Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC: ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO - HDMI Output control

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by divydovy, Nov 30, 2009.

1. divydovy

divydovy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Not sure if this is the right forum for this issue, but here goes.

I have an HTPC with this mobo: ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO. It's got onboard VGA, DVI and HDMI.

I have two video output usage profiles:

1. DVI output to normal monitor for general computer usage - works fine
    2. HDMI output to the big TV next door - this I have problems with, as detailed below.

When I plug the HDMI cable into the HDMI port, the video output is cut from DVI and goes through HDMI to the TV. This is good, I can watch films from my HTPC on the TV. However, some of the behaviour is strange:

a. I can't find any way to turn the HDMI output, port or device ON/OFF. The only way I can make the video output revert to the DVI port is to unplug the cable. Is there a better way to do this? I don't want to have to plug/unplug a cable every time I wanna watch a film!

b. (all these I'm guessing are related) I can't change the settings for the monitor (TV) in the displays part of the control panel. Even when the video output is via HDMI to the TV, it still lists the monitor on the DVI port as the active monitor, so the resolution can't be altered to fit the TV (unless it's doing it automatically and just not telling me anywhere).

It's like the HDMI port is not really integrated into the software (either Win7 OS or the manufacturer's latest driver/software - ATI HD4200) so it's outside of what can be controlled through computer settings.

If you can shed some light, I'd be most appreciative of a quick reply. May well be I'm just being dense... ;)

Cheers,

Dave
  2. patadata

patadata Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!

Did you ever get any answer to your problem? I have the exact same problem :(
  3. divydovy

divydovy Member

Ratings:
    +0
  4. mrda1000

mrda1000 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I just got this board and am running HDMI to my TV and all display settings can be changed fine for me (im only running one display) so i am asuming that part of the problem is def something to do with the dual display setup, there should be however a way to pick which monitor your using as default, cant test this at the mo as not near my HTPC but when im home later ill see if i can have a go and hook up a 2nd monitor :)
  5. trekkiedj

trekkiedj Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I think if you check the specs on the asus website, it will tell you that the only configurations possible are VGA+HDMI or DVI+VGA.... HDMI+DVI is not possible with this board. I have the same board and i havent tried this, but i remember reading it in the manual or on the website. The only option i see you have is to get a VGA to DVI adaptor (not to be confused with a DVI to VGA adaptor):
    Belkin Components VGA adapter 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15) - male - 29 pin combined DVI - female - PC
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. mrda1000

mrda1000 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Ah n1 didnt have time to try this yesterday and you just saved me hunting around in my loft for the old monitor :D

It does indeed say in section 1-22 of the manual that supported dual displays are DVI + D-Sub (VGA) and HDMI + D-Sub, not supported formats are DVI + HDMI, nice find trekkiedj saved me some effort :smashin:
  7. Keiron

Keiron Member

Ratings:
    +85
    Wonder if someone can help me as I have just got the same board.

I have my monitor (Hanns-G HW191D) connected by VGA. I also want to connect to my plasma via HDMI.

According to the manual, I will have to change the VGA to a D-Sub if I want to run HDMI at the same time. Can someone confirm this is correct? There seems to be conflicting views on the internet.

I also cannot find a seller of such cables - Microdirect down the road from me appears not to have themand on ebay they cost an arm and a leg. Is it a D-Sub to D-Sub I need, or D-Sub to VGA?

Another problem is that even with the monitor disconected from VGA on my PC and just the HDMI connected to my Panasonic plasma TV, I get no image. Is there a setting somewhere that I need to change? Thanks.
  8. flashp

flashp Member

Ratings:
    +12
    You could disable the HDMI driver in device manager maybe?
  9. Keiron

Keiron Member

Ratings:
    +85
    Sorry I've not been clear. I want to ENABLE the HDMI output.
  10. Keiron

Keiron Member

Ratings:
    +85
    A bit of progess - another reboot of the computer and I am now working off my Panasonic plasma (albeit with a curious black border around it). My monitor is now showing the desktop background iage. Very odd.

So am I too assume if I replaced the VGA cable on the mobo to monitor with a D-Sub, then I could get the image on both, simultaneously?
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  11. divydovy

divydovy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That's how I'd describe the implementation of HDMI on the onboard 4200. In the end, I just got an HD5450 instead: supports triple output (2 digital and 1 analogue). Works great with DVI on my computer screen and HDMI (including audio) on my TV in the other room. If it helps anyone, it outputs enough digi-juice to run over a cheap 20m HDMI cable with no problem.