents in this forum?

My brother has a 2 week old baby and she has a stufy nose, i know this is common and nothing to worry about but a few websites suggests getting a cold Humidifier and we were just thinking if its wise or just a product you 'think is a must' as soon as you have a baby??

Thanks.
  2. Andy98765

Andy98765 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,491
    Karvol capsules placed on a hanky tied to the cot and hey! Presto blocked nose gone.
    You can even get it as plugin these days.
    The thing we were never without when my lads were babies is Karvol.
    My grandchild has already been introduced to Karvol when he got his first cold, works wonders.
    Just checked Karvol Range looks like from 3 months only, but just ask in a chemists.
  3. $lim$hady

$lim$hady Member

Ratings:
    +29
    Thanks Andy, just checked with the chemist, they advised 2 weeks is too young but recommended as like you did for when 3 month.
  4. Jenn

Jenn Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,278
    To help her they could raise the top of the bed so she sleeps at a slight angle. It's supposed to help.
  5. neilios

neilios Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,131
    We use one of those karvol plugins,i dont know how much difference it makes,lotties had a cold for ages,doesn't seem to subdue her enthusiasm...
  6. Doug the D

Doug the D Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,254
    I agree with Andy on this: we used Karvol for our girl when she was a baby - its basically like Vicks (er...other decongestants are available...), except its used as Andy describes as opposed to rubbing on the skin/ chest. I highly recommend.
  7. MikeP1

MikeP1 Member

Ratings:
    +74
    Another one for Karvol. We also tip the cot at one end when he's coldy. With teething he seems to be getting a cold every few weeks at the moment.

I've not come across many people we know saying they use humidifiers, if they are not expensive I don't see how it would do any harm.
  8. Uridium

Uridium Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,881
    wet tea towels on the radiator shortly before bedtime have always worked well for us...
  9. fizl

fizl Active Member

Ratings:
    +465
    Childrens olbas oil when slightly older. I have a cold humidifier as Ros gets dry coughs and sticky snotty noses (she sounds lovely!)

The pain with the humidifier is having to scrub it regularly so that I'm not nebulising black mould into the air
  10. $lim$hady

$lim$hady Member

Ratings:
    +29
    Agree, those yellow pages came useful