Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Humax HD-FOX T2 HD Receiver Master thread [Part One]

Discussion in 'Freeview Forum' started by Stu-13, Feb 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oggie

Oggie Active Member

Ratings:
    +613
    Mine arrived today and gotta say I'm very pleased. Yes my tv's tunner is a bit better for SD channels but this was expected. Have not updated firmware as waiting for HDD to arrive, love the way lipsync can be adjusted. Overall great buy :thumbsup:
  2. Costas

Costas Member

Ratings:
    +122
    It is fine with mine.... it does not take longer to pause live TV
  3. snozski

snozski Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi guys

Just installed the update, was wondering what size external drive you recommend ? I got no idea what size recorded programs take up ? . I

know its a bit like asking how long is a piece of string, however I'd be interested to know what size you guys been using.
    Is 500gb enough ?
    Just get a western digital elements ?

TIA

Steve
  4. kbfern

kbfern Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,965
    I use a 1TB western elements from PC world £53.A 500gb is about £45 so get the bigger drive you won't regret it.

So far the most programmes I have had on it were about 25, a mix of 2hr films and 1hr programmes and it still had 700gb free.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. lbear

lbear Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    Your box will probably pick it up automatically as soon as you power up and ask you if you want to install. This takes about 20-30 minutes so you may want to power off and power on later tonight and leave it to do its thing. It will also do a complete retune. The download variation was for us impatient types who have been waiting for the PVR function since we got them ages ago.

I have posted as a .pdf the new icons you get. See a few posts back.

The system takes up 20Gb so anything above that can be used for recording. Humax bundle a 160Gb external drive with the "revision 1" version. 500Gb drives go from about £35 for a desktop version with a power supply. This will avoid worrying about the power drain on the USB port.

It really depends if you intend archiving on the hard drive - entire series or the films shown over Christmas for example. Ideally, you should delete once you have finished watching as much as possible, just like any PVR.

Of course you may also wish to transfer your video, photo and audio files later but you will need (as far as have been able to work out) to do this under Linux as Windows will not recognise the file system.

>>> All

Anybody tried using a USB hub to access two drives and transfer files yet??

I notice the "Network" setup option has now become "Internet" but the portal button is not yet functioning.
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  6. brookheather

brookheather Active Member

Ratings:
    +891
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. r16pab

r16pab Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Again Thanks (lbear)for the icons. I got beta version at the end of august 1 month before most, through support, And had to test for a month. But new version seems to be slightly different from beta as gsod (green screen of death has gone). Thanks Seems to be working ok for me with everthing i throw at it. Recommend download from www.humaxdigital.co.uk as it take sabout 30 mins to come down over the air. I never had to rescan channels and everything was the same as i left it, good job as i pick up 3 different transmitters and its a nightmare to tune.
  8. lbear

lbear Active Member

Ratings:
    +336

A 500Mb Hitachi is £40 from Comet. Currys digital shops (part of the same Dixons Retail Group as PC World) were doing it for the same but I think have now stopped it as a "back to school special".
  9. fred67

fred67 Member

Ratings:
    +10
    hmmm I still cannot pick up any HD channels! Have upgraded firmware to the latest but still no BBCHD etc.
  10. pretri

pretri Member

Ratings:
    +33
    Are you sure you are pointing to Blackhill?

If you go to Menu, Settings, System, Signal Detection, then right arrow on the wheel you get a list of channels

41, 44, 47, 51, 55, 65 are SD, then 59 is HD. Check what the strength and quality are on each channel.
  11. fred67

fred67 Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Hi I only have channels 23,26,29,33,39,41 and 42! Signal strength is approximately 31% with 100% quality.
  12. pretri

pretri Member

Ratings:
    +33
    those are the channels for Craigkelly, HD broadcasts are not available from there until next year.
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  13. fred67

fred67 Member

Ratings:
    +10
    thanks petri-any idea how i get it to see the blackhill transmitter?
  14. pretri

pretri Member

Ratings:
    +33
    Hi fred67, you would need to realign the aerial to point to Blackhill, I think you said it was in the loft?

The DTG :: Industry site will give you the bearing to use if you enter your postcode and house number. Maybe it will also show if there was a reason for using Craigkelly instead of Blackhill.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. fred67

fred67 Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Hi petri
    Yeah the aerial is in the loft but have no idea o fhow to adjust it to the correct angle-and suggestions?
  16. pretri

pretri Member

Ratings:
    +33
    Craigkelly is roughly northeast of Livingston, whereas Blackhill is to the west, so the exact angle will depend on where you are. But you need to physically swivel the aerial to point west.

If you PM me your postcode and house number I'll look them up on the dtg site for you and give you the angle. You'd need a compass though to be reasonable accurate.
  17. halfwave

halfwave Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have a new Fox T2 from the Ebay link in an earlier post, and it absolutely stop on. I have successfully recorded and transferred a standard definition file from the USB hard disk to my PC but so far I have not been able to find any program that will either play or convert the file. I have read other posts that refer to the file being a M2TS format and I have tried TS Doctor which only tells me the PTM is invalid. Are there any PC programs that can convert these files to a playable format?
  18. lbear

lbear Active Member

Ratings:
    +336

Blimey well done! I presume you must be using a form of Linux to read the hard drive? I know the DRM means you cannot play HD files on anything other than the original box.

Have you tried the player program VLC? This will play about anything thrown at it, is free, and has versions for Windows, Mac and Linux. Download from VideoLAN - VLC media player as there are several sites that hijack the name to sell services or even the program itself.

It will not provide you with a work-around if there is a DRM issue with SD files.
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  19. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,107
    SD should be a pretty standard transport stream file. It would be pretty surprising if vlc player can't play it back or videoredo TV Suite can't edit it and burn to dvd.

IF you can put a small clip on a fs share site I will have a play to see what's possible.

You can also try the free DVDflick to see if it accepts the files and burn to dvd
  20. brookheather

Ratings:
    +891
    I believe the Humax encrypts ALL SD and HD recordings on the hard drive - you cannot play the files directly from the hard drive - you must export them to another drive which will will unencrypt the SD recording and then it can be played in VLC etc.

- Simon.
  21. everett_psycho

everett_psycho Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,054
    if i ever get time (looks doubtful for a while though i'm afraid) i'm trying to get my old PC running linux and will see about getting you guys some files to play with from it. It's being a bit of a pup to install it though and driving me mad so it might be a while :(
  22. halfwave

halfwave Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi yes I found a utility (Ext2Read) that allows windows 7 to read the PVR hard drive. I have tried VLC but it cannot open the .ts files.
  23. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,107
    Why would they bother with unecessary processing ?

Have you tried connecting the drive to a linux booted PC to transfer the files. A Foxsat-hdr records SD in the clear.
  24. pretri

pretri Member

Ratings:
    +33
    I've just tried it with a short clip of lunchtime news from BBC1 SD, transferred through a Ubuntu virtual PC to windows. VLC cant display the clip, DVD Flick gives an error.

I dont know if it's encryption or just the format.
  25. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,107
    It's possibly a non standard header and vlc does not find the video data. Seems odd that a usb transfer works though. Very strange :confused:

May be Humax decided to encrypt everything for convenience and unscramble it for usb transfers as already said. Have you got videoredo to try that ?
  26. pretri

pretri Member

Ratings:
    +33
    I dont have videoredo but it would be interesting to know why it doesn't work. I could PM you a link to dropdox to download the file if you want to try it.
  27. brookheather

Ratings:
    +891
    Yes this is what I did - I upgraded my 500GB drive to 2TB and transferred the files to the new drive and some to my PC drive as well. I was not able to play any of the SD or HD files on my PC. They may not be encrypted as such - just a non-standard format but in any case you cannot use VLC to directly play the recorded SD files.

- Simon.
  28. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,107
    Yes I would love to have a play out of sheer curiousity :D
  29. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,107
    Have to concur there is something very strange about the file. Nothing I have will open it (amongst others TSmuxergui and video-redo). It can't be just the video data is scrambled. For instance vlc will open a scrambled H264 .ts file from a Foxsat-hdr and play it back but of course the picture is a complete mess. When I get time I will try and look at what's going on.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  30. nwhitfield

nwhitfield Active Member

Ratings:
    +261
    I'd say the whole file is probably encrypted, likely using AES or something like that. It's perhaps simplest (and avoids any bugs accidentally failing to encrypt) to do that to everything, and then actually apply the content controls via the user interface when you try to copy material off the box.

I suspect there's probably even hardware within the box that will handle this, as it's likely to be a common requirement for a lot of kit.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.