Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Humax 9200T ~ What file type does it record in?

Discussion in 'PVRs' started by Goldfiinger, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Goldfiinger

Goldfiinger Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi first post, :thumbsup:

Been thinking about upgrading my Freeview box to a Freeview PVR, and came across the 9200T which seems to be the best on the block at the moment. Was reading through its features and it talks about having a USB slot for PC connectivity. So you can transfer files to and from your PC for storage. Now my question is what file types are the programs/movies recorded in by the humax and in theory could any file of this type be uploaded to the 9200T even if you didn't record it?

See where I'm going :)

Download the latest series of 24, USB it over to the humax and play it back in all its glory just as if you had recorded it the night before on Sky+ :)
  2. cabstar

cabstar Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Hi

USB transfer of proggies is strictly one way only from the hummy out--->>

Files are stored in .TS or streamed mpeg format, these can be converted to DVD using some free programmes, you can also just change the >TS extension for an MPEG extension.

Easiest way to stream files from your pc to tv is with a soft modded xbox with XBMC, have a look in the XBOX forums here

Gary
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Goldfiinger

Goldfiinger Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I thought it was so you could store the programs and watch them later, once you've transfered them to your PC you can't get them back ?

Seems daft, unless you were going to burn them to DVDs how would you watch them again on the TV ?
  4. LV426

LV426 Administrator

Ratings:
    +3,227
    Well yes, put them on a DVD. These boxes are not intended as "media servers" - just as Freeview recorders.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. nwhitfield

nwhitfield Active Member

Ratings:
    +261
    You can transfer in both directions with the Topfield, and it has a rather more reliable transfer, by many accounts, than the Humax.

It needs files to be in .rec format, which is a transport stream with a Topfield header, which includes things like the synopsis from the EPG. There are free tools to convert to and from.

What you can't do with these boxes is play things like DivX, so using them to watch downloads from the net isn't on, and the USB speed isn't that great anyway - you're looking at around a fifth of running time for a transfer from the PVR to the PC.

Nigel.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Goldfiinger

Goldfiinger Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Yeah i totally get ya its not intended as a media server which is why i was first surprised to see it having a USB connection. But surely if you can send something one way it must be extremely straight forward for them to have let you send it the other way? Any possible way to back engineer it? :eek:

Thanks thats cleared that up. Thats that plan out the window :(
  7. Bearded_Malc

Bearded_Malc Member

Ratings:
    +24
    You can watch downloads from the net on the toppy, the catch is you have to convert to mpeg2 which takes usually as long as watching the program. Plus uploads to the toppy are not as fast as downloads, for me anyway, I get about 1/2 the speed up as down.

By far the quickest option is to get a DVD player than understands Divx then burn to DVD at x4 or x8. Or upload overnight when speed is not an issue.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Goldfiinger

Goldfiinger Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks, whats the quality like once you have uploaded?
  9. cabstar

cabstar Member

Ratings:
    +12
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Bearded_Malc

Bearded_Malc Member

Ratings:
    +24
    As good as the converted mpeg2 file. The transfer is digital. I've only done this once with a episode of lost where the start had been delayed and I'd not got the end :mad: . I was quite surprised at how good the quality was (and this on a 42in plasma).
  11. nwhitfield

nwhitfield Active Member

Ratings:
    +261
    Yep; I did it once with a DVD, and the quality was excellent - just like the DVD player. When you convert from something that's already in MPEG2, essentially all that happens is a slight re-arrangement of the order of the packets; the picture quality isn't altered.

On the Xbox media centre front, one of the guys on the Toppy site has a custom disc that the Xbox can boot from, which turns it into a network gateway for the Toppy, so when he wants to up or download files, he boots that and can then ftp to the Toppy from elsewhere on this network, via the Xbox.

Nigel.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. steviemcculloug

steviemcculloug Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    you can upload to the humax, mp3's and jpg's, not sure about video though
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley Member

Ratings:
    +185
    The 9200 was originally announced with a removable hard drive, a plan dropped late in development. The USB support appears to have been bolted on in a hurry to replace it, by engineers who didn't know what they were doing or how to program for PC's. Its a miracle it works at all (and it doesn't work for some people).

I have a little more sympathy over uploading video, it needs to be in a fairly strict format to play without adding large amounts of extra code. Their help lines would inevitably be drowned by calls from people loading incompatible files onto it. Better to not allow it... except the idiots did allow uploading but it doesn't actually work and corrupts the hard drive along the way! Remember these are the guys that can't make MP3 playback work properly and the pathetic photo support is best ignored. Playing uploaded video seems well beyond their skillset.

Hacking is not a possibility, Humax encrypted updates to prevent it. Reverse engineer as much as you like, you can't load arbitrary new firmware.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. marcdavis

marcdavis Member

Ratings:
    +103
    Hacking; I think its getting there. I think its a possibility now. I saw a screen shot from a forumer who has been working on it with a firmware mod in September that changes the brackgrounds for example. With regards to uploading video to the machine he thinks it could be do-able but it would require a lot of his time. I dont believe he has seen a lot of interest in it, apart from its obvious this guy likes a challenge.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Bearded_Malc

Bearded_Malc Member

Ratings:
    +24
    FYI there is a user mod'ed firmware versions for the toppy (which of course already has TAPs). The mod corrects a system problem on the topfield where if mains is lost so is the time and with no time it doesn't start recordings even if the mains comes back. With the mod'ed firmware when the mains comes back the unit starts up to get the correct time.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Goldfiinger

Goldfiinger Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the replys everyone; gonna look at the toppy now as it might be more what im after. Thanks for the info!

Just to clarify its the Topfield TF5800 everyone is talking about ?

Is that the latest model and am i right in thinking there's different models out for different countrys ?
  17. nwhitfield

nwhitfield Active Member

Ratings:
    +261
    Yep; the TF5800 is the model you want for the UK; the TF5000 is the European model, available in both Satellite and Terrestrial versions, and doesn't have MHEG for stuff like BBCi.

The TF5800, incidentally, is one of the few cases I know where the UK specific model is actually cheaper than the standard European one!

Nigel.
  18. Goldfiinger

Goldfiinger Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Just out of interest whats the "Topfield PVR5010 Masterpiece" listed on ebay, any idea ?
  19. nwhitfield

nwhitfield Active Member

Ratings:
    +261
    Off the top of my head, I can't recall, but the Masterpiece models are a wider unit, with a built in real time clock, and a fancier display on the front panel, plus a different remote. The firmware is substantially the same as for corresponding non-Masterpiece models.

The 5010 is either a satellite or a cable model as far as I recall; it may have embedded card reader too. You'll find all the different variants at www.topfield.co.kr

Nigel.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1