Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Humax Foxsat HDR Using Triax

Discussion in 'Freesat Forum' started by JaceyBoy, Sep 19, 2012.

1. JaceyBoy

JaceyBoy Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Guys,

I have a Humax box with a Triax box to stream the box through the house, the trouble is I am getting an interferience like sound through all the TV's (except the main TV which is connected to the Humax), ive had a new Triax box fitted but makes no difference, I have even changed the Triax channel to 68 from 38 but makes no change, does anyone have any ideas what I can try?
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,107
    If you remove the aerial input to the tri-link and stick it in your TV, can you view the freesat box remotely ? (you won't of course have any freeview channels)
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  3. JaceyBoy

JaceyBoy Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Not sure what you mean, the Triax box has satellite connections so I cannot put them into my TV
  4. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,107
    Just need a F to Belling Lee adaptor. F connectors aren't specifically satellite just a more modern 75ohm coax termination than the ancient Belling Lees we use for some kit in the UK.

Most decent uhf aerials, amplifiers and splitters use them now.

Just forget connecting to the TV for the moment. Can you describe your coax connections from the point the aerial enters the room ? How is the tri-link connected to the freesat box ?
  5. JaceyBoy

JaceyBoy Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Im not to technical on this as I had an aerial man do the install, but the Freesat Box is connected to the Triax via the scrart lead I think....
  6. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,107
    Follow the aerial lead as it comes out of the wall, post how it is routed. It will depend on what other kit you have.

In it's simplest connection the aerial will connect to the tri-link rf in. One of its outputs will go to the TV the other to the return socket to the other TV's.

Remove the rf in connection as suggested, go to one of the remote TV's and select the analogue channel you use to watch the sky box, does it work ?. Having changed the modulator channel you will need to retune to the new frequency on all the TV's connected this way.
  7. JaceyBoy

JaceyBoy Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for your help but this is a bit behond me...:(
  8. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,488
    I'm not clear what the equipment is.
    The Humax is a Freesat satellite receiver?
    What is the Triax, and how do you change channels on it?
    Also let us know for sure how the two are connected to each other, and to the TV.
  9. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,107
    It's a UHF modulator that emulates how a Sky box works. afaik It has one rf input and rf1 and rf2 out just like a sky box. rf2 out has the usual 9V power and works with magic eyes. If chained from rf2 out on a sky box it passes magic eyes signals back to the sky box modulator in the usual way. When connected to a analogue source it lets you create a analogue PAL channel output on both sockets (the second if the Sky box is still present). In addition it retransmits magic eye commands in infra red so any other kit can be controlled by the eyes using a suitable remote at any point where a magic eye is located.

Suspect the terrestrial freeview signal is just too strong and may need attenuating hence trying to find out if the OP disconnects the rf input then to check if the remote TV's now work with the modulator channel.

AS the OP had it professionly installed he should get the installer back to fix it.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. JaceyBoy

JaceyBoy Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I tried that twice, he has replaced the Triax box as well, we are both baffled, he even talked to his supplier about it and they said it was a well known fault and its down to the Humax box, but I thought the boxes were top and wondered how this could be...
  11. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,107
    Doesn't sound to me as if he had much of a clue. Sounds like total BS to me. If it was true someone would have reported same by now.

Reach behind the box at the Left Hand Side there's a rocker switch which turns off the power. If you still have the problem then it's impossible to be anything to do with the box. The box in sby is virtually dead anyway. If by some chance it's now OK. Remove the hdmi cable from the back of the box and power it up, does this eliminate the problem.

I reckon all you need is a £3.00 attenuator, if you wont disconnect the coax input to the tri-link it has to be just a guess.
  12. JaceyBoy

JaceyBoy Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I have turned the Humax box off and the noise goes away, as soon as I reboot and box fires on the channel the noise is back again, could it be I need this attenuator?
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2012
  13. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,488
    Thanks glt - so it's just a Scart-RF modulator, that connects to a receiver by Scart and outputs to an aerial-type co-ax cable, the sort of thing that people use all the time to make their Freesat machines work the same way as Sky machines' RF2 Out sockets do? I was assuming it was something a lot more complicated than that.
    JB: The FS machine is "top" but it's not made to be used with one of these things, so it's not its fault if that doesn't work properly. Do you get the problem equally badly both with the currently selected FS channel and with all the Freeview channels?
  14. JaceyBoy

JaceyBoy Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I get the problem on all channels yes, I can even pause a program and you can hear the fussy ness through the speakers of the TV...
  15. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,107
    No, now we have a chance. Can you pull out the hdmi cable from the back of the foxsat and turn it on again and check again.

Replace the hdmi cable and pull out the scart cable from the triax unit and try again. Post what happens.

Sounds like a screening problem. How thick are the coax cables used for the connections. They aren't the very thin white ones are they ?
  16. JaceyBoy

JaceyBoy Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I have pulled out the HDMI, and that made no difference (noise still there), I also pulled out the scart from the Triax box, and of course I lost picture in the other room, but the noise has gone, but because there is no picture supply?
  17. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,107
    Right now with everything back to normal turn the volume up and down using the foxsat-hdr remote volume control. When its turned right down does it solve the problem on the freeview channels ?
  18. JaceyBoy

JaceyBoy Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Nope doesnt effect anything by turning it up or down...
  19. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,107
    More and more mysterious. Have look behind the Foxsat which scart socket is the cable on the upper one or the lower one ? What channel have you got the trilink set on ? What is your local Freeview transmitter. ?

I have a Foxsat used with a external modulator it works with no issues.
  20. JaceyBoy

JaceyBoy Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Its on the upper scart (TV), our local Freeview Transmitter is Rowridge (Isle Of Wight), the Tri-link channel is set to 68, but we have also tried 38 but that made no difference:confused:
  21. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,107
    Running out of ideas, next one. Menu/Settings/Tv Setup/TV Scart - select CVBS. The lower vcr scart would have been a more appropriate source for the tri-link.
  22. JaceyBoy

JaceyBoy Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Again sorry makes no difference, I will try changing the scart on the Tri-Link tomorrow though to VCR?
  23. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,488
    Agreed, so:
  24. JaceyBoy

JaceyBoy Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Yes sorry the cables are the white ones, not majorly thin though, I will post up some pics in the morning..
  25. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,107
    Many problems are down to poor coax leads. But in this case what you have done so far indicates that isn't the problem. (disconecting the HDMI cable), eliminating uhf radiation from the hdmi cable.

Others are down too to too high a signal to the tri-link from the aerial.

Eliminated by turning off the Foxsat.

UHF radiation from the Foxsat hdmi cable to the near by coax cables eliminated by disconnecting the hdmi cable from the Foxsat.

A clashing uhf channel on the modulator with your local transmitter (CH 68 should be OK, 38 would not be) .

Ruuning out of ideas, need you to follow the aerial lead from wallsocket to all the way to TV and trilink as originally requested. Start at the aerial socket/cable out from the wall and note the box it connects to and the socket it connects to, the socket the aerial connects to after this from these box and so on till it gets to the TV and also to the trilink box.
  26. JaceyBoy

JaceyBoy Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I have taken some pics so you can see what im up against, its very hard to even know which one is the aerial coming into the house...from what I can see the aerial coming in goes to that 12v box?

I also changed the scart on the Humax box to the VCR port, made no difference...:confused:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2012
  27. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,107
    The coax cables look OK quality

Looking at the wall socket, the two connections on the right are the satellite connections to the dish, these connect straight to the Foxsat. One of the connections on the left is the aerial feed the other the return socket feeding the other TV's. The box with the 12V marking is a power supply which means you most likely have a mast head amplifier. You probably don't need the amplifier any more but without removing the amplifier you have to give it power.

While watching TV pull out each of the left sockets in turn the one that loses your picture is the aerial socket.

Starting from the aerial socket follow the lead and note what it first connects to (probably the socket on the power supply marked 12V). Continue following the coax from the power supply, it should connect to the triax in socket. One of the triax out sockets should go to the TV (rf1 out), the other RF2 out should go back to the other socket on the wallplate. Can you check if that's how it's connected if not post how it is ?
  28. JaceyBoy

JaceyBoy Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Ok here we go...

The aerial socket is the second one in from the left, I have attached a pic to show you, if I remove this I lose picture on the DTV

[​IMG]

That aerial then goes to the 12v box, then the black sat cable goes from that 12v box to the RF in on the Tri-Link box

The RF1 Out on the Tri-Link box goes to the TV and the RF2 to the wall socket

The LNB1 in on Humax box goes to the wall socket and so does LNB2 In, hope this helps?
  29. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,107
    Yes that confirms it's connected as it should be.

Only other thing I can think of is the scart cable from the Foxsat to the tri-link. First check the scart cable at the trilink end is in the AV in socket not the AV out socket (left hand side looking at the coax connections)

Can you try another scart cable or better still

Plug one of these into the triax scart

scart adaptor | eBay

Connect to to the 3 phono sockets on the Foxsat Yellow/Red/White (next to lnb2 in). You can use 3 seperate phono cables or a lead like this with 3 cables.

3 RCA Phono Composite Video and Audio Cable 2m | eBay

Just make sure you connect yellow to yellow, red to red and the other to the socket that may be black or white.

B&Q should have the adaptor and cables.
  30. JaceyBoy

JaceyBoy Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I have tried two different scart leads, as the guy who installed said to try this, I have one which is gold plated, I will try another just encase.

I will also give below a try, thanks for all your time and effort on this!