Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Humax FreeSat External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'PVRs' started by enquisiter, Nov 8, 2010.

1. enquisiter

enquisiter Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a HUMAX FOXSAT Freesat system and have connected an external hard drive (formatted FAT32 ) and it sees it fine. My question is can i record tv programs to this drive instead of the onboard drive? If i do this can this then be viewed if i plug the disk into another TV without the Humax unit?
    or can i copy the internal hard drive recordings to the external drive and then use on another TV?

If so... How?

Many thanks
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,102
    You can't record directly to the external drive, you have to copy the recordings from the internal hdd. You can't view the transport stream files on another TV directly. A PC will play them back using vlc player. If you have a laptop with dvi or hdmi out and a HD TV you could connect a laptop to the TV to view them
  3. enquisiter

enquisiter Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that... can you tell me how i transfer from the internal drive to the external?

Thanks again

Martin:)
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,102
    Connect the usb device and wait for the confirmation message.

Press media - opt+ and choose file manager.

Cursor right to the usb device and press OK to open it to it's root folder.

Cursor left and then up/down to the recording you want to copy. Press green to copy.

If you have more than one press yellow to enter edit mode, put a tick by pressing OK on the ones you wan't to copy then press green to copy them all.

FAT32 has a 4GB file size limit, larger files than this need an EXT3 forrmatted drive
  5. bawddwr

bawddwr Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting! I'm about to go and buy an external HD for our Humax Freesat+ HDR box. I assume any external HD will do as long as it's formatted to FAT32. I'd been looking at the Lacie 'LeCinema' drives. Are they an option as they are FAT32 'ready' as it were. Any hints/advice much appreciated! Thanks!