Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Humax FOXSAT HDR Copying to USB

Discussion in 'Freesat Forum' started by jlearmonth, Dec 24, 2008.

1. debitcardmayhem

debitcardmayhem Member

Ratings:
    +23
  2. raydawson

raydawson Member

Ratings:
    +27
    I have managed to copy Freesat HD files to an attached USB Ext3 hard drive. I didn't need to go through the non-Freesat route - I just copied them from Freesat. I can play the file on my Windows 7 PC using Windows Media Player, but although I can see the video, I can't hear the sound.

MediaInfo gives the following information:
    ------------------------------------
    General
    ID : 2050 (0x802)
    Complete name : K:\Heir Hunters_20110309_0954.ts
    Format : BDAV
    Format/Info : Blu-ray Video
    File size : 148 MiB
    Duration : 2mn 22s
    Overall bit rate : 8 701 Kbps

Video
    ID : 5400 (0x1518)
    Menu ID : 6941 (0x1B1D)
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4.0
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
    Codec ID : 27
    Bit rate : 7 896 Kbps
    Width : 1 440 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 25.000 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : MBAFF
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.203
    Stream size : 134 MiB (91%)
    Color primaries : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4, SMPTE RP177
    Transfer characteristics : BT.709-5, BT.1361
    Matrix coefficients : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4 709, SMPTE RP177

Audio #1
    ID : 5401 (0x1519)
    Menu ID : 6941 (0x1B1D)
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Mode extension : CM (complete main)
    Codec ID : 6
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 192 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Delay relative to video : -1s 27ms
    Stream size : 3.26 MiB (2%)
    Language : English
    ------------------------------

Any ideas on how to get the sound working on the PC? I notice it is AC-3 rather than the MPEG Audio of the SD files - which do play properly on the PC.

I dropped the HD file into Corel VideoStudio and saved it out as an AVC HD file and that does play the sound as well as the video. The converted file is also AC-3 - so why won't the origonal sound play?

My experiments were done with small recorded files, which were easy to transfer. I did try transfering an episode of Eastenders in HD and, although it did copy, the Faxsat crashed and rebooted after about 26 mins were copied - 1.54GB. The incomplete HD file does play, but no sound again, as before.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Ray D
  3. savvy249

savvy249 Member

Ratings:
    +50
    The HDR doesn't write headers properly in its .ts files (or something like that), which doesn't matter for playback on the HDR itself.

I sometimes get this lack of sound on playback in Win7, and the solution is to run the file thru tsMuxer, a small free utility - works for me.
  4. raydawson

raydawson Member

Ratings:
    +27
    What settings do you use in TsMuxer? I tried it with the default settings and it produces a video file which isn't recognised by either WMP or MediaInfo.

Cheers,

Ray D
  5. savvy249

savvy249 Member

Ratings:
    +50
    I just use the defaults, it tells me the file doesn't have any frame rate set (I presume this is one of the "missing" bits not written by the HDR), inserts 25fps, and very quickly muxes it, and is then playable in WMP, and VLC.

I'm not at home, so I can't tell you the exact settings, but as I said, I didn't change any.
  6. raydawson

raydawson Member

Ratings:
    +27
    I've just tried passing the HD files through VideoReDo version 4 and remuxxing. Works a treat and they can be edited at the same time :)

Cheers,

Ray D
  7. Ysgubormadoc

Ysgubormadoc Member

Ratings:
    +0
    As a novice Forum User, I think I should probably start a new thread. BUT I don't know how to do that, and some of the posts on this thread seem relevant.

I have had the Foxsat HDR since they were first available, our area having been an early switch over to digital, and am very happy with it.

Except, I keep stuff a while and generally run with the drive 90% full, which occasionally means that I lose a recording (cos it has got to 100% full) and cannot keep stuff long term as I would like to.

Reading posts on this thread, it looks as though I might be able to connect a USB Hard Drive - I have just looked and there is 1 USB socket at the back of the box.

Can I connect a hard drive this way, and record to it and play from it?

If not, someone refers to copying to USB storage. Could I copy to an external HDD and then copy back to play?

And does this work from standard Foxsat features, or do you have to use software add ons? If the latter, that would likely be beyond me, so is there any other solution for overcoming my shortage of long term storage space?

THanks for any help.
  8. REPASSAC

REPASSAC Active Member

Ratings:
    +398
    You can connect a USB device which can be a hard disk in a USB caddy - this is a standard feature. This also allows you to copy files from the HDR to the caddy but not to record directly to it - at the end of the copy process (not quick) you will be asked if you want to delete the original. You can play files that are on a USB device - you do not have to copy them back to the internal HDR drive.
    If you have a esata connection on you PC finding a caddy with one also will also allow viewing from your PC.
    There is also a setup option to delete files automatically when the hard disk is full.
    If the filesystem on the CADDY disk is FAT32 (Normal) then there is a 4GB limit that the filing system will not let you exceed (Some HD recordings may exceed this).
  9. lebesset

lebesset Member

Ratings:
    +0
    having gratefully read this thread I have made some progress....if I put in a usb stick the green button is not greyed out , so I presume I can record ok [ the only usb stick I have is too small ]

but what I want to use is a small HDD ; I have formatted it and turned it into FAT 32 , set all to 0's , no partitions , plugged in , recognised

no green button like with usb stick , can't download

what have I done wrong
  10. REPASSAC

REPASSAC Active Member

Ratings:
    +398
    You have to have one device selected in both panes e.g. hard disk on left, USB on right.
  11. lebesset

lebesset Member

Ratings:
    +0
    that's what I had been doing ..hence the green button for the usb stick !!

however , in desperation , although the HDD was freshly formatted in FAT 32 , I did it again ...and the green button appeared and I could download !!!

so problem over???

not that easy , tried to play back on my vista and XP computers , wouldn't play !!!
    tried installing a couple of players that are supposed to play these files ts/nts files eg media player classic , but still no luck ...however , in the process seem to have converted one of them to mpeg !!!

still scratching head therefore
  12. debitcardmayhem

debitcardmayhem Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Try vlc from videolan.org it's free and it works for me.
  13. lebesset

lebesset Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that , on that basis re-formatted the usb HDD , re-downloaded , et voila , played just fine on both

media player classic
    total video player

HOWEVER , on the usb disk are 3 files

2.33Gb .ts which is the video

3.47Gb NTS

5.06KB HMT

which means nearly 6Gb to get a 2.33 Gb video ....is there any way around this , disk would soon be full at that rate !!!
  14. savvy249

savvy249 Member

Ratings:
    +50
    The .nts file should only be 3.47 meg not gig.
  15. lebesset

lebesset Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks , looked again , you are correct

doh ! getting punchdrunk with all this
  16. wheeles

wheeles Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have an OCZ Rally2 16GB USB stick which I use to move programmes from my Humax Foxsat HDR to my Mac. As I use the stick for other purposes as well, I sometimes end up having to reformat it as a different file system.

A few days ago my Humax stopped recognising the USB stick, so I reformatted it as FAT 32 using the Mac Disk Utility. This was not recognised either. So, I tried using GParted on a linux boot CD to format it to ext3. This also was not recognised by the Humax.

After much head scratching, I tried the following on my Mac, and this resulted in a USB Stick that was recognised as FAT 32 by my Humax. This is for use on a Mac, not Windows.

Please Note: Using fdisk can completely screw your system if you input the wrong disk number. It will not warn you if you are about to do something stupid! I take no responsibility if you inadvertently wipe your computer.

1. Open Disk Utility. Find the disk in the list that you want to format, control-click and select "Information". You're looking for the "Disk Identifier," which should be something like disk1, disk2, disk3 etc. You can also use the following command in the Terminal: diskutil list to get this information.

2. Create the DOS partition table. Open Terminal and type fdisk -e /dev/rdisk#, where # is the disk number you got from step one. Now type auto dos to create one big FAT32 partition. Finally, type write and then quit to save the new partition table.

3. Format the FAT32 partition. Type newfs_msdos -F 32 -v "MyVolumeName" /dev/rdisk#s1, where # is the disk number you got in step one. This will format the drive as FAT32.

4. Check if the volume is mounted. If it isn't, close and reopen Disk Utility, select "MyVolumeName" and choose File -> Mount."
    Here's a transcript (line breaks added for narrower display) to show the commands. In my case the disk number was 4.

[~] % fdisk -e /dev/rdisk4
    fdisk: could not open MBR file /usr/standalone/i386/boot0:
    No such file or directory
    Enter 'help' for information
    fdisk: 1> auto dos
    fdisk:*1> write
    Writing MBR at offset 0.
    fdisk: 1> quit
    [~] % newfs_msdos -F 32 -v "STICK" /dev/rdisk4s1

I am not entirely sure why the Humax didn't like the USB stick. I notice elsewhere that others have had similar issues with people speculating it might be something to do with the chipset in the USB stick. However, I am inclined to think it is related to the Master Boot Record, which people often recreate, especially if they have formatted the stick with a different partition table. Quite why Disk Utility does not have the same effect as the steps above, or why GParted didn't work properly either, I do not know. It may have something to do with the MBR offset, or a creation date, but that's speculation.

There might be a similar process using fdisk on Windows, but as I haven't used that in anger in quite some time (yes, Windows has that effect on me), I am unable to say what that might be.
  17. MalcolmXPHummy

MalcolmXPHummy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi from a new member, now on his third Humax (9200T, 9300T and now Foxsat HDR). Obviously I have a number of questions...

1) I formatted a USB 1TB drive to ext3 using Easeus Partition Master on XP (so I wouldn't be limited to 4GB files), and upon finishing it proclaimed it was half full already. Changing the cluster size to 2Kb and reformatting gave me almost an empty drive, which is what I want. Will this cause any problems apart from a tiny bit of unused cluster padding at the end of each file, or will I still end up with just 500GB usability on the disk?

2) Is there anywhere which details the logos used in the Humax file manager? There's nothing about Ox and ENC in the manual and it's all so different from their PVRs!

3) HD recordings don't want to copy over to the external drive (something to do with the above logos I think?). Does this mean that all HD recordings have to stay on the internal drive after all, and only SD can be transferred to the big external archive drive? (apart from hopping in and out of Freesat mode, which I don't understand yet).:confused:
  18. brenjames

brenjames Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm having no problems copying onto USB. However I can't play the copied files on either my laptop or PS3. Admittedly I have only copied HD recordings so far (I record everything I can in HD - that's the point of having the machine) - from what I'm reading here - it seems that HD copies can't be played at all? Is that actually the case and there is no way round it?

That seems bizarre - why is it ok with SD, but not HD? When are manufacturers and broadcasters going to give us the right and ability to watch things that we have legally recorded on other devices?! Utterly bizarre and annoying!

All of a sudden I find myself hankering for the days of VHS cassettes!!!

Is there any way around this? I'm off to try copying and playing an SD recording now. Back later.
  19. REPASSAC

REPASSAC Active Member

Ratings:
    +398
    HD files are usually encrypred (Look for "Enc" in the Media listing). They will only play on the origional HDR.
  20. kevkbuk

kevkbuk Active Member

Ratings:
    +560
    Some channels 'encrypt' their HD broadcasts so they can only be played back on the device that recorded them. The only way around this is to record in non Freesat mode. VLC plays SD and unencrypted HD recordings just fine.
  21. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,098
    ENC means encrypted, currently all HD channels invoke encryption, the other one means that the file has a copy restriction. Usually copy once. Once copied to usb you can't copy it again, but you can replay from usb on the hdr that recorded it. It's possible to reset the copy flags using Raydon's AV2HDR. If you start to copy a HD file and abort the copy you still invoke the copy once protection.
  22. deezel

deezel Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for this thread.

I had trouble trying to format a 16gb cruzer usb stick to ext3 using slax and the instructions linked in earlier posts but have managed to format a samsung story station 2tb today using the pmagic software.

Have copied all hd channels ( bbc1 hd, bbc hd, itv hd, and channel 4 hd) freesat encrypted files successfully to the samsung and am able to play them back fine.

No need now to delete stuff anymore which I never got a chance to see but wanted to keep, so well pleased with this thread

Many thanks again especially to graham :smashin:

Incidently, on itv hd recordings on the foxsat's media gui what does the 'G' denote in Enc.G.HD ?
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  23. GaseousClay

GaseousClay Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,176
    G stands for guidance, if you press the info button it should display the programme info with the reason for guidance in red text.
  24. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,098
    G stands for recordings your teenage kids would rather watch while mum, dad, grandad and grandmother aren't around :D

Sometimes the most inoccous content is flagged G (may be in error :D)
  25. deezel

deezel Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for those replies.

I've made and named a new folder in the usb hard drive.

How do I move an existing file on the same usb hard drive into that new folder?
  26. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,098
    You can't directly unless you do it on a PC, you will have to copy it back to the internal hdd. Then open the folder and copy it back again. For future reference create the folder first, open and copy in the content afterwards.

The File manager won't let you open two panes on the same drive apart from the internal drive.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  27. REPASSAC

REPASSAC Active Member

Ratings:
    +398
    deezel - Don't copy it on a PC because it will not play on the Humax as the path in the HMT file will no longer be correct.
    Copied on the HDR to and then from the hard drive will update the path.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  28. lebesset

lebesset Member

Ratings:
    +0
  29. kevkbuk

kevkbuk Active Member

Ratings:
    +560
    FAT32 only supports upto 4GB files. The HDR only supports FAT32 or Ext2/3. Ext2/3 are native to Linux but you can get software for Windows to format and read it.
  30. lebesset

lebesset Member

Ratings:
    +0
    not so ...FAT32 supports any size partition you like

the limit is put in by microsoft to try to force you on to NTFS , their proprietary system

all my sticks / usb HDD's are formatted as single partition FAT32 using the HP software