Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Humax 9200t Transfer Of Files Problems

Discussion in 'PVRs' started by psafloyd, Dec 8, 2007.

1. psafloyd

psafloyd Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Dear all,

I have had my 9200T for about three years (since they launched whenever that was) and I had abandoned transfers via USB as they were so slow and the eLinker software didn't seem to work.

I have subsequently run off lots of things to a DVD recorder, but this takes time and I have a few things I want to transfer.

I have read a number of links on digitalspy, but I just don't understand the whole process - I am not a techie and find PCs rather than Macs quite unintuitive.

I have tried ELinker 2.5 but it could not initialise the PVR. So I ditched that and got Humax Controller which managed to transfer a couple of files. However, although I supposedly converted one with HD2TV, this did not work and I am sure that I did not do it right.

Does anyone know where I can find the whole process written out in jargon free lingo so that I may readily transfer files from the PVR's HD to my PC, covert them correctly so that I may burn them to disc?

If you do or can briefly explain the process and why certain things must be done in a certain order (and with which software) I would be eternally grateful.

Many thanks,

psafloyd:lease:
  2. nvingo

nvingo Active Member

Ratings:
    +340
    Hi psafloyd.

The Humax records by copying the broadcast data directly to the internal harddisk.
    Depending on which channel and the picture quality, recordings consume space at typically 1.5Gb per hour.
    Linking the Humax and a PC together, allows Media eLinker or Media Contoller (or Media Controller GUI, which looks like MeL but has MCs reliability) to transfer the programme audio/video data from the Humax HDD and store it in a file on the PC HDD.
    These files have the extension .ts for Transport Stream.
    This "contains" MPEG video, but coded in a way sympathetic to broadcasting.
    The first step is to copy that to another file, correcting anything not compliant with MPEG for DVD.
    For this step I use VideoRedo, which allows frame-accurate cuts (many editors only cut at the nearest MPEG key frame) and joining of scenes in several source files into one output file (ie. if a film is broadcast either side of a news bulletin and is recorded into two .ts files, the output can still be a single .mpg).
    There is a version of VideoRedo (VideoRedo TVStudio) which is in late pre-release beta, which will "do" the whole thing, creating an edited video DVD apparently directly from the source .ts files. I'm currently evaluating the 30day trial version.
    Without that though, the next stage is to close the converter program, and open the video authoring program. Here I use NeroVision as supplied part of Nero 7 Ultimate. This is supposed to handle the remainder of the process but I have two issues with it. I've always received an error from it during a disc burn, and have taken to letting it create either a DVD file structure (the files that would be seen when the finished DVD is explored in a PC), or create a .nrg (NeRo imaGe file), which is similar to a .iso, a package file containing the data as it will be written to disc.

If the encoding is going to fit the video to a standard 2hr (4.7Gb) DVD, then a .nrg file is fine - it can then be written to DVD with Nero Express.
    If it won't fit (and that is my other issue with NeroVision - it's compression is less capable than DVD Shrink) then it has to be stored in filesystem format, then DVD Shrink is used to create a <4.7Gb .iso from that, again to be written by Nero Express.

Whichever DVD authoring programme is used, it will have settings to create a DVD menu of varying complexities (Nero Vision will do Video backgrounds and buttons, music), Chapter marks (user defined, regular intervals or software analysed), and end-of-video action (play next or go to Menu).

Other users on here have their favourite programs from all-freeware to expensive studio, but whichever remember that the whole process is likely to hog a moderately powerful PC for longer than the DVD running time.
    It IS worth it for the flexibility and polish that the finished DVD exhibits, particularly the rock-steady video image which would have been lost in analogue transfer from PVR.
  3. psafloyd

psafloyd Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that info.

I am not looking to run off things at the highest quality, but often to just pass things On to people who cannot see certain programmes. I therefore do not need to edit the programmes (taking ads out of programmes is easy enough on the PVR, anyway) and I don't need them at high quality levels.

Can I therefore transfer files over and compress them to get more on a DVD than the standard running time would allow?

Also, is there anywhere that outlines the full process of transfer, as from what I have read, I need to transfer both video and audio files and splice them together. Is that correct?

THanks again.
  4. nvingo

nvingo Active Member

Ratings:
    +340
    The editing of the Humax is quite rough and it's better to leave ads etc in at least until transfered to PC.

You can still change the "running time" of the DVD to one of the standard options of 1hr, 2hrs, 4hrs, 6hrs, and even 3 or 8 hrs, by selecting one of the lower qualities/reduced resolutions. (Nero has most of these).
    Or if the recipients have Divx/Xvid players or view on a PC you can go even further but it will take processing time to do that.

That's no longer the case. Many standalone format converter programs did work by splitting the audio and video, but VideoRedo is one that doesn't need to.
    Can I leave it to other members to post links to their recommended methods..?
  5. psafloyd

psafloyd Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again, that's a great help. :thumbsup: