1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Humax HDR FOX-T2 HD PVR Master thread - [Part Nine]

Discussion in 'PVRs' started by Gavtech, Dec 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,070
    You should not have channels in the 800's, if you do you will have series and accurate recording problems since you are receiving from multiple transmitters. First of all you need to ascertain which transmitter your aerial is aligned on (what direction from Chelmsford does it point).

Enter your postcode and house number here and tick I am in the trade

Digital UK - Postcode checker

This will tell you which transmitter you can get.

Then you will need to delete all your existing Radio and TV channels and manually tune the correct mux.

If you post the transmitter you will get nore detailed instructions.
  2. Black Hole

Black Hole Member

Ratings:
    +217
    At risk of creating more argument, I have and am carrying out trials with AR as I have already intimated, so I don't know why I should be implored to "try it". I am not on multi-region, I did have Wales as a secondary but have retuned to exclusively Mendip to eliminate that possibility, and yet AR continues to let me down even on BBC1 prime-time (for example, Sherlock did not record on Sunday and I had to resort to iPlayer). I have given AR every opportunity to prove itself and still it fails.

Note well I am not suggesting that people who find AR reliable should stop using it, perhaps they are lucky to be in a particular transmitter regoin. I am only pointing out there is a body of experienced users (not just me) who are losing recordings regularly and therefore for them auto-padding represents a better option when using the Humax HDR-FOX T2 (which is the subject of this forum topic). In that there is proven unreliability, AR cannot be recommended - I don't understand how anyone could say otherwise. People should be advised to try it with caution. If I am vocal about it, it is to counteract the frequent insistence that AR is the bees knees - who thinks that just because it works for them it must automatically be OK for everyone (or even the majority)? Experience with other PVRs is irrelevant to this conversation.
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  3. makem

makem Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Your instructions show that the mos likely transmitter is Sudbury, the alternative being Crystal Palace. Thank you for your assistance.

I have noticed that when I wake up my humax it now reboots every time, showing the humax name followed by a green screen before the channel appears after a short delay. Not connect I'm sure but another thing to sort :(
  4. Black Hole

Black Hole Member

Ratings:
    +217
    That's what I get too, and presumably everyone else. Don't worry about it.
  5. makem

makem Member

Ratings:
    +2
    This is the 2nd humax I have had in the last few days. The first one did not do that of wake up, thats why I was concerned.

As a matter of interest (you may wonder why I have had 2 boxes):

I phoned Richer Sounds and asked for a quote. They said £220 and knowing the costs I has seen elsewhere, I immediatley said, reserve one.

When I went to collect it, because of various distractions I never bothered to look at the box but did ask if it was new in view of the low price.

When I arrived home I found it was a Freesat box. That day they brought the correct box to me (same price).

After reading this forum and experimenting I got around to checking the HD via FTP and found 80gb of programs recorded since 4th Sept 2011. The box was a returned one. They have since replaced it with a new one in a sealed box. (same price) saying somebody had forgotten to mark it as returned. I must say the were very good in bringing them to me, some 24 miles.
  6. makem

makem Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Many thanks but as I wanted to attempt to do it myself I think I may have saved you some time although I am sure your way will be quicker.

After deleting all tv and radio channels I listed all the possible channels in the manual section. One by one I checked each. I found good results on 22, 25, 28, 32 and 34. 29 had one of the best signals but contained a jumbled list including the 800's. 41 was 38% strength and gave pixilated results.

I cleared all the tv and radio channels again and one by one searched each of 22, 25,28, 32 and 35, adding each as I went along. The result is good reception on all channels and no 800's.

I have a passive splitter to two boxes and the tv. I get between 55 and 57% signal strength on the humax.

I hope I have achieved what you would have done. If not, nothing lost.

Now I will delete all the channels I never view, remove the padding I started to use and see where AR takes me in a week of trials.
  7. makem

makem Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I am very glad I found this forum and much appreciate all the help. I will never expect spoon feeding but the pointing out the wood from the trees and guidance is received with thanks.
  8. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,070
    That's the normal hdcp handshake operation.

Use edit channels and select all the Radio Channels and Delete them, repeat for all the TV channels.

Now go into manual tune and with DVB-T selected tune the following channels

44 41 58 60 56

Change to DVB-T2 and tune

9. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,070
    Discussion of other Freview pvrs is entirely relevant, they all use the same AR system and codes.

Don't you think it's odd that so far no-else has mentioned Sherlock failing on AR either here or in other places. . I recorded it on Freesat OK. Even if the problem was confined to Mendip there would have been a few reports. Anyway spoke to my Son In Law who lives in Bridgwater. He recorded it fine on a HDR FOX T2 using AR so you need to look a little closer to home. Anyone else had a problem ?
  10. etaf

etaf Member

Ratings:
    +63
    i was using padding and missed the end of ETERNAL LAW and had to goto to ITV player on a PC to watch the end !!!
    where all the On-demand channels on the Humax - I'm thinking of getting a playstation to run all my media etc now - very disappointed
  11. makem

makem Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Please see my later reply. You will see that I searched in my own way and got a good result. In doing that I recorded the result of every search. I found that the channels you suggest for DVN-T gave a zero found result except for 41 which had a very low signal and was badly pixilated. I have checked 47 on DVB-T2 and find it also gives a zero result.

When I first searched I didn't change to DVB-T2.

I will do that and go through agoin out of curiosity.

I would appreciate your further comment.
  12. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,070
    My error the Sudbury SD channels should currently be

44 41 49 54 63 47(HD DVB-T2)

Your aerial is clearly not on Sudbury or is not up to the job.

Sandy Heath is

27 24 31 52 48 21(HD DVB-T2)

Crystal Palace

25 22 28 32 34 29 31(HD DVB-T2)

You may have to wait till DSO for the HD mux.
  13. makem

makem Member

Ratings:
    +2
    As I said, I have good reception now on the channels I quoted on DVB-T only. However I don't have HD now although I did on the automaic search which also gave the 800's.

However I have tried your suggestions and all receive zero result except for Sandy Heath 31 and Crystal Palace 31 (same number??). Are you sure they should all be DVB-T2?

DVB-T2 31 gave me the HD channels :)

What is the difference between DVB-T and DVB-T2?

My aerial was fitted by a company who fitted Satellite, Dab and Freeview on one mast on each of about 30 sets of flats each set being of 6 homes.

I checked Sandy Heath and it does not cover my area.

I have left a message asking the installer to tell me where the aerial is pointed to.

Can you tell me where you found your information please. The pages I find are unintelligable to me.

In conclusion, I appear to have everything now :)

DVB-T: 22; 25; 28; 32; 34 DVB-T2: 31
  14. petrev

petrev Active Member

Ratings:
    +943
    Hi

A Y-split effectively takes any machine out of the chain so can be used anywhere in the chain.

If you put the Humax First in the chain with a Y-split then there will be a 3dB insertion loss down the line (though none of the meters on any of my equipment have been able to show me this loss ???). You can have the Humax in Low Power SB and the RF signal is bypassing the Humax Loop Through Circuit by going through the other leg of the Y-Split.

Cheers
    Pete

All that changes in a current Chain setup is
    eg.
    Remove Aerial Input Feed from Humax
    Insert one Y-Split Male into Humax RF IN
    Insert Aerial Feed into Y-Split Female
    Remove Loop Cable from Humax and connect to second Y-Split Male
  15. makem

makem Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I have a Humax HDR-T2, a Pioneer Freeview (1 tuner) and a Panasonic TV with Satellite and Freeview.

Therefore my incoming Freeview signal has to feed all 3. I bought a plastic 3 way wide band splitter (has cable clamps and screw fixing for the cable core).

I turned off the pass through on the humax and the pioneer to save on lecky. Each unit has 1/3 of the signal and each is on or over 50% signal level with 99 to 100% quality.

I am not happy with the plastic splitter so am awaiting a fully shielded wide band 3 way splitter for satellite. I see no reason why this should not also do the same job and give me a much neater robust method of connecting the 4 cables.

From what you post, my setup would suit you?
  16. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,070
    They are all CP just missing 29 (you should get the lot in April when CP goes through DSO.

DVB-T2 is used for the HD mux.

Choose the region and go

Postcode Checker - Trade View
  17. Black Hole

Black Hole Member

Ratings:
    +217
    For example? I can't think of any other factors to eliminate. HiDef or StDef? I was on StDef.
  18. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,070
    HD. You really need to find someone who recorded the SD version preferably on Mendip, though I doubt it matters that much.

In the past codeing screw ups have tended to affect all transmitters and both Freesat and Freeview. Sky viewers were generally not affected unless of course the programme was not actually transmitted.

Off hand possible reasons (I am as confused as you :confused:). You have sorted the common reason (channels in the 800's)

Local reception or mains problem
    Unforeseen interaction due to the use of patched firmware.
  19. IanTHarvey

IanTHarvey Member

Ratings:
    +13
    No, recorded perfectly for me from Mendip. In fact, in 5 months of ownership I don't recall any missed recordings, partial or otherwise, on default (presumably AR) settings.
  20. ejstubbs

ejstubbs Member

Ratings:
    +27
    The reason you got 800s on UHF channel 29 would be because you had already tuned the same TV channels from a mux on one of the other UHF channels. If UHF channel 29 has the best signal then you would be best advised to tune to that, not the UHF channel carrying the same mux from another transmitter with a weaker signal.

Automatic search scans all the UHF channels twice, once for DVB-T muxes and then again for DVB-T2 muxes. Hence it picks up both SD and HD. For manual tuning you have to choose to do either DVB-T or DVB-T2 - you can't do both at once.

DVB-T only carries SD TV channels. DVB-T2 currently carries only HD TV channels, although it can also carry SD.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  21. PhilipL

PhilipL Active Member

Ratings:
    +459
    Hi

The Humax PVR in standby is actually off. When you turn it on you get the splash screen and a few seconds later it has booted up. This is good because each time it is turned on it's loaded afresh, and uses very little power in standby. This is pretty normal for all equipment.

Sometimes though the PVR will be on doing a timer recording, it will look off to you but really it is on recording. When you turn it on in this state, it comes on without the splash screen as it is really already on, so there are times you will not see the splash screen. This is all perfectly normal.

You may also miss the splash screen if your TV (or you) doesn't switich quick enough to the AV input.

Regards

Phil
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  22. PhilipL

PhilipL Active Member

Ratings:
    +459
    Hi

We recorded the HD version of Sherlock and it worked okay on accurate recording, we are on Emley Moor.

Still favouring padding though until such a time AR might be needed, i.e. Olympics, padding just feels safer.

Regards

Phil
  23. makem

makem Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for that.

I think the colour system could be used far more effectively though.

I have other equipment above and below the humax. When thay are in standby no light shows. I know they are is standby because that is how I set them up. I do not need a red light to tell me what I already know.

Far better use would be made as follows:

1. No colour = standby OR off (the owner should know)
    2. Light red = standby + recording
    3. Blue = on
    4 Bright red = on + recording

That would effictively follow my TV lighting system.

Currently light red = standby and MAYBE recording.
  24. PhilipL

PhilipL Active Member

Ratings:
    +459
    Hi

It's fine as it is, you'll get used to it, and it is never going be changed. :) Also there should be some indication a device is in standby, some people would want to know as they routinely turn things on and off, for example overnight.

Just because you don't need an indication it's in standby......

Regards

Phil
  25. makem

makem Member

Ratings:
    +2
    "some people would want to know as they routinely turn things on and off"

Don't they know when they turn it off it goes off? Do they need confirmation?

When they turn it on, do they need more confirmation?

Humax like the Bill Gates company seem tend to cater for those who need spoon feeding. Let people HAVE to remember things and take responsiblity for their actions.

Lets turn off the light, save electric (don't say it's minute because you must mutiply it by every box sold) and help people to learn. :lesson:
  26. nobackwheel

nobackwheel Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, got myself the HDR FOX-T2 from humax direct.

Very pleased with it (although i've only had it for 1 night!) - just one problem though, the first time i installed it all via the wizard, the video worked fine, but the audio was not on - panic. I quickly googled any issues and found that if i turn it off/on then it should be ok.

Is this ok? I have read that it's down to HDMI and the link between the humax and the TV (Sony Bravia).

Is there any other way I can make this better? I don't think my wife will be too impressed after spending lots of money on something that doesn't 'work' all of the time.

I presume also, that even though there may not be sound when viewing live TV (due to the HDMI issue) that the actual programmes when recorded will have audio recorded?

Might be very silly questions i know, but I've upgraded from a VCR (which i don't think i've used in about 4 years!)
  27. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,070
    Turn up the box volume using the HDR remote. If using with a TV only for audio turn off the digital audio out.
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  28. Black Hole

Black Hole Member

Ratings:
    +217
    I get HDMI sound issues between my HD-FOX and Qumi projector, which do sometimes require a reboot to cure. Sometimes my LG TV is slow picking up the sound from my HDR-FOX by HDMI, but it's never actually failed completely.

If you don't find the suggestions in post 267 helpful, you might find bypassing the HDMI problem by taking the analogue sound output from the Humax is more convenient than hit-and-miss reboots - that's what I do with my HD-FOX/Qumi combo.
  29. nobackwheel

nobackwheel Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I turned it up to max - there was nothing until i turned it off/on again

I will try the other thing

Should the TV automatically switch to hdmi 4 when i turn the humax on? Or does it depend on what hardware is connected? My blu-ray player (also Sony) goes straight to the correct source.

One more thing - i need to get a new aerial lead to loop through to the TV - will any old cheapo lead do? I thought I had one for my old VCR, but it turned out to be male-male

Thanks
  30. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,070
    Auto hdmi selection requires the box and TV support CEC. Humax boxes don't have cec. (Panny call it Viera Link, Sony call it Bravia Sync)

All you need for the lead you have is a female-female UHF coupler. (A few pence at B&Q). The patch lead should be adequately screened (hdmi can cause problems with poorly screened coax cables)

To use the rf loopthrough you will have to turn off power saving in sby.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.