Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Humax Foxsat-HDR problem

Discussion in 'PVRs' started by mbradley, Feb 26, 2009.

1. mbradley

mbradley Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I have bought a FOXSAT HDR. 2 cables to LNB1 & 2 have been installed so that I can record one channel, while watching another. The problem is that when I record one channel, the other channels show "no or bad signal". Any thoughts ?
  2. Gavtech

Gavtech Administrator

Ratings:
    +4,220
    Welcome to the forum.

Does it apply to all channels/ muxes?

I don't know the details of this box, but I assume it has separate inputs for each tuner , plus a link cable?

If so, whilst the box is in the condition you describe, try taking the incoming feed and swap it into the other tuner input [ ignoring all links].

If this restores the 'other channel' then it suggests that the signal loading imposed by the first tuner is too great. [... which better aerial signal may cure, by boosting perhaps ]

If it does not restore the picture... it suggests the unit has a problem.

[ Edit - Oh dear - I seem to be having a problem today. I missed that this is an HD box. Ignore all above.]
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,096
    Guess one of your cables is not properly connected or you have a duff lnb. Check you have the 2 cables connected to the lnb1 in and lnb2 in connections (ie you have not accidentally connected one to lnb1 out), put any wrong connections right (don't forget to switch the box off the lnb connections carry live ac and dc lnb signalling). Then do a factory reset and your stb should return a message stating 2 cables recognised. If it says 1 then you have a faulty connection or a dud lnb. If it says two that's great.

If it says only one switch off and switch the infeeds and repeat to see what the stb says if this time it says no signal then you have a duff lnb or connection to lnb1 in.

To test after installation try this

Tune to 108 (BBC HD) and press the red button to start an instant recording
    Tune to 951 (BBC 1 CI) and also start recording

You should now be able to watch any other channel and press pause to pause the live stream.

If this works you are 100% operational :D:D

Fingers crossed

Graham
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  4. mbradley

mbradley Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup: Thank you Gavtech and thank you Graham. One of the cables was in the "out" socket - I moved it to "in 2" and all is fine.
    I suppose I should have looked at the back of the box before I asked, but it was installed by the man who installed my dish. He must have had a bad day. With my level of technical knowledge, I can't imagine contributing anything sensible to the forum - but thanks again.
  5. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,096
    Great news - happy viewing :D
  6. Wayang

Wayang Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Hear hear! I sympathise, so can I add my own two cents' worth please? I got mine installed yesterday but there are two problems. I have been through the instruction book with a fine-tooth comb but can't find out the solutions:

-I can't make Off the default position for subtitles. Selecting Off via Sub only works for the current programme. Switching to another channel brings them back, as does switching back to the same one

-I can't see any way of opening the front panel. It does not seem to be hinged and I am afraid of forcing it. There is a clear illustration of the layout in the book but nothing on this point

Any suggestions gratefully received. Nice otherwise, with 104 Freesat (though not much HD) and 34 radio channels.
  7. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,096
    Feel towards the top at extreme left it has a recess so just pull the flap forwards. There is also a film protector over the display that's damn near impossible to spot and if you leave it on appears to reduce the remote control range. Sorry not come across the sub problem. If no one else comes along with an answer try a factory reset. (cures many an odd problem).
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Wayang

Wayang Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Many thanks, found the flap opening. No foil as far as I can see so maybe the installer removed it.

Another problem (I hope the last). To operate, the (32" 1080i Panny) TV has first to be turned on. Adjusting the sound level on the TV means it is too low for the PVR. Adjusting with the PVR on means a great blast of sound from the TV when turning off the PVR, or when turning on the TV again if it is switched off first, before the PVR. It should surely be possible to equalise these - but how?
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2009
  9. Gavtech

Gavtech Administrator

Ratings:
    +4,220
    Use the V+ V- button on the Foxsat remote [On the right - Just below the colour buttons] to adjust the volume of the Foxsat output to match that of the TV.
  10. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,096
    I doubt very much the installer removed it. It's very very hard to spot. A fingernail at the edge will usually lift it slightly. Leaving it on impacts on the remote control performance.
  11. mac_no1

mac_no1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same problem as Wayang and want to sync my TV/FoxSat volume controls. There was a way to do this in either my Panasonic Viera TV or Sky+ box but I can't remember how I did it. Its frustrating to need two remotes to keep adjusting volumes.

I don't understand what buttons the V+ V- are? To the right of the FoxSat remote, below the coloured buttons I have the Guide, Back & P (up/down) buttons. To the left I have Media, Exit & the Volume symbol (up/down). Only bought it today so maybe they've changed the remote labels since buying yours?

Help :lease: !!!!
  12. Gavtech

Gavtech Administrator

Ratings:
    +4,220
    I don't actually have one. I was working from a manual diagram.
    It is quite possible the layout is different.

The remote in the manual is labelled 'RM 108' at the bottom - Maybe you have a different number?

It seems to me a bit daft putting volume controls for a source device actually on the remote.
    Ideally they should be buried in menus via software control... because they are not meant to be dynamically 'used'... but rather as a 'preset'

You should set the TV to a normal listening level for its own channels - then turn on Foxsat and try to match the level . Keep switching between TV / Foxsat sources until they seem reasonably balanced.

Thereafter the controls should be left alone and only the TV controls used for changing volume levels.

If there is a graphic level display - make a mental note of where it is, so you can return to it to the same level if you inadvertently change the setting.
  13. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,096
    The design's not changed the remote described is for the Foxsat-HD.

HDR

http://www.pvrjunction.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/foxsatremotewtr.jpg

HD

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...g&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=3&ct=image&cd=1
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  14. walkmb

walkmb Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What is the function of the LNB1 output? Is it used to enable a direct link to a second tv (similar to the sky+ box) and, if so, is it possible to watch recorded programmes on the second tv?
  15. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,096
    It's designed to allow the hdr to be used with only 1 cable. You connect the tuner 1 out to tuner 2 in. In this way the second tuner can record any channels in the same band as tuner 1 is using. A universal lnb is switched by the tuner into one of four bands so only those channels in the same band is available to the second tuner. By a happy coincidence the majority of freesat's channel are contained in just 2 bands so the second tuner can have close to 50% of available channels to record. It can be used to feed a seperate sat tuner with the same restrictions as above. If you set the foxsat to no power saving in sby then a full comnplement of channels is available to the tuner 1 out with the foxsat in sby.

To watch the foxsat on a seperate TV you need either a remote video sender or to add a uhf modulator and connect this with a coax to the remote TV
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  16. walkmb

walkmb Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply - I will start investigating uhf modulators
  17. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,096
  18. SDH

SDH Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I seem to have 'lost' the delete option from the list of options when selecting a recording.
    Anybody have any ideas as to what this maybe ?
    Thanks
  19. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,096
    You currently can't delete while the stb is recording. A late bug forced a quick firmware upgrade to avoid disc file structure corruption under some circumstances. Hopefully a new firmware will resolve this one.
  20. SDH

SDH Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that and I'm sure I will have more questions as I find my way around !!!!!
  21. SDH

SDH Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Already I have another question.
    From the EPG it will not start an 'instant recording' for a program that is currently on when I press the record button. Hopefully somebody can help.
  22. Wideband

Wideband Member

Ratings:
    +44
    Nope you cannot do that with programmes that have already started.

If you view the channel, and then press record button you can, and with a second press of the record button, you can alter the duration of the recording.
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  23. SDH

SDH Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    If I want to record a program that has already started and it gives me the HD> option on the top right of the EPG how do I find the HD version of the programme if it is not currently playing ?
    ie. I wanted to record Yellowstone lastnight whilst it was on BBC2 and it showed that it was available in HD> but it was not on the BBC HD channel.
  24. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,096

It's on Wednesday night, if you press OK on the SD 101 version it's clever enough to offer you the Wed HD option before it actually started. Alternatively do a epg search for the title.
  25. SDH

SDH Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Yes but if ,as was the case last night,you cannot press ok to get that option if it has already started recording.As asked in my previous post you cannot set a recording from the EPG if the program has already started.You have to go to that channel and start the recording from there.Isn't that right.
  26. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,096
    That's why I said use search to find the alternate HD event to cover that situation.
  27. SDH

SDH Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks ,it just seemed a long way round to do it but I'm getting the hang of it
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2009
  28. Ringo1

Ringo1 Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Hi guys.

Just bought the Foxsat HDR today. After setting it up (with one line in), and immediately appreciating how slick it looks on screen, there are two lingering problems which are taking the gloss off my purchase.

The first is my inability to capture ITV HD on the automatic scan (BBC1 HD was picked up fine and looks great). I have re-tuned 3 times and reset to factory settings. [Interestingly, the first time I scanned I picked up 117 TV channels; the second and third time I only picked up 111]

The second is the incredibly short range the remote control has (less than 3 feet) - I have removed the protective film from the front of the unit.

Grateful for any advice anyone can offer.
  29. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,096
    You can't capture ITV HD as it's not a proper TV channel. To access it you have to press the red button when it's actually transmitting or programme the HD version to record. Open the epg and go to Sunday night at 20:00 on ITVG 1 and look at the top right hand corner you should see a HD icon. Press OK and choose the HD version (Stephen Tomkinsons Balloon), the following programme Kingdom is alsi in HD. THe following Sunday has 3 HD programmes in a row.

The remote control problem is due to the prescence of a near invisible second protective film under the flap covering the display
  30. Ringo1

Ringo1 Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Graham,

Many thanks for your helpful reply. If I still have this unit the next time ITV HD broadcasts I will do as you suggest.

I have aready removed the inner protective film (found out about this somewhere else after submitting my previous post) but it has made no difference, nor has changing the batteries. Even with the flap left open the remote's range is limited to about two and a half feet. I think I will return the unit to the shop later today.