Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTC Desire Headphone Alternatives

Discussion in 'HTC Mobile Phones' started by step, Apr 5, 2010.

1. step

step Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know of any headphones that work with the Desire and also have a remote to control the music without the need to take the phone out of the pocket. The supplied headphones do not fit my ears so need some in ear ones similar to my old sony ericsson ones.
    Not sure if all headphones will pick up the FM Radio?

Have thought about the Sony Ericsson MW600 Play.com (UK) - Mobile - Free Delivery but not sure if the bluetooth will work with this phone.

As a cheaper alternative maybe Nokia WH_701 Play.com (UK) - Mobile - Free Delivery but don't know if the radio will work through these?
    Any help would be great.
  2. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,184
    Forget Bluetooth if you want FM Radio, as the radio requires the wired headphones to use as an aerial.
  3. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Active Member

Ratings:
    +230
    Those Sony Ericsson ones have an FM radio built into them
  4. step

step Member

Ratings:
    +0
    As chrism says those sony bluetooth headphones have fm radio built in but not sure how they work with the music player on the desire
  5. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,184
    I can only give you my personal experience and opinion... but the FM reception was poor when I had them for a day to test. Bluetooth playback and control was great, sound quality as expected given the cost, which was somewhat flat and lifeless with boomy bass. But about as good as you'll find in this pricerange, on-par with the Sony EX-71 IMO.
  6. step

step Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ive found that the reception with the built in radio on the desire to be pretty bad the times ive tried it thats why i was hoping maybe the sony's might be a good option or alternative headphones might give better reception.
  7. RedAl

RedAl Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,531
    What about these:-

Sennheiser CX300 In-Ear Headphones - Products

and this for allowing you to use the headphones as a mic too in order to answer calls:-

HTC: Accessory store: Pocket PC Headsets + Handsfree: HTC Desire Audio Adaptor for 3.5mm to 3.5mm HS U350 (with Stereo Headset + HTC Logo, Retail Pack): Description

Hope thats what you were looking for. if not forgive me :D

EDIT: fiddlesticks, just noticed you wanted something that remotely controlled the music. Looks like this suggestion is a steaming pile of do-do. Pleae ignore my ramblings
  8. crazy4ker

crazy4ker Member

Ratings:
    +2
  9. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Active Member

Ratings:
    +230
    I've just noticed that my Skullcandy iPhone earphones skip tracks on Spotify when I hit the call button.

Has anyone else got the MW600 bluetooth earphones yet would love to know how well they work.
  10. Oggie

Oggie Active Member

Ratings:
    +613
  11. Staberinde

Staberinde New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    So I just got one of these to use with my HTC Desire:

GriffinSmartTalk

* It has a TRRS 3.5 jack
    * This means one click plays/pauses tracks, a double click skips the track
    * A single click picks up an incoming call

The caveat is that the default HTC music player doesn't allow track skipping. I'm using Mort instead, and the adaptor works fine with it.

I have my Sennheiser Cx300s plugged into the adaptor and can receive FM radio perfectly.

Hope this helps!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Zsev

Zsev Member

Ratings:
    +1
  13. Ivor_Biggern

Ivor_Biggern Member

Ratings:
    +100
    I tested my Sennheiser PX100 headphones on my HTC Desire, when using the FM radio its very hit and miss. You get some stations crystal clear whilst others are distorted, thats obviously because of no antenna in the headphones.

For listening to music tracks they are superb, i would certainly be interested in a similar pair of Sennheiser headphones that had a built in antenna.
  14. phrozenpenguin

phrozenpenguin Member

Ratings:
    +1
    It does help but please can you confirm the single click will also end a call. I.e. you can use the headset to pickup and end calls, regardless of music status, without having to actually touch the handset?
  15. Staberinde

Staberinde New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    It does help but please can you confirm the single click will also end a call. I.e. you can use the headset to pickup and end calls, regardless of music status, without having to actually touch the handset?

Yes, I can confirm this is the case. While music is playing, one click picks up an incoming call and the next click ends the call.

And a double-click will start the music player from scratch too. Which means you can just plug in the jack, double-click and go - without going through the lockscreen to start your music app.

BTW, I'm now using bTunes. Better headset integration that Mort.
  16. Singh400

Singh400 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,411
    I have got the Sennheiser CX300 headphones. In fact we actually have around three pairs of the CX300's around the house. They are that good.
  17. phrozenpenguin

phrozenpenguin Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Staberinde - thanks for the update. I will get a cable.
  18. Scott9

Scott9 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've got CX550's for £40 and they're outstanding.
  19. portisgreg

portisgreg Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Step, I had the same problem, I bought some Griffen £19.99 Tune Buds because it said they are able to skip tracks etc but it doesnt work with the standard desire. It only has the single button to skip, pause, answer calls etc.

However I just downloaded "Music Player" from the app store for free and this uses the same single button control as the iPhone. The interface isn't as nice but there may be other alternatives out there if anyone can recommend any??

So now I'll buy some sennheiser/bose/klipsch single button control headphones.

Hope that helps.

Greg
    • Thanks Thanks x 1