HTC One X

I've not said a great deal about it to be honest, but I'll gladly give you my thoughts :)

IMO, it's the best Android device around. But it's not the best by the sort of margins it should be. There are some subjective things that are personal opinion, such as the design and screen size. For me, it's as big as I'd want, things like the Note are too big for an every-day device, but for others that's not the case. Same with the design, I think it looks very classy, it's not cheap or tacky looking but it's not dull and predictable like previous HTC efforts have been. All personal opinion :)

The reason I say it's not the best by the margins it should be, is it has the ingredients to be truly superb. The hardware is amazing (not a word I use often in this perspective), the screen is just brilliant, Android ICS is very good indeed, HTC Sense has been scaled back and is a good addition (not strictly necessary and I've not been a big fan of Sense historically, but this version works well). But all of these ingredients don't add up to the sum of their parts. It's like having the absolute perfect ingredients for the best cake ever, but not quite baking it well enough.

For instance, navigating home screens lags too much, noticeable especially straight after unlocking. Scrolling is jerky at times and some animations aren't as smooth as they should be, considering the power on-tap. It seems to have all the processing power a mobile could ever need, but takes a split second to realise what you've asked it to do.

Some of this is down to Android itself. Scrolling, especially, has long been a weak point. The processing power flattens this out to minimise the impact on the experience, but it's there.

That's about all I can criticise it for though :) HTC will no doubt make further firmware improvements to remedy some of this (the firmware update that landed yesterday rectified some widget, Sense and scrolling problems, plus problems with Beats audio) and when you think about it, it's really nice to know you have a superb device that will get better as time goes on.

Battery life, for me, has been fine. I took it off charge yesterday at 06:00, had a 2-hour train journey with signal dropping off all the time, which batters the battery, plus music playing all the way, background services running, I read some news, sent some messages... then it sat in my pocket all day, bar a few messages, before doing the same as above again on the way home. It died at 21:30. Today I've been in the office with good signal and with medium-low usage it has dropped just under 30% so far. It's not amazing, but it's fine :)

Reception (WiFi and mobile signal) is really very good and actually improved noticeable with yesterdays firmware update. It's reliable, it's well built, it's easy to use and live with and feels much more mature than any Android smartphone has ever done.

So really, my only complains are the fact that the sheer level of horsepower is wasted and not used. It's marketing oneupmanship driving the hardware, it's just not necessary as Android doesn't make best use of it. Having it smooths out some Android flaws and it will be put to better use in the future I'm sure but today, while it's ahead of the competition, it's only a couple of steps ahead. It should be on another planet.
Great review Rob,as I already own the phone I have to say you have hit the proverbial nail on the head and as you say it looks like a bright future for this phone if HTC's history is to repeat itself,yet again great job on the review.:clap:

jonneymendoza said:
im waiting for S-OFF before i root this bad boy

Me too :)

Ok this more a Sense question rather than a H1X questions. On many non sense roms I had different notifications for k9 mail, native mail app, and sms app. But Sense just uses the default notification for them all. Any way round this problem??

I don't think that's the case, it's not on mine as I've got a different notification for email to messages. If you open the Googlemail App you can change the notification there, same option exists if you open the Message app and change the notification there. If you go via the central Settings you only see one option, which becomes the 'default' notification unless you change it in each app.

RobM said:
I don't think that's the case, it's not on mine as I've got a different notification for email to messages. If you open the Googlemail App you can change the notification there, same option exists if you open the Message app and change the notification there. If you go via the central Settings you only see one option, which becomes the 'default' notification unless you change it in each app.

I agree. I believe you can only change the sound from within the individual app. If the app has no option within, I think you're stuffed.

Hi Just got this phone ,

how do you get the live weather to work ......
the demo works but on home screen nothing happens
when it updates thanks

RSRAVI said:
Hi Just got this phone ,

how do you get the live weather to work ......
the demo works but on home screen nothing happens
when it updates thanks

I assume you have weather synced in the settings?

Have any of you synced music and photo's to iTunes and iPhoto? If so, how easy was it?

Have any of you synced music and photo's to iTunes and iPhoto? If so, how easy was it?

Easy. Use DoubleTwist (with AirSync if you want WiFi sync) and it looks at your iTunes library directly.

For photos, I simply copy and paste onto the folder structure directly.

My HTC One X just died... I think.

When I plugin the mains there the light no longer comes on to show it has power, it won't turn on.

I was having problems with it overheating on games and causing the phone's failure to detect sim card.

Give it a few minutes to cool down then press down the power button for about 30 seconds. It's worked pretty much for every android phone I've owned (although the normal routine will be to remove the battery for a couple of minutes).

Rizza

well i kept playing and eventually it came back to life, cheers

1 question Is it better than the iPhone 4s?

Had a quick go on one of these in a shop today.

I want one :)

Only thing that is currently stopping me dropping nearly 500 notes on it is some of the reviews/comments i've been reading on Amamzon/xda developers about the screen flickering/jerking issues. The failure rate on this device "appears" to be unacceptably high for a top end premium device. Anyone here exeperienced these issues?

I have not had any of these issues. I came from an iphone4 and think this is better in so many ways. That's from an iPhone fan!!

No problems for me either and for me, yes it is better than the iPhone 4S that I had before it.

ichikiriyama said:
I agree. I believe you can only change the sound from within the individual app. If the app has no option within, I think you're stuffed.

Got it sorted. K9 for some reason wasn't keeping the setting. Now it does!

Drop Box is also very good for syncing photos.

Video with iPad and One X is impossible. For some reason the One X outputs full HD video at 1920 x 1088. The iPad only accepts resolutions upto 1920 x 1080. The one X is only device I have come accross that outputs full HD video at 1088!

Ready to buy this now but want to leave Vodaphone as I get signal issues , I see three have some good deals but seem to get poor reviews. just wondered what people on here think of them?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom