1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HP ProLiant MicroServer N40L Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by webjames, Oct 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RichTJ99

RichTJ99 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I figure I will ask here too. I updated the N40L bios to the latest from thebay. I am not sure if the 250gb drive that is plugged into the SATA port is Ultra DMA2 but I thought it would be udma 5 or 6 like my other 2tb drives.

I didnt change anything in the bios as I couldnt find anything related to IDE to switch it from ATA to SATA speeds.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Rich
  2. maxwell4321

maxwell4321 Active Member

Ratings:
    +385
    The supplied 250gb drive is UDMA 5 and on mine is reported as mode 4 in the BIOS but then when WHS is running it is in mode 5. UDMA 2 is effectively IDE mode

Which BIOS did you flash (the one from the first post or the one from post 6) of the Bays thread ? This matters as regards settings.
  3. HEADRAT

HEADRAT Member

Ratings:
    +5
    It lives, WHS v1 PP3 all setup on my N40L:-

[​IMG]

Didn't expect my 3TB drive to be recognised so happy about that!

Running under AHCI mode now :)

Don't currently need ports 5/6 but I guess I might upgrade the BIOS at the weekend.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  4. deep1986

deep1986 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Right I've just got off the phone with a lady from Outbound, and she has informed me that:

1) the promotion will be extended through December
    2) as long as you bought it in November you can still claim cashback :)
  5. HEADRAT

HEADRAT Member

Ratings:
    +5
  6. IanW1977

IanW1977 Active Member

Ratings:
    +242
    Yes i e mailed hp and the promotion is carried through to December
  7. stenn

stenn Member

Ratings:
    +1
    :thumbsup:
    Oh good- bought one last night - fired an email off to out-bound asking, but no reply as yet
  8. deep1986

deep1986 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    The lady who works on that specific promotion is working through them.

She said she had quite a lot in her inbox this morning.

Dear Mr Bal,

Thank you for your email.

The offer is being extended into December so purchases until 31st December are valid with a closing date of Tuesday 31st January for getting your claims to us. We do require a copy if your invoice from your seller, which you might not receive until your order has shipped.

Kind Regards

Claire King

That's the response I received this morning
  9. RichTJ99

RichTJ99 Member

Ratings:
    +0

Hi,

I flashed the first bios in the thread.

O41072911.rar
    O41072911.rar

One of my drives is showing up as UDMA 2, the others are all showing up as UDMA 5/6

Thanks,
    Rich
  10. stenn

stenn Member

Ratings:
    +1
    :smashin:
    :thumbsup:

Nice find -- will only allow 2 / account -- probably a good thing at the mo" -- been an expensive few hrs --
    they also have the 2Tb @ £79.99 - £40 / TB, the 2TB are for local pickup only, so may be a problem at some stores.

Now the hardest question of all -- how to hide a few deliveries, set it all up - hide in a nice dark corner - without being pounced upon by "she who must be obeyed"
  11. maxwell4321

maxwell4321 Active Member

Ratings:
    +385
    Im guessing the one showing as UDMA2 is on port 5 which is still in IDE mode.

From the Bay's thread

"To enable AHCI on all ports, go to Southbridge Config, SATA 4/5 and disable sata 4/5 IDE mode"
  12. alitech

alitech Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +48
    Guys

Can we get this one going please? I just bought this and its just lying there. I do need a backup solution and I am struggling to figure out what will be best for my needs. Here is what I would like to do:

1. Backup all my outlook PST files (incrementally on change or timed, which ever is possible)
    2. Incremental or timed backup of all my media files.
    3. Backup of some select folders on my laptop and htpc
    4. A full system restore of my HTPC including programs and OS files. This needs to be as current as possible.

Might have a few other needs that are not very important as of now, but may look to getting them in the future. Maybe a torrent engine for downloading all content. (i dont really know how you could make torrents downloading work on a NAS)

Noob as you can imagine, need all the help I can get. Been looking into WHS2011 and I like what they are offering with full media etc and a sub domain to access externally. Not really sure what people are talking about when they say they cannot extend the hard disks any more.

For now, I have the bare bone system lying on my desk. I have sent in the claim form etc, but I want to get working on this immediately. My data is too precious for me to be sitting around looking at the server.

Any help is much appreciated.
  13. stenn

stenn Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Cheapest price I've found online is £33.89 delivered The IT Seller

Many questions before committing,,

Not keen on the 10 cal's tho' -- could use that up & more in no time - laptops / pc's & mbl phones - not sure if the mbl's are classed as an extra bum for the cal purpose & nothing on MS site (as far as I can find). Anyone know better? - I also have a couple of playon HD2's are they classed as a further bum? unfortunately the TV sets are not DNLA capable on their own hence the ac ryans provide the network to HDMI link.

Will the CCCP codec pack for *mkv files work in WHS, so these files can be streamed?

Also can anyone say if the new version of freenas supports smart phones, apple & android???

At least one good thing about freenas is that it can be downloaded & tested "on site" WHS just allows an online trail

"Might have a few other needs that are not very important as of now, but may look to getting them in the future. Maybe a torrent engine for downloading all content. (i dont really know how you could make torrents downloading work on a NAS)"
    Quite a few have this function the playon's / and LG nas I currently run - not sure how it all works - just put the torrent url in the box - and they do the rest????
  14. theronkinator

theronkinator Member

Ratings:
    +95
    Why would you need a codec pack to stream files. Whether the server can play them or not makes no difference, it's the client device that needs to support them, not the server.

Not sure what you mean by 10 cal's do you mean 10 users, again, don't see why this is an issue, a user is different to a device. You can have as many devices as you like, just only 10 users, in a home setting realistically how many user account/different access settings do you need. For example I have an XBMC user account that can just access the media, and 6 devices all use that one account.
  15. shy1807

shy1807 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Has anyone had any issues with the N40L switching itself off or going into some sort of sleep mode? I can't find any power settings within Windows 7 relating to disabling standy/hibernation.
  16. JeffD

JeffD Active Member

Ratings:
    +555
    I believe the 10 Cal limitation only relates to the number of client PC's you wish to backup via WHS. There is no limit as far as I know on the number of clients that can connect to the shares where the files are stored on the server.
    Codec packs are not used for streaming, these only for playback compatibility on client PC's.

The streaming method used depends on the file compatibility of the client device, your ac ryans should support most file types & codecs therefore the SMB shares created by WHS can be mapped to from the ac ryans.

For anything with limited file/codec compatility then either the native WHS DLNA server or another DLNA Server app you install is used to stream to the clients.
    If you go the WHS route then utorrent can be installed on WHS & then remotely managed via the utorrent web gui.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. aRd

aRd Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I've put WHS2011 on my N40, it has been a right pain to make it work with my BT Hub 2.0 for remote access and UPnP (still is not working on my mede8er player, doesn't show the folders). I wanted to use the server for storage of my dvd, bluray, music, docs pictures etc. File storage system, not really interested in streaming. Anyone got a good guide how to use WHS2011
    or alternative OS. Regret buying WHS2011 now
  18. Chanser

Chanser Member

Ratings:
    +209
    I found out WHS 2011 disables networking whenever I enable auto-login.
  19. jimwalsh

jimwalsh Member

Ratings:
    +28
    I highly recommend Openmediavault it installed from a USB stick without problems to a small SSD and is running a RAID 5 array.

OpenMediaVault - Home

I have my microserver downloading with sickbeard and couchpotato via SABnzbd and streaming 1080p to 3 clients without a problem.

I have changed the psu for a picopsu and done the silent fan mod from SPCR and the microserver is effectively silent. much quieter and faster than the QNAP 239 pro II it is replacing.
  20. stenn

stenn Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Apologies my confusing terms ;:blush:

In the system I run at the moment, there's a mix of ancient and new equipment, the old (prehistoric in pc life - 10+ years) soon to be redundant media server has the capabilities to broadcast audio / video files to clients,, hence the requirement for codecs etc,. and my confusing terms.

The newer side of things is a LG dual bay nas (DNLA etc built in), a Zxtel media server / nas unit + another pc stuffed full of storage drives, feeding into the media server & open on the network with a couple of playon's providing the TV interface - need to tidy the whole lot up, centralize and sort out many mix's of OS's.

MS server systems used to work on the principle of (based on a Back Office server I used to have), 1 cal (based on mac address) = 1 connection - stayed away from MS server systems since then, however that was my thoughts re- that 10 cals wouldn't be anywhere near enough. WHS therefore works on different cal / client system.

BTW for those confused by cal this is a client access licence.
  21. psikey

psikey Active Member

Ratings:
    +697
    I also decide WHS 2011 was not for me when I had a N36L. Now I've got an N40L I'm just running a copy of Windows 7 Pro.

Installed PS3 Media Server purely for use with a PS3 as it fools it to playing .mkv files without issue and using Twonky Server for the WDTV's upstairs and other streaming duties.

Installed uTorrent and set some Share's up for file storage (I use Acronis TrueImage Home 2012 for PC backups).

Can proper control the Microserver by Remote Desktop over internet using any PC or even my Galaxy Tab.

Only other software I've got on it is AVG Internet Security 2012.

Have an SSD off optical port for OS, 4x2TB drives for storage in RAID 0 and a couple of external eSata large backup drives for remote backup data storage. Only pulling 20-22W idling (drives in standby) :smashin:

Still have my QNAP TS-219 Pro II but don't really need it now especially as it can't handle PS3 Media Server while the Microserver can.
  22. RichTJ99

RichTJ99 Member

Ratings:
    +0
  23. deep1986

deep1986 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I will be setting mine up tomorrow, I have 2 x 2tb drives, and will be buying a third in a few weeks.

I think Raid 5 would be best for me, can I add in that other drive with no issues? Or will I have to format my data completely?
  24. arrel006

arrel006 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm interested in getting one. Complete noob so this should be educational.
    was thinking about buying the dns 320 which would be a nice introduction to nas and boxee box. However reading the posts I'm thinking the n40l can do what both of these do.
    got a few questions, I'm thinking of putting 2 x 2tb hard drives when prices come down, a blu ray drive and if possible a 3d compatible graphic cards. My question is will 150w be enough to power them all? Oh yeah plus mite need extra 2 or 4 gig ram. Thanks
  25. psikey

psikey Active Member

Ratings:
    +697
    Yes, no problem .
    25w limit on the GPU but a passive 6450 works perfectly providing audio over HDMI & DXVA transcoding (in Windows) boost if your using it as a HTPC. 2GB is fine really but I increased mine to 4GB as I had a spare 2GB stick.

Perfect fit: http://www.ebuyer.com/264765-his-hd...h645h1g?utm_source=google&utm_medium=products

What OS you thinking of using as I think you really need an NVidia card for better Linux support.
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  26. arrel006

arrel006 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    as I'm new to nas, I'm going to see how freenas works for me, heard there's a new version. If there's limitations on that than will experiment with whs2011 or if there's a good guide to ubuntu that's something I want to learn to use.
    Any recommendation on os and nvidia graphics card is welcomed. Aswell as tips for running it as a htpc.
  27. arrel006

arrel006 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ok I've read a gt520 should work although its rated at 29w. Any thoughts to that?

secondly apparently you can use a gt430 by connecting the other pci-e to a molex connector? I don't think I should attempt this at my technical level, but anyone who has tried this would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks
  28. Chanser

Chanser Member

Ratings:
    +209
    GT520 should be fine, I have a 6450 on it.

Got the cashback confirmed.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  29. IanW1977

IanW1977 Active Member

Ratings:
    +242
  30. IanW1977

IanW1977 Active Member

Ratings:
    +242
    How long does it take ?
Thread Status: