1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Humax HDR Fox T2 - proven video files supported

Discussion in 'PVRs' started by Oi Jonesey, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Oi Jonesey

Oi Jonesey Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Hello - Has anyone conclusively proven what video file types the Hummy can play? Someone did ask the same question on this post AVI file play on Humax HDR FOX-T2 HD PVR but the thread went off down the route of what kit to plug in rather than what files are supported. My LG TV lists the following supported formats in the manual - anyone tried any of the below on the Hummy?

Movie(*.dat/*.mpg/*.mpeg/*.ts/*.trp/*.tp/*.vob/*.mp4/*.mkv/*.avi/*.divx)

supporting file Video format :DivX3.11, DivX4.12, DivX5.x, DivX6, Xvid1.00, Xvid1.01, Xvid1.02, Xvid1.03, Xvid 1.10-beta-1/beta-2, Mpeg-1, Mpeg-2, Mpeg-4, H.264/AVC

Cheers, OiJonesey
  2. Oi Jonesey

Oi Jonesey Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I've managed to play an AVI file (I think in DivX format) and it does also play VOB files as I've seen reported in some reviews BUT there was no trick play on the VOB file - not even pause. I also shared the photo's and videos on my laptop so it was also playing mpg video files that I get off my Cybershot camera.

So that leaves the list as

*.dat
    *.mpg ---- Yes
    *.mpeg
    *.ts ---- Yes
    *.trp
    *.tp
    *.vob ---- Yes but no trick play
    *.mp4
    *.mkv
    *.avi ---- Yes
    *.divx ---- Yes
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  3. petrev

petrev Active Member

Ratings:
    +943
    Hi

I think you will have to start using a few columns not just Yes/No

eg. Via = USB - DLNA

Maybe you could even do a spreadsheet/matrix ? for containers like MKV etc. you will have to define exactly which codecs / formats work eg. DTS/AAC/AC3 . . . DivX/Xvid/Level/Encoder/Packager.

Probably loads more stuff that I am unaware of too ! ! !

Lots of parameters for a complete definitive guide !
    Have fun
    Pete
  4. Oi Jonesey

Oi Jonesey Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks Pete I am new to this stuff so although I kind of understand the container thing I'm not 100% sure about which ones are which on the files I'm testing. I have started a spreadsheet though and attached it so I can track connection type and hopefully more format info. Jonesey
  5. Oi Jonesey

Oi Jonesey Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Or I thought I'd attached it - will try again.

Attached Files:

6. petrev

petrev Active Member

Ratings:
    +943
    :thumbsup:

I use MediaInfo and VLC's Media/Codec Info to help with finding out what is actually in the different containers ! ! !

Good luck and thanks for the effort
    Cheers
    Pete
  7. Oi Jonesey

Oi Jonesey Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Updated the spreadsheet with a couple more tests. Pete - thanks for the steer about VLC - using the Save As/Convert function seems to give me something usable (the H264 ts file). I used the MediaInfo program you suggested and it returns a lot of info. I will try to put what I think is the relevant stuff in the spreadsheet at some point (format, codec, frame rate, bit rate, anything else?). As for Audio when I play the H264 ts file it actually puts a Dolby logo on the top right of the screen which I haven't seen before (I don't think it's embedded on the clip I'm playing!) so I'm optimistic about good audio but haven't proven any of that yet.

Attached Files:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Oi Jonesey

Oi Jonesey Member

Ratings:
    +5
    In my ongoing search for the answer to "what NAS device should I spend my cash on" I searched for more info on DLNA and got this page Media Format and Transport Model - DLNA which basically says that for Home devices to be DLNA compliant they must support (for Video) MPEG2 and optionally support MPEG1, MPEG4, WMV9.

So I guess that if I want to get a NAS drive to stream to the Humax I've got to focus my attention on these formats and see what I can squeeze out of them. VLC does have a convert option to "H.264 + AAC (MP4)" so I'm hoping that would tick all the boxes for quality as well as streaming.

If anyone out there has tried any of this or has already set up a DLNA NAS drive to the HDR Fox T2 then please let me know what you're using and how it works for you.

Thanks, Jonesey
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Oi Jonesey

Oi Jonesey Member

Ratings:
    +5
    The H264 mp4 option from above was not very good - grainy pic and jerky frames. Maybe I can play with the settings to increase both those properties.

However I have found that using the TS version of the VLC standard profile (in the Convert option) called "H.264 + AAC (TS)" creates a very good version of the VOB file which does stream onto the Humax from a shared library on my laptop (set in WMP so presumably it's using DLNA type magic to do it) AND I get full trick play Pause, FFWD/RWD, skip fwd/back and the left and right on the silver circle nav button to move along the timeline. I also get the Dolby Digital logo so I'm hopefull the sound is still good too. Filesize was slightly larger than the VOB (went from 0.99GB to 1.05GB) so I guess these days not enough to worry about. I might just focus my attention on this now although if anyone has any experience on formats that reduce the file size and keep the pic quality I'll add them in for everyones reference.

I also ordered a 2TB Buffalo Linkstation Live today as it seemed to be the only one (under £150) that came up when I searched for DLNA certified NAS so I'll try and update the spreadsheet and confirm how the streaming works over the bank holidays (should be plenty of time to play with this while the wedding is on TV uninterrupted all b****y day!!!)
  10. Fmrl

Fmrl Active Member

Ratings:
    +413
    Bit of a longshot but does the Fox support FLV files (flash video - the sort of stuff downloaded from YouTube)?

I'm guessing an unencrypted .ts file will be playable by VLC?
  11. Oi Jonesey

Oi Jonesey Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Yes VLC does do a great job playing the files copied off the Humax - but only the SD recordings copied via USB will play on a laptop. SD files networked off do not get the encryption removed but do when USB'd off. HD files do not get the encryption removed at all however you copy them off (currently anyway).

I haven't tried You Tube stuff yet - I've been concentrating on DVD footage mainly but if you do try anything out let me know and I'll update my list.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Fmrl

Fmrl Active Member

Ratings:
    +413
    Doesn't seem to support flv files, no big deal as there's convertors available on the PC anyway.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Oi Jonesey

Oi Jonesey Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Got the buffalo, set it up, connected it and the Humax found it straightaway. Used VLC standard profile for H264 AAC (TS) to convert some VOB files and put them on the Buffalo. Humax didn't see them straightaway but after a restart it found the files and played them perfectly. Great picture (as good as the original DVD), good sound (inc surround sound) and all the trick play worked. I might not need to worry about any other formats now unless I can find something that can do smaller file sizes. The ones I'm using are about the same size as the VOBs so while I get a great picture it's still taking up maybe more disc space than necessary? On the other hand I have to assume I'll sacrifice quality to reduce the file size by anything from the original so I guess I'll stick with these.
  14. Oi Jonesey

Oi Jonesey Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Last edited: May 5, 2011
  15. stephentw

stephentw Member

Ratings:
    +60
    I've been using handbrake to rip my dvds to play on the humax and it works fine using mkv h264 and ac3 passthrough. It plays the 5.1 sound and I can skip chapters. It doesn't play DTS though, shame.
  16. immcinto

immcinto New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I can play .mkv files by remuxing to .mpg format but I get no search functionality. I can get search functionality (JUMP/SKIP) by remuxing to .ts using VLC. I use the profile {Video - H.264 + AAC (TS) w/ MPEG-TS Encapsulation, keep the original video & audio track}. The problem with this searchable .ts file is that there is a degradation in the video (tracers & scenes 'bleeding' into the next scene), this degradation is visible when i play the file on my computer (i.e. it is not the Humax box causing the problem). I assume that remuxing could not affect the video performance, does anyone know why this is happening? I tried a different method of remuxing to .ts using tsMuxer, this created a clean video output but there was no search functionality during Humax playback. help!
  17. its_me_cal

its_me_cal Member

Ratings:
    +12
    I have copied some HD .ts files of the HDR with 5.1 sound but when I have tried to convert to something like .mkv or .mp4 I only get 2 channel stereo. (Note these HD files are decrypted using the method described in the main forum.)

Humm... so I checked the original HD .ts file with VLC player, format factory and Media info, all show this and all HD .ts files that had played with 5.1 sound on the Humax output to my Amp as only 2 channel stereo strange.

So I tried to the original .ts files back on the Humax and it seems they also only play in Stereo now. So I tried to include the other files that came with the .ts main video file (.hmt, .nts and the .thm file) and finally it plays with 5.1 sound again so there must be some information in 1 of those file for 5.1 sound???

Any help with what's going on much appreciated, utimaly I want 1 HD video file I can play on multiple devices including the Humax with 5.1 sound.
  18. SimonG156

SimonG156 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Guys, does it play DVD images copied complete (not to ISO), but to their component parts - video_ts etc to my Windows Home Server? I copy a few of my daughters most-used discs but don't transcode them.
  19. Oi Jonesey

Oi Jonesey Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Simon - yes I found early on that it would play vob files straight off a dvd - but on mine I couldn't pause/ffwd/rew etc. Also I found when I shared the media off my laptop the humax seemed to be able to play more file types/formats but now I've got a dedicated DLNA NAS drive (Buffalo LinkStation Live) which I guess doesn't enable streaming of as many file types as the laptop.
  20. gphome

gphome Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Mine plays m2ts files with AC3 audio really well over network:thumbsup:
  21. immcinto

immcinto New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I reckon that the problem with HD files that cannot JUMP/SKIP is that they are variable bit rate. The reason I think this is because I used Mediainfo to look at the .ts files I created by muxing. The vlc.txt shows the file created by vlc (This file can SKIP/JUMP but has poor video quality). tsmuxer.txt shows the file created by tsmuxer (No loss in image quality but cannot SKIP/JUMP). The only difference I see is the Maximum Bit Rate.

I tried creating a CBR file using tsmuxer but the option does not work. I also tried creating a VBR file using vlc but I could not see any option to do this. I therefore do not have any way of doing an apples-for-apples comparison.

Any ideas, anyone? I may have to start a thread in doom9 for this, as it is not solely Humax specific.
    .jim.

Attached Files:

22. pos999

pos999 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I'm trying to find a way of playing/storing my .mts files from my Panasonic HD video camera on my Humax HDR 1tb
    As this seems to be the standard format for HD video cameras, I'm really suprised so little equipment can actually play this format. My Samsung LED can't handle it either. A bit frustrating:mad:.
    Any help on this issue really would be appreciated.
    Cheers
    Dan
  23. immcinto

immcinto New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I have figured out how to play .mkv (H.264/AC3) files on the Hummy, with full rew/ffwd functionality and no loss of quality.

1) Demux the .mkv file using MKVExtract - this will give two output files, *.264 & *.ac3

2) Mux the two output file to .mp4 using MP4Box.

This will also work for any file extension that has H.264 video and AC3 audio.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  24. robman84

robman84 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This is a great thread, thanks! I just got my HDR-Fox yesterday after much research on here. I'm having some issues with my DVD rips on my NAS. I used DVD shrink to rip them to a single .MPG file. According to VLC the video codec is "MPEG-1/2 Video (mpgv)" and audio codec is "A52 Audio (aka AC3) (a52)". The video works fine but the audio is either silent (over HDMI) or makes a brief noise every second or so over SPDIF optical (whilst the amp freaks out trying to lock on to the stream) - it also displays "Dolby Digital" over the video. I'm a little confused as everything I've read suggests AC3 works fine. Is this something I can fix somehow (PC running Vista) or do I need to re-rip the DVDs using something else?

Secondly if I try to play the individual VOB files ripped from a DVD I get audio but it is the commentary track - can I select which audio track somehow?

Thanks a huge amount.

Rob
  25. Oi Jonesey

Oi Jonesey Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Hello robman84 - I'm not sure I know enough to offer a definitive answer but I can tell you what I would try in this situation - do the files from DVDShrink play and sound OK on your PC? If so then maybe it's the streaming process or the Hummys ability to receive the file. Also is the NAS just a storage device or does it have media serving software on it? I'm using a Buffalo NAS which is DLNA compliant but there are other posts on this forum about installing server software on NAS's. I suppose the other thing is to try your setup using the file format I've already proven - at least then you'll know the setup is capable under at least one scenario, then work through the chain to see where your method stops working. Do your DVDshrink files play OK on your PC? If so then try converting them to the file format I've proven (H.264 AAC TS) - if they still work then that should tell you that there is problem playing the DVDshrink files directly by the Hummy. I've never used DVDShrink but I found my way in VLC by first getting a recorded file off the Hummy and checking the video/audio properties of the files that the Hummy makes and used that as my guide for converting the other files. Good luck.
  26. its_me_cal

its_me_cal Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Hi Oi Jonesey and others when you have checked the audio of particularly an HD file that had 5.1 AAC on the Hummy with VLC what does it show? I have tried various software like VLC, format factory and MediaInfo and its shows the files as stereo 2 channel not 5.1 strange.

I have been trying to convert the Hummy HD files with 5.1 sound to something I can play on my Oppo. I can do this but it always come out as 2 channel stereo. I can force some software converters to 5.1 channel but it doesn't come out right as it only detected 2 channel in the 1st place.

P.S. I know this thread of for playing files on the Hummy and my question is about playing files of the Hummy else where but thought you guys may have some insight into this problem.
    Thanks for any help.
  27. robman84

robman84 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. I've had a go at using VLC and doing H.264 video with AAC sound (TS profile) but had some issues. I think I need to keep experimenting as ideally I want to keep the MPEG2 video unchanged and somehow convince the Humax to play the Dolby Digital 5.1 (AC3) soundtrack. On the linked webpage that has a table of working files the author claims to have success with AC3 on all files.

On my other point, does anyone know how to change audio tracks when playing back VOBs from a DVD rip? I just keep getting the Dolby Digital 2.0 track (track zero I think) that is usually director's commentary. If I press the little speaker button on the remote it just says Audio 0 or something like that but I cannot change anything.
  28. stephentw

stephentw Member

Ratings:
    +60
    Mine can play h264 with ac3 no problem. In mkv. I used handbrake to rip dvds. It won't play DTS though.
  29. robman84

robman84 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks stephentw. I've used handbrake to rip to h264 (despite not wanting to touch the original video stream) with AC3 passthrough and Dolby Prologic 2 second audio track. I used the MP4 container and had no luck - with a ,m4v extension the file didn't show up on the Humax. With .mp4 and .mpg extensions it shows up but freezes the Humax on playback. I used MP4 container to allow the files to work on the iPad too (the file works) but I'll give the MKV container a go to see if it likes that. It's looking like a "universal" format for my own needs is basically a pipedream!
  30. GaryB

GaryB Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,112
    Bit of a late reply, but I've found that my 1Tb will play .mts files from my JVC HD camcorders by simply renaming them to .avi. Picture quality is superb.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011