Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Humax HDR FOX-T2 HD PVR Master thread - [Part Nine]

Discussion in 'PVRs' started by Gavtech, Dec 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. etaf

etaf Member

Ratings:
    +64
    No It was sorted by time
    Anyway I pushed the blue and that sorrted Alpha - BUT still NO HD channels shown

as i say up until about two days ago this was working Fine
    I would do the search - movie and then click up to the last entry and work back - looking for any films - I would see the +1 channels first and move up till i got to the HD version - so i know it worked OK

And I setup shrek the third on BBC1HD - that was Tuesday
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,096
    How odd as I said mine's a HD FOX T2 but I can't imagine that makes any difference.

Attached Files:

3. etaf

etaf Member

Ratings:
    +64
    its very strange , as it was working fine when it did not reach the 400 limit , and it was only reading here today - that i tried again

Education with just 27 entries are fine

I'm on CPalace
  4. PhilipL

PhilipL Active Member

Ratings:
    +460
    Hi

Obviously it does :rotfl:

It's searching in a different order on your box, so HD channels get searched before the limit is reached, someone else's box with a different database order searches HD channels later and has run into the maximum limit before reaching them on some genres.

There is no puzzle here, that is all it is.

Regards

Phil
  5. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,096
    They have near identical firmware. You can actually kid a HD FOX T2 it's a HDR FOX T2 to allow it to decrypt SD recordings. The channel database comes from Freeview, anyone on the same transmitter will have the same data.
  6. PhilipL

PhilipL Active Member

Ratings:
    +460
    Hi

That may be so, but the database unless it is told to do an 'order by' on the channel listing by a field that will create a common sort order between the two boxes, it can not be guaranteed to be the same search result. That's just how these things work sometimes.

Regards

Phil
  7. Andy Fox

Andy Fox Member

Ratings:
    +11
    No problems with HD Mux strength/quality, but guess what... just tried it again and the HD movies have come back!

All seems very odd. They weren't there yesterday.
  8. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,096
    Getting some checks done by a friend with both boxes. So far he reports the HDR has both HD and SD and the HD only SD :confused:
  9. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,096
    One of life's little mysteries, we may never know the answer :D
  10. karl.g

karl.g Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I recently had to backup recordings to a USB drive attached to my HDR. Most recordings went there without problems and still play. However, ITV HD content became .ts files with no information and now look lost forever. Does anyone know if this is the case, because BBC HD material works fine and plays directly from the backup drive?
  11. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,096
    ITV1-HD should play back from usb just the same as BBC HD content. If you examine the drive on a PC there should be 3 matching files for each recording. xxxx.ts xxxx.hmt and xxxx.nts.

Are the originals still on the internal hdd ?
  12. Black Hole

Black Hole Member

Ratings:
    +219
    Did you hit the 4GB limit for a FAT32 drive? Also, you should note that unless you "Foxyed" the HiDef before the copy, any HiDef content you copied to the USB remains encrypyed and unplayable on anything other that the original Humax box (the StDef content will have been decrypted when copied).

The 4GB limit terminates the file rather than making it unplayable (IIRC), so possibly that is not your problem. I have had copy failures on occasion, sometimes the copy never ends and I have to force it to stop (the resulting file is corrupt).
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  13. Ginkgo

Ginkgo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a few newbie questions.

1. Does 'Accurate Recording' actually work? Let's say I want to record A Question of Sport in its nominal 7:30 pm weekday slot (nearer to 7:27 pm in reality) - will I miss the start, or do I have to pad the start of the recording manually?

2. Is it possible to select the multichannel audio format over HDMI, or is transcoding of HE-AAC5.1 to DD5.1 obligatory?

3. Is there any way to get rid of the annoying password protection? I'm not a child, and don't need passwords!

Thanks in advance.
  14. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,096
    For most of the main channels yes AR works and the BBC are generally very reliable. The box watches for the broadcaster to signal the start from 15 mins before so in your example you would get the full programme. If you pad manually AR and Series recording won't work.

Freeview-HD channels use aac audio. Unless you have audio kit with aac decoding downmixing to DD (It's not all 5.1 lots is DD2.0) or lpcm is required.

Not sure what you mean about passwords, unless you sewt one up using parental guidance there aren't any apart from access to the setup menus (0000 by default)
  15. Ginkgo

Ginkgo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the answers.

I don't have an amp (yet) and was wondering what the decoding options are. The digital audio options are for stereo or multichannel - no mention of AAC or DD. Ideally, if I buy an amp that accepts AAC5.1 I would like the PVR to output AAC - otherwise there isn't much point having an amp with AAC.

I've noticed that every time I want to delete a channel, or do anything in the setup menu, I am asked to enter a password. This seems a bit OTT.
  16. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,096
    I can't give you a definitive answer but I would imagine that Freeview-HD boxes are capable of identifying amps with aac decoding so would only convert to dolby dig if required.
  17. ejstubbs

ejstubbs Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Whoa there: series link works just fine with padding enabled! Or was that not what you meant?
  18. karl.g

karl.g Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the answer. I found all three format files when looking from the computer. As soon as I reconnect to the Humax I just see a .ts file though and it states the format is unsupported. Copying back to the Humax drive doesn't change anything either. I guess those files became corrupt somehow and I deleted from the internal drive unfortunately.
  19. Black Hole

Black Hole Member

Ratings:
    +219
    To clarify, by "pad manually" Graham means going into the recording schedule and editing the recording times directly. That will convert the recording into a manual one, and it will start and stop the recording at the times set (just like an old-school VCR) regardless of broadcast schedule updates. Nobody does this (as far as I know).

The main debate is between Accurate Recording and Auto-Padding. If you go into the settings menu for recording preferences, there is the option to set pre- and post-padding; if both these are off (zero) your recordings will be automatically AR, if either of them is set to a non-zero value the recordings will be made at the scheduled EPG times with an extra allowance before and after according to what is set (I use 1 minute pre and 5 mins post).

Auto-Padding recording schedules track last-minute changes to the broadcast as long as the update makes it to the EPG soon enough before the recording starts. AR recordings wait for broadcast markers to start and stop the recording, but if a cock-up results in the markers not being broadcast at the right time or at all the recording will be off-time or lost. However, AR does provide some insurance against live events over-running, or programmes starting up to 15 minutes early.

There has been a lot of hearsay about it over the months, and there are concerted trials under way at the moment in connection with the customised software project, but broadly speaking if you do ANY recordings away from the main-stream channels (BBC, ITV, C4) you have a reasonable chance of losing some with AR. I have personal experience of it not being 100% reliable with BBC either, but I've not lost a prime-time recording (yet).

With the standard firmware, AR/Padding is a global selection made in the settings screens and applies to all recordings (except manual ones); the custom software project is close to releasing a method to choose on a channel-by-channel or recording-by-recording basis which programmes are recorded AR and which auto-padding (and provide arbitrary padding values).

Yup, it's a pain. You would hope that it would ask for a password first time and then not bother again until you leave that particular function.
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  20. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,096
    You said manual padding, series recording will only work if you you use auto padding which is a universal automatically added adjustment to all recordings.
  21. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,096

No it doesn't. We already know the Humax Freeview boxes only update the epg while on (And also not recording). To make a auto padded recording the box wakes up at the time specified by the schedule plus the adjustment time. There is no way the box can check the epg at this time and indeed the programme may have already started. The last possible epg check is the last time the box was booted without any recording activity. For those using autopadding this may well be the last programmed overnight wake up to refresh the epg. Without this you can't use autopadding for longer than a week as you run out of epg.
  22. petrev

petrev Active Member

Ratings:
    +947
    FreeView HD boxes do not detect the Amp capabilities they just (some) have the ability to transcode from AAC to DD. This is selectable as ON/OFF in a Menu. Some have an AUTO DD Function but this just switches the DD on or off depending on the capabilities detected.

The Panasonic FreeView+HD BDR/DVR boxes may have AAC to multi-channel LPCM HDMI output rather than transcoding.

Pete
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  23. Black Hole

Black Hole Member

Ratings:
    +219
    I'm an engineer, I stand by what I wrote - "soon enough" means the last time the box was able to update the EPG before the recording (which in my case would be the early-morning timed wake-up, if not later). Also there is no bar on leaving the box on, or it being in use when the recording starts.

As Graham has pointed out, users of Auto-Padding need to ensure their box fully wakes up (not just half awake to record something) periodically, to keep the EPG updated and thus ensure series recordings reschedule the next episode. This is a Humax bug, and the wake-up is a work-around. Two ways to do this: set timed on/off in the menus (needs to be reinstated after a firmware update), or set a manual reminder in the recording schedule (needs to be reinstated after a retune), for 20 minutes at about 6 in the morning. Custom software users also benefit from a periodic wake-up, because it ensures the box can access the remote service regularly and download any schedule updates that may have been set up away from home.

AR avoids this bug, as it appears to update the EPG during the 15-minute "get ready" stage waiting for the programme start marker (but do we know what would happen on AR recording ONLY a fortnightly series without an insurance wake-up?). Personally I recommend everyone (padding or AR) uses a daily wake-up as insurance (it's a zero cost option).
  24. Lizzybif

Lizzybif Member

Ratings:
    +39
    I've had my HDR Fox T2 since September and about a month ago it started shutting down and rebooting randomly.
    It was about once a week (I think) at first but has been happening every few days now.
    It's a real pain if it happens when recording as, of course, this stops!

Any ideas why this happens and how to resolve it?

It has the latest software.
  25. Black Hole

Black Hole Member

Ratings:
    +219
    Most likely a dicky power supply. Check you are not overheating it (it is in free air and not jammed in with loads of other stuff?) and if that is OK get it replaced.
  26. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,096
    There is no such menu option on the Humax Freeview HD boxes. Mine outputs AC3 audio and the only option is to downmix to lpcm stereo. I have no idea what would happen if connected to an AV amp with aac decoding (my amplifier is too old to have the capability). In any case not even sure if aac offers any significant audio advantage over ac3. It's inclusion in Freeview was merely to give audio description capabilities without the need for an extra audio track.

I doubt very much if any other Freeview-HD boxes have such an option, not sure which other ones even do the conversion.
  27. quarryhunslet

quarryhunslet Member

Ratings:
    +66
    "Zero Cost" apart from the extra electricity used, and extra wear and tear required for this unnecessary additional activity of the box.:rolleyes:
  28. petrev

petrev Active Member

Ratings:
    +947
    Hi

The Humax T2 calls it's Options > Multi Channel - Stereo

Multi Channel : gives DD if DD/DD+ or AAC is Broadcast
    PCM Stereo if MPEG.

Stereo : gives PCM for all Broadcasts.

This is the same as DD (Output/Transcoding) : ON/OFF

The DigitalStream DHR has DD : AUTO/ON/OFF
    The SONY has DD : ON(AUTO)/OFF
  29. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,096
    That's entirely different to your post.

I said

I merely omitted reference to SD channels as in the context of the post it's irrelevant

All Freeview-HD channels use aac audio. There are no sources of Dolby Digital. There is no way to select that the digital audio outputs output the original aac source.

The poster wanted to know if he could force the box to output aac to a suitable amplifier.

At least for Humax boxes there is not.

There are only two digital output options for HD channels Dolby Digital (5.1 or 2.0 depending on broadcast) and lpcm stereo. Have you ever used a Humax HD box, there is no options menu.

It's Menu/Settings/preferences/Audio/ Stereo/MultiChannel - mine is set to multi-channel.

Listening to BBC1-HD now and the DD icon on my amplifier is currently lit and amp shows prologic surround. For 5.1 content the amp says D Digital and again the DD icon lights.
  30. petrev

petrev Active Member

Ratings:
    +947
    You said . . .

I said . . .
    You said . . .

Changed your mind there ???

I said . . .

Wow - Way to split hairs . . . Never said it had an Options Menu - just that it had 2 Options called Multi Channel and Stereo - PDF Manual p49.
    You agree there are 2 options !

Your Amp is showing that for AAC 2.0 Source the Humax Outputs DD2.0 and your Amp is set to process this to ProLogic Surround. For AAC5.1 source material then DD5.1 is output.

Have fun
    Pete
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.