1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTC Desire HD Contract Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'HTC Mobile Phones' started by DVD-Man, Sep 20, 2010.

1. DVD-Man

DVD-Man Active Member

Ratings:
    +690
    I'll get the ball rolling and look to update this thread on Wednesday when I am due for an upgrade on T-Mobile, got a Touch HD just now and can't wait to get my hands on the Desire HD.

Looking to get the handset free on a £30-£35 x 18mth contract.

Cheers

Liam
  2. Fazanders

Fazanders Member

Ratings:
    +3
    This is also on my shopping list :) Sadly no upgrade due for a year so will have to buy sim free which looks to be £469!! Ouch! But will sell my Desire with the desk stand, car mount, extra battery etc to at least help a bit with the funding!
  3. elgorm

elgorm Member

Ratings:
    +42
    I'm hoping to score a deal through retentions as my contract is up shortly and I'm currently eligible for an upgrade. Hoping for £25 a month for 18 month contract with ultd texts + web (1gb+) as this is what the other half got on a Desire 6 months back from Orange though I'm with Vodafone. I'm prepared to go to 30 as its still a whole load cheaper than an iphone which I like but think is over priced.

Heard of people taking there phones to the likes of car phone warehouse and getting their upgrades there which sounds appealing as I think there will be a wait for the networks to fill the phones full of junk, which I hear carphone warehouse do not do. Although I guess the upgrade deals are not as good as retentions?!??

I'm anxiously awaiting a release date at the moment, mobilephonesdirect is quoting 6/10 with play.com going with the 11th. After some bad experiences with mobilephonesdirect i refuse to beleive their date but live in hope.

Currently using a Hero which whilst I have enjoyed using I am now feeling envy from the wifes Desire and slight envy at iphone4. Desire is a great phone and if the HD was not on its way i'd definitely have considered taking one of these, possibly SIM free.
  4. Dirtschmooz

Dirtschmooz Active Member

Ratings:
    +341
    Just had a call from T mobile as I am close to renewal and I had previously expressed an interest in the iphone4. I said I was after the HTC Desire HD and he mentioned that they still need testing etc and that at the moment no tariffs have been announced.

Unlike the iphone4 (where the price/contracts are set in stone) he did state that they have more discretion for HTC devices, so will call me back once a release date has been confirmed.
  5. bigbaz

bigbaz Member

Ratings:
    +78
    Tariffs - HTC Desire HD - Mobile Phones Direct

The one that stands out here is T Mobile £30.00 18 months 600 mins, unlimited texts, Handset £45.00 + Almost certain you can substitute unlimited texts for limited net + £30.00 cashback
  6. DVD-Man

DVD-Man Active Member

Ratings:
    +690
    So I logged into My T-Mobile account this morning, no Desire HD available but the Desire for wait for it £180 and the Galaxy S for £240 and to renew my current contract for another 18months, now who actually takes these offers when on a £35 pm contract most handsets are free or sub £50?

Crazy stuff, Retentions here I come.

Liam
  7. elgorm

elgorm Member

Ratings:
    +42

Mine was the same with Vodafone, £150 for a plain desire and £35 month 18 months. No chance.

It annoys me that they state 'Whether it's a new phone you're after or saving money - all our best offers are online. '

Its a blatent lie and I demand a free Desire HD on launch day on £25 a month 18 month contract.:lease:
  8. stewart28

stewart28 Member

Ratings:
    +33

when i got my desire in april i had logged on to my t-mobile account and got it for £10 upgrade, all i had to do was take another 18month contract.
  9. Craggyisland

Craggyisland Member

Ratings:
    +9
    This is roughly what I went for for both me and my girlfriend. Only difference is that we paid £89 for the phone and added the 'unlimited' data. I've got a Quidco account so that softened the blow for each phone down to £59. First time that I have paid money for a mobile since I was on PAYG 10 years ago...
  10. martymcfarty

martymcfarty Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I am not a phones expert, but my mate (who says that he is), says that the HD is not £10 a month better than the Desire so he is going to get the desire, load 2.2 Froyo onto it and effectively get all the same features for much cheaper. Can you guys shed any light on this? Aside from the bigger screen, better camera etc is the HD better in general than the original Desire?

I had also read that the HD battery is worse an the Desires one, which is alittle worry considering the screen size! Anyone heard anything like this, or can shed any light on the battery? Could be a deal breaker for me if it's poor.

Thanks in advance, and please forgive any typos etc, ive spent the last 12 hours writing my dissertation.
  11. dmx005

dmx005 Member

Ratings:
    +30
    I'd also be interested to hear thoughts on this. I'm considering the Desire but will wait until the HD is launched in the hope handset prices will drop. I'm not really bothered about the 8MP camera & cannot see too many other major advantages of the HD (from the specs on the HTC site)..

But then again I may be missing something!
  12. elgorm

elgorm Member

Ratings:
    +42
    I think one of the main thing for me other than the bigger screen is the new htcsense.com features which apparently will not be coming to the desire.

Also the processor is supposed to be a new type which is quicker?!?
  13. martymcfarty

martymcfarty Member

Ratings:
    +1
    my 'expert' mate says that 2.2 has already been sussed out by programming types so that if you root the desire you can get 2.2 running on it with the new Sense UI. Again I have no idea whether the desire would cope with this with a slower processor but he seems confident.

I have also read today that 3.0 will be out at xmas or shortly afterwards. No I am thinking maybe I should wait for the next HTC superphone, but I guess if i waited that long I start thinking "oh Android 4.0 is out soon Ill wait for that...." and so on.

I should prob just take the plunge now I guess!
  14. elgorm

elgorm Member

Ratings:
    +42
    Thinking of 3.0 I'm not sure if the orginal Desire or the HD version will get updates and or who will get it first.
  15. shirks

shirks Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    the desire HD also has a proper VGA engine so If you do play games its handy.

Oct 27th is when I can upgrade so its perfect timing for me!.
  16. DVD-Man

DVD-Man Active Member

Ratings:
    +690
    Will have a chat to T-Mobile and if they hit me with crap deals I'll jump back to vodafone where I can get a signal at my parents and in the supermarket.

@ stewart28 do you normally use more than your allowance? meaning your were maybe seen as a 'better' customer?

Liam
  17. stewart28

stewart28 Member

Ratings:
    +33
    At the very most I go over by 5 quid. But I run three contracts at the one time. They have told me I can run 5 at any one time.
  18. russd1978

russd1978 Member

Ratings:
    +116
    Does the Desire HD have a better loudspeaker on the back than the original Desire? I ask because I love my Desire but the only weak point is the horrible speaker on the back. If they have fixed that I may upgrade.
  19. gamez4life

gamez4life Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Id assume so, noones said anything about the sound, by HTC were highlighting the dolby sound in the phone
  20. bubs999

bubs999 Member

Ratings:
    +214
    This is the only place I've looked so far and it seems like a good deal (not had Vodafone for many years though)

For me it would have to be O2, or Voda as Orange is just rubbish near me.
  21. robcab

robcab Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I've just given Vodafone a ring to ask then about an upgrade onto the DHD on an 18 months contract. I'm currently paying £35 a month for 700 minutes, 1Gb of data and 200 or 300 texts. His first offer was £35 a month for 300 minutes and 500mb of data to which I explained that that wasn't nearly enough data. He started to tell me that that was now industry standard and as of the 1st October all phone companies would be offering 500Mb, then before he had even had the chance to finish his lie he said, hang on there is another deal here, £35, 300 mins and 1Gb of data??
    Now those don't seem like upgrade deals to me. Are the phone companies giving up trying to compete with each other?
    Also, he said that he had on his computer a delivery date to their warehouses for the 1st to the 3rd of October.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  22. elgorm

elgorm Member

Ratings:
    +42
    Good work, I really wanted to pay £30 a month tops but I think if I want this in the next couple of weeks its going to be £35. Did you get offered ultd texts too?

Think I'll give them a call, did you get through to retentions or just the upgrade line?
  23. robcab

robcab Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Yep, both deals came with unlimited texts which I asked to chop in for more minutes but he said he couldn't as all Vodafone deals now come with unlimited texts as standard.

Edit to add:

I just dialed customer services (191) and asked for upgrades. I'm still not sure about the phone to be honest and I'll wait until T-Mobile release their plans before trying to put a bit of pressure onto retentions.
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  24. DVD-Man

DVD-Man Active Member

Ratings:
    +690
    At the moment only just coming to the end of my first full contract (being a PAYG user for nearly ten years) it seems it's like insurance you have to jump ship every year.

Looks like every company is targeted on new business and not retaining customers.

Liam
  25. DVD-Man

DVD-Man Active Member

Ratings:
    +690
    Went into Vodafone today, someone is gonna call me about the Desire HD but the girls say the phone is due 04/10/10!

Liam
  26. robcab

robcab Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I've found these deals for an 18 month contract with T-Mobile.
    Tariffs - HTC Desire HD - Mobile Phones Direct
    For £35 per month you get 600 mins and "unlimited mobile web" plus unlimited texts although the handset costs £19. Could someone tell me if that will be the 3Gb that T-Mobile offer when you go direct to them or will it be 1Gb? I might give them a ring tomorrow and ask them actually. Either way it makes Vodafone's upgrade offer look a bit poor.

Edit: It's 1Gb
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  27. bubs999

bubs999 Member

Ratings:
    +214
    Just ordered one on Voda and it launches on the 11th Oct
  28. hash004

hash004 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    how much and what is voda offering?
  29. DVD-Man

DVD-Man Active Member

Ratings:
    +690
    Vodafone called me today, the girl said: -

24 months contract free handset, 600 mins, unltd txt and ultd data (we know she means 1GB or so then FUP etc) 30ppm 24x30-30=£690

18 months contract free handset, 600 mins, unltd txt and ultd data (we know she means 1GB or so then FUP etc) 35ppm 18x35-35=£595

Both with 1st month free.

Pretty tempting deal, although, 24 months with T-Mobile via mobilephonesdirect can be 600mins, 500 text and ultd data (1GB apparently) for 25ppm £69 for the Handset 24x25+69=£669

Decisions Decisions:lesson::confused::rolleyes::suicide::lease::facepalm:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  30. hash004

hash004 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I like the 24 month one from vodafone, if only it was £25 like the t-mobile one it would be awesome.

EDIT: I had a chat with voda online but they said the 24 month deal u posted didnt exist :S
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2010