Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTC Desire Discussion Thread Part II

Discussion in 'HTC Mobile Phones' started by RobM, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,184
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. niall@inkything

niall@inkything Member

Ratings:
    +68
    Darn it! It's a pain trying to continue a conversation from a closed thread, but here goes...

Stu1wyatt, sorry to be such a literal and demanding twerp, but what are the settings exactly that work for you? Could you post them up here? AFAIK I already have the wap02 MMS settings, but maybe I've missed something.
  3. SUDORED

SUDORED Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Anyone else had a problem with there desire not fully charging? mine wont charge past 95%.
  4. leeince

leeince Active Member

Ratings:
    +263
    Ok chaps, Ive had a quick look through the first thread but could find the answers to my question and thought it would be easier to just ask,

1. My clock does not display the weather underneath it, why is this??
    2. When I add a widget to one of my homescreens, like friend stream I dont get an option to pick the size its just the icon, how do I change this.

If any of you guys can help with these that would be great and if theres any must have apps ut there you think I should know about then please let me know, this is my first Android phone and ive come over from the iphone, the apps I used most on my iphone was:

Livescores
    Sky sports
    Angry Birds
    Engadget (Ive got this on the Desire)

My girlfriend also want an app for compiling her weekly shopping list that also lets you add prices and quantities, is there an app on the Android Market that does this??

Thanks for your help,

Lee
  5. thirdangle

thirdangle Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Silly question probably - my desire has a symbol on the top left hand corner of the screen - like a shopping bag but not, I think, the android market symbol. What is it? - how do I get rid of it? Thanks
  6. cmt

cmt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +217
    Put your finger on it and 'slide' the screen down.

Its an update for a Market app.
  7. thirdangle

thirdangle Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Great, thanks
  8. Robertos

Robertos Member

Ratings:
    +1
    This may be down to the widget you select.

Add widget > Clock (HTC) > then the clock is displayed on the screen, below it you should have something like < Select > . Press on arrow > to find a widget with the weather. On my phone it's the third one.

Cheers.
  9. leeince

leeince Active Member

Ratings:
    +263
    Thanks mate got that sorted now, any idea how when selecting a widget for the home screen like calendar of friend i can select the full screen version, at the moment Im getting the icons??
  10. Robertos

Robertos Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Again, it comes all down to how the app was done and what it has to offer. It may have more than one widget to select then each widget may have couple different graphic representations.

If it doesn't have what you are looking for android market is packed up with all sorts.
  11. mike_6480

mike_6480 Active Member

Ratings:
    +116
    Livescores is available on the marketplace. I can't find skysports, but I do have an app called "Football news". This then lets you pick you provides the news (sky, bbc, espn etc) - if it's just for football you are looking for that is

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. leeince

leeince Active Member

Ratings:
    +263
    Thanks for all your help so far guys, still stuck with the widgets though, when we got the phone the friends stream widget was already on one of the homescreens and the widget took up the whole screen and was running, I removed all the widgets off the home screens so that I could start a again and set them up as I wanted them but now when I put friend stream back on a homescreen it only goes on there as a icon not the fullscreen open, running widget, how do I do this.
  13. Jase Winter

Jase Winter Active Member

Ratings:
    +363
    when you add to the homescreen are you selecting program or widget?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. dan25730

dan25730 Active Member

Ratings:
    +186
    Widget = fullscreen, program = small icon, I think... took me a while to figure this out.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. leeince

leeince Active Member

Ratings:
    +263
    Nice one Jase, nice one Dan all sorted now!!!

Loving the phone, I love how snappy it is and the screen is the best ive seen!! One thing I would like to know is how does the Desire or Android compare to the Iphone when it comes to games?? I dont play alot of games but I have downloaded a few games on the Desire and they dont seem as polished as the Iphones games, I know this proberly has alot to do with the fact the games arent developed for the Desire specifically and are made to run on devices of a much lower spec but are there any really good looking simple games for the Desire like angry birds??

And is there any plans for google to implement something in the market place so that maybe when you log on to the market place with a certain handset it recognizes the handset and will show you content thats been optimized to run on that device, im not sure if that makes sence but I can see this being a big problem for the andriod market, developers have to make games or apps that run on low end devices and they are therefore not up to the standard set by the Iphone, not a big problem for me because I dont play alot of games and all the apps I use are on android in some shape or form...... the Desire is a great phone and its not over priced, infact its very reasonabley priced and price was one of the main reasons I made the move over from Iphone.
  16. crazy4ker

crazy4ker Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I'm assuming that with the power adapter you can charge other usb devices. Haven't tried yet.

I've also bought the offical HTC charger. I wasn't going to risk a cheapo one for £5 less. I've seen different amp ratings and I don't really want to risk it.
  17. jms_uk

jms_uk Member

Ratings:
    +182
    Ok, so who's going to take the trip to XDA Developers and Flash their Desire with a vanilla Rom?

I'm getting mine on Orange, so there's likely to be a load of operator specific rubbish on there I'll probably never need or want.. however I'm just wondering if its worth the hassle (warranty issues and whatnot)

The posts I've seen on XDA developers seem to waver between there being no performance improvement (the poster did it to simply remove all of the Orange gunk) and subjective observations of "upto a 30% increase in speed".. I guess if there's a way to get back to the state it shipped as (via a back up of some kind) then the risk isn't too great, still..

The thing I can't seem to determine easily (mebbe I haven't searched on XDA thoroughly enough) - is whether the "vanilla Rom" people are using leaves HTCs sense UI intact but removes everything else...

Anyone got any ideas? :)

** EDIT ** Ok a bit of additional searching has revealed that the Orange branded stuff can be turned off leaving you with the original sense UI... I guess flashing a vanilla HTC Rom doesn't need to be an option until HTC release updates/fixes and Orange (as usual no doubt) will be slow to follow
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  18. Robertos

Robertos Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Quite true, wouldn't save money on cheap charger. Got this one from amazon: HTC CC C200 Micro USB Car Charger For HTC Desire: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo HTC branded, cable is detachable and can be used to connect phone to PC ;]
  19. hot-fuzz

hot-fuzz Active Member

Ratings:
    +602
    I got the Mobilefun HTC branded Desire Car charger and that can also be detached and used as a PC connection cable, but this one has a cool glowing HTC logo to tell when you are charging.
    All for £15 and not sold by a 3rd party company.

Definately worth buying official rather than rubbish off Ebay if you are going to spend £400 on a phone.

:thumbsup:
  20. leeince

leeince Active Member

Ratings:
    +263
    Guys, any idea why even though its 21:49pm my weather app still show it as being Sunny outside (picture of the sun)?? if I scroll through other countries it show the moon for Berlin but not where I am, why is this??
  21. hot-fuzz

hot-fuzz Active Member

Ratings:
    +602
    Try refreshing it. your weather refresh might not have kicked in. mine only refreshes manually, so if i dont do it, it will show the weather from the last time i did.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  22. Shaunybo

Shaunybo Member

Ratings:
    +4
    under my clock it usualy states 'Belfast' but today i turned my phone off and when i turned it back on its states 'Current location' as it would when adding the widget and you get to choose your location. any ideas how to fix it?
  23. DrNookie

DrNookie New Member

Ratings:
    +8
    click the weather icon then click the refresh button. That should do the trick.
  24. DrNookie

DrNookie New Member

Ratings:
    +8

I bought a spare charger for work from ebay for £3.95 and it works perfectly. They also now do the charger and car charger for just £5.45 or car charger alone for £2.45.

CE MAINS CHARGER FOR HTC DESIRE LEGEND on eBay (end time 06-May-10 20:19:47 BST)

CE MAINS & IN CAR CHARGER FOR HTC HD MINI DESIRE LEGEND on eBay (end time 06-May-10 20:19:55 BST)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CE-IN-CAR-CHA...neChargers?hash=item19bb9a2719#ht_2246wt_1165
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  25. hot-fuzz

hot-fuzz Active Member

Ratings:
    +602
    ok, but as mentioned, if its dodgy and the wrong voltage (do you really know the truth coming from Ebay?) then you could damage your phone, all for saving only £10.

Just be careful.
  26. daveaka

daveaka Active Member

Ratings:
    +268
    Can someone point me in the direction of a decent screen protector and case ?
    I've had a little look on ebay but didn't really know what was suitable..

thanks
  27. stu1wyatt

stu1wyatt Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Hi All,

As mentioned previously on the thread, these will work if you are on an iphone tarrif.

I send mms messages without any issues.

This needs to be a seperate APN to the one you are using for web, the web one can be the standard idata.02.co.uk as used on the iphone.

Name: O2 UK MMS
    APN: wap.o2.co.uk
    Proxy: Wifi Homepage New
    Port: 9201
    Username: o2wap
    Password: password
    Server: http://mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002
    MMSC: http://mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002
    MMS proxy: 193.113.200.195
    MMS port: 8080
    MCC: 234
    MNC: 10