Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Humax FoxSat HDR: Unable to update software/firmware via OTA or USB

Discussion in 'PVRs' started by Sheffield 2010, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Sheffield 2010

Sheffield 2010 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought a Humax FoxSat-HDR 320 GB. Even though I received it a few days ago (from Dixons), the software version is 1.00.13 13/1/2010 - i.e. very old.

I have tried updating the software via both OTA and USB and neither is working.

Details:

Via USB:

1) I've downloaded HDR_FOX_T2_1.01.09.zip, extracted file "hdr_fox_t2_upgrade.hdf" and copied this to the root folder of the USB data key.

2) I've tried:

a) Powering the FoxSat off, inserting the USB data key and powering on. The USB data key light flashes a few times, but the FoxSat displays "BOOT" and boots as normal with no update occurring.

b) Putting the FoxSat into standby mode, inserting the USB data key and pressing the Standby button (i've tried both front panel and remote). USB data key light flashes continuously, but the FoxSat ignores it and after 20 seconds displays the current channel.

3) I've tried three types of USB data key. All are formatted as FAT32.

4) I've tried using both the front and rear USB sockets.

5) I've tried holding the front panel/remote standby button when powering the unit on (via the back panel switch), as one person advised.

---

Via OTA:

1) Both tuner inputs are connected to the satellite dish.

2) The signal strength and quality are 100 % for both tuners (occasionally dropping to 90% for some channels).

3) Using "Menu -> Setup -> Software Update -> Automatic Update" the message "New software is not found" is displayed.

4) Using "Menu -> Setup -> Software Update -> Manual Update" the message "New software is not found" is displayed.

The following are displayed:
    - Satellite: Freesat 28.2E
    - Freq: 0
    - Polarisation: Auto
    - Symbol rate: 27500
    - FEC: Auto

---

I've read all the information I can find on this topic (forums, manuals and manufacturers info). I've also tried earlier updates than 1.01.09.

The current loader version is U7.53.

Is Freesat 28.2 E the correct satellite for the manual software update? Is it possible that my dish is picking up a good signal from FreeSat 28.2 E but not from another satellite that is required for the update?

Is there something else that I have missed?

Should I return the unit?

Please advise.

Thanks,

JB.
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  2. kencar

kencar Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Not sure if it's just a typo on your part but HDR_FOX_T2_1.01.09 is the update for the freeview PVR.

You should be downloading the HD_FOX_T2_upgrade. Think latest version is 1.01.12
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. petrev

petrev Active Member

Ratings:
    +949
    Typo No.2 ? Just ignore anything with T2 in it !

FOXSAT HDR Download Page

Pete
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,099
    The OP has the latest firmware and loader. There is an update expected presumably to 1.00.14 but it won't be till early next year.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Sheffield 2010

Sheffield 2010 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies guys! It wasn't a typo on my part, it was an misunderstanding about the Humax equipment naming convention. It was my first day using Humax (or any other freesat/freeview) equipment.

In any case I should have spotted that "T2" referred to DVB-T2" and was therefore not relevant to FreeSat.

Many thanks for your help, and sorry to waste your time!

I've a few problems with the FoxSat unit - particularly navigating the Guide seems quite slow, and the unit has hung (requiring a power off reset) whilst making timed adjacent recordings on the same channel ("Recording has failed. Unknown reason").

I was trying to update the software to fix these problems before buying a second machine (our terrestial EPG service comes to an end in a few weeks so we are trying to replace our terrestial EPG/HDD/DVD machines) or choosing an alternative. BBC iPlayer on the Humax FoxSat HDR seems very good, though slow to navigate the iPlayer menus when selecting the program.

Is there a list of impending updates/fixes with the next version?

Thanks,

JB.
  6. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,099
    The forthcoming firmware is supposed to solve the bug that stops recording if power is lost other than when the hdr is fully on until the box is manually booted.

Additionally it will allow you to back up the time shift buffer so you can record it.

epg navigation is slow while a new epg is downloaded which you can avoid by using the buffered epg (schedule and then red).

You need to test if your hdr is working correctly in two cable mode. If you installed with one cable then a factory reset is required to recognise the second cable.

Try this

Goto 108 and start an instant recording, goto 109 and start a second. Now try a selection of 3rd channels and test you can live pause all of them.

If this does not work somethings wrong.

The recording failure message normally only means the first recording has overrun the start time of the second just chopping a small amount of time off the beginning of the second. Normally replay will be fine.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  7. Sheffield 2010

Sheffield 2010 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OK, thanks Graham - I'll try those tips out.

(The "Recording has failed" error occurred when trying to record two consecutive 30 minute programmes on C4, and resulted in a single 95 minute recording plus a frozen machine that required a "power off" reboot. I'll try recording the same two programmes tomorrow and see if the problem occurs again. This morning when it occurred the machine was displaying the iPlayer main screen (having finished playing a programme) during the timed recordings, and that may have been a factor. We've had a couple of machine hangs when navigating the iPlayer content).

JB.
  8. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,099
    C4 regularly screw up the accurate recording codes sent with now/next epg data. It's been reported many times, despite numerous complaints they still can't get it right. Workaround is go into the schedule identify CH4 recordings press yellow and edit the start/end times and set a repeat pattern if you need one. This creates a manual recording.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1