1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Humax Foxsat HDR EPG slowdown

Discussion in 'Freesat' started by prawlin, Nov 9, 2010.

1. mrmarky

mrmarky Member

Ratings:
    +51
    Thought there must be some bug, I was trying to set up a recording for Big Brother gave up in the end and set it via the banner, tried twice through the guide seems to take a lifetime, you could make a brew - drink it - hoover the house - have a bath and finally it would be nearly done.
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC Active Member

Ratings:
    +393
    I understand that the reason for the change is catch late changes to program and series identify information by broadcasters which resulted in unrecorded programmes.
  3. prawlin

prawlin Member

Ratings:
    +3
    The EPG seems to have suddenly got much worse. It freezes completely when trying to skip forwards/ backwards using the 2hour skip or 1 day skip. Have to power down the box to reset it. Seems ok but still stupidly slow in other channels as far as I can see today.

Anyone else getting this?

I wish Humax would sort out this box firmware once and for all it s so buggy and slow.

Peter
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,070
    Instead of pressing Guide, press the Schedule Button followed by the Red button.
  5. timread

timread Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I've been seeing the same issue as prawlin for about the last 4 days - going into Guide and anything beyond one page down operation appears to freeze the guide for well over a minute. 'Receiving programme information' in the top right. I power cycled it last night. It doesn't happen every time but it's definitely worse than usual. Loader version U7.54, Update 20 Sep 2011 - so it's not a recent firmware update that's made it worse.

Good to know the Schedule + Red button trick, that's much faster.
  6. JaceyBoy

JaceyBoy Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Do you think they will do anything to sort this out?, we have only had this box a couple of weeks but the epg is hellishly slow:rolleyes:
  7. prawlin

prawlin Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Graham

Yes thanks or the work around to avoid the EPG download slowdown. I knew about that from you before. However, my point is that something has recently got much worse just within the last few days. This isn't just the usual EPG response slowdown we all knew about, but it completely crashes the box requiring a full power off reboot to get out of the EPG!

It seems to mainly happen if entering and using the EPG whilst on BBC1 HD. It may happen whilst tuned to other channels, maybe any HD one, I'm not sure. It certainly isn't a problem if entering the EPG whilst on BBC2 or C5 anyway.

If going into the EPG via schedule/red button really fixes this, and the slowdown, then why don't they do a FW upgrade that achieves the same thing via the Guide Button? In other words, why does it force the 'downloading channels data' thing, almost every time you enter the guide? I notice that occasionally, it does not refresh the EPG anyway. Surely it could just do this quietly in the background, whilst the EPG is not actually being viewed?

I wish they would get their fingers out and resolve this and the other niggling faults on these boxes now.

Regards

Peter.
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,070
    To resolve the sticking Downloading Data message do a Freesat tune and don't save the results. The epg is constantly updated as you watch the a channel with data transmitted along with the video. Pressing guide deletes the cached epg and downloads a complete new one from the Freesat home transponder, schedule/red loads the existing cached epg. Unless you are starting with a blank guide after a reset you don't need to use the guide button.