1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Humax Foxsat-HDR - What format does it record in?

Discussion in 'PVRs' started by ahfh1, Oct 25, 2009.

1. ahfh1

ahfh1 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

I've read that once you've recorded something on the Humax Foxsat HDR, you can then transfer the recording to an external device e.g. USB stick. Just wondering what format the recording is in? Is it MPEG, and can you watch it on, say, a Windows PC and then convert it onto a DVD?

Thanks
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,070
    SD recordings are a mpeg2 transmission stream file (.ts). These can be converted without loss to programme stream mpeg2 (.mpg), any dvd authoring package can burn these to dvd. You can play them without conversion using the free vlc player (vlc player can also convert to lots of different formats).

If you want a user friendly programme that does the lot (including editing out ads) look at Videoredo TVsuite (It's not free though)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. ahfh1

ahfh1 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Awesome.

If I use VideoRedo, do you know how long it will typically take to convert a football Champions League match? So say I've recorded the match (a whopping 3 hours long including match analysis), how long will it take to back up the programe to a USB stick, take out the adverts using the automated feature, do the authoring, and finally burn onto DVD? If all this takes less than an hour I'd be happy!

Thanks
  4. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,070
    Your first potential problem is that a 3hr recording will likely exceed the 4Gb file limit for a fat32 usb drive so you will have to use a linux formatted EXT3 device. Video redo is very fast at its output depending on the speed of your PC depending on the nos of ads you are probably talking about 15 mins to create the mpg file. However if you wan't to fit 3hrs on a single layer blank DVD then you will need to reduce the bitrate which reduces picture quality especially for sports with fast moving action. If it were me I would split the match into two halves (simple with Videoredo) and record each half to a seperate single layer blank. If you can record the match in two halves that will also solve the 4Gb file size problem. Record times will depend on the speed of the recorder used and the blanks. However 4 X recording is common so a 3Hr record will take around 45 min.
  5. Gavtech

Gavtech Administrator

Ratings:
    +4,176
    Would there possibly be an issue of copy protection here?

We've had a few complaints of Copy protection flags on Football matches.

[I dare say it is match-dependent]
  6. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,070
    There is no copy protection on SD material on a freesat box only on HD. The files are essentially the same as produced by a Humax9200 Freeview pvr.
  7. Gavtech

Gavtech Administrator

Ratings:
    +4,176
    IIRC - the last case of this was on a freeview recorder [ surprisingly] One of the few cases of this flag being used.
    It may not be the norm.
    As I understand it there have been some very odd rights issues involved in recent football broadcasts.
  8. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,070
    That's interesting, certainly I have never seen a SD protected file ever and over the years I have recorded what must be thousands. In any case if the match was recorded in non-freesat mode on a freesat box the facility to encrypt even copy protected HD material is absent.
  9. nvingo

nvingo Active Member

Ratings:
    +335
    The auto ad removal (unless it's changed since I tried it) is slow and not entirely reliable.
    I can understand not wanting to view a match (during editing) prior to settling down to watch it but the manual ad-removal procedure is simple and quick, taking only a few minutes to identify and mark several transition frames