Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Humax 9200T USB file transfer?

Discussion in 'PVRs' started by Lunar Humps, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Lunar Humps

Lunar Humps Member

Ratings:
    +11
    I've been a satisfied 9200T owner for a while now, and never had a need for the USB connection, as I was led to believe it just offered MP3 playback and photo viewing, for which i have no requirement.

However, just been looking on the Humax site and notice that the USB 2.0 offers "MPEG A/V file transfer between Duovisio and PC".

Does this mean I can pull recorded programs off the Humax onto PC as mpeg files? Would be damn handy if it does!

See for yourself http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/pdf/PVR-9200T_L.pdf

Apologies if this topic has been discussed before elsewher. I searched using 'Humax USB' with no related threads appearing...
  2. bazxuk

bazxuk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes you can download files from humax you have to use there
    Media eLinker from humax site but transfer is sssssssssoooooooo SSLLOOOWW :boring: can take about an hour to download 2mg file (unless theres a problem with mine)

it downloads as a ts file you have to convert to mpg avi etc

hope that helps
  3. bainsyboy

bainsyboy Member

Ratings:
    +17
    You can play the ts files using vlc media player, if you also search the hummy site you should find alternative software to download from the machine to your computer
  4. bazxuk

bazxuk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    do you mean alternative software to E-Linker if so does it speed
    up transfers and could you point us in right direction:lease: have just had a look on humax site can still only find E-Linker

thanks
  5. Obgeektor

Obgeektor Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, you mean 2 GB (Gigabytes), not 2MB! That would be so bad I'd be off to the Humax offices with a shotgun!

The Transport Stream is mpeg audio/video (AFAIK) so conversion to DVD is likely to be efficient. DivX not so bad if your PC is fast...

I tried this method, took hours to troubleshoot it (I'm an IT technician, the chipset/implementation inside the Humax is CRAP). The driver/software is one of the worst I've ever seen from a company with any reputation. I'm using the BEST USB 2.0 Hi-Speed certified cable I've ever used in all my experience. It was still awful.
    Apart from anything, it's a terrible waste of electricity to leave a powerful device such as a PC on for as long (hours) as it takes to transfer such a large amount of data so slowly when spending £5 per unit more (or maybe even less) would solve the issue.
    If Sony Ericsson (also awful software in the intial release, incidentally) can get a 10cm x 4cm phone to contain fast enough an interface to transfer much faster than these Humax, then Humax are really letting their customers down here.
    If everyone rang their head office every day, emailed them every day, and actually performed a campaign against them, they'd be forced to listen.
    In other forum posts, people seemed to be happy to get "12Mbps Full-Speed USB 2.0" (This is actually USB 1.1's top speed). Awful to settle for this.
    I'm an IT technician, I know USB pretty well, and it's the device/driver, not the ports or cable as far as I've tested.
    I wouldn't buy a Humax based on that example of manufacturer ignorance alone. :thumbsdow

Hi BTW! :hiya:
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,096
    There's a command line alternative Humax Media Controller which supports error checking and data resend. For faster transfers put the Hummy in games mode first. To edit out ads and make DVD's look at VideoRedo TV Suite. To just edit out ads (assuming you have alternative DVD Authoring software), VideoRedo Plus.
  7. Obgeektor

Obgeektor Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So, if someone UNPAID can do it for FREE, why on earth doesn't Humax do it with our hard-earned cash? It has to be asked, when the original support/function is so poor... If you have to put it into games mode first then is this mentioned in the manual (if so, then I would have done it)?

Womble software is good for mpeg2 editing without the need to re-encode.
  8. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,096
    You don't have to put it in games mode, if you do the cpu is not servicing the tuners resulting in around a 20% increase in speed for USB. Removing the aerial works even better but is inconvenient. It's not in the manual because it was only found out by experimentation.
  9. Obgeektor

Obgeektor Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I'm just lamenting the lack of effort at the design stage vs. that required at the testing/experimentation stage, as it would have been less!
  10. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,096
    I entirely agree the usb implementation on 9200 is pretty dire, but it can be made to work. Mine worked fine before V21 firmware and then I had to resort to Media Controller to get reliable transfers. The Toppy 5800 works every time with usb so I use that to record anything I want to keep. (The games menu dodge works with this as well)
  11. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley Member

Ratings:
    +185
    ...but be aware that using game mode on a 9200 using Freeview+ will prevent recording. Leaving transfers running overnight is a common approach that gets hit hard by this problem. To be fair the box will usually crash completely if you try transfers during recording so you can't really win!

The core problem is a combination of inefficient firmware making the 9200 struggle to keep up with even 12mbit USB and criminally inept error handling soaking up CPU time. Each handled error can cause new errors and soon spirals out of control till the 9200 locks up. The Topfield has near identical hardware but working USB - it really is just bad Humax programmers at fault. The 9200 end also has a serious bug causing data to be lost which Humax have declined to fix.

Using USB is a real PIA, doing the cable mod and directly reading the drive is much faster, more reliable and less frustrating.
  12. Obgeektor

Obgeektor Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If it's a bug, then that's "not of merchantable quality", hehehe and "not fit for purpose", the logic here being that I bought it because of the external interface to PC so I could avoid the dead-end that is my previous Panasonic (better picture quality, incidentally) PVR. So many programmes are only broadcast on T.V. and never otherwise released, and deserve to be archived.