1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HP ProLiant MicroServer N40L Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by webjames, Oct 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacUsers

MacUsers Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Dunno about eBuyer; bought it from dabs and the invoice was sent to my mailbox on the day it was dispatched. Normally you get a delivery note with the delivery and the invoice arrives separately but I've seen retailers to put the invoice in the box as well. Looks like if the item comes straight from the warehouse or manufactures, it doesn't carry the invoice with it. Cheers!!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. nacmacfeegle

nacmacfeegle Active Member

Ratings:
    +834
    "and when does the invoice arrive, with the unit or by email from ebuyer?"

You can print it directly from your ebuyer account.

edit Ah, AJfish beat me to it.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  3. XRS

XRS Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Could be a problem if you don't have the serial number, though. Mine came from Dabs the day after I ordered it (though I had asked for it to be delivered on day 2) and I sorted out the claim by email in no time at all.
  4. jerrymac

jerrymac Member

Ratings:
    +29
    I had the same configuration and experienced the same thing.
    Flashed to a different bios version and the freezing on shutdown disappeared.
    WHS2011 now shuts down as normal or reboots as normal when it needs to.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. ajfish

ajfish Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Originally Posted by ajfish [​IMG]

rdoddy,
    I think you will be fine. If you read the terms of conditions of the offer which you signed, it doesn't mention anything about delivery, only about the invoice date. Since you have signed these they can't turn around and hold you to having the server delivered by the end of the month.
    Your invoice should be available already via Ebuyer. Go to "My Account" and print it off.
    AJ

Well you can get the serial number when the box arrives. Not having the serial number just means that the claim can't be submitted until the box arrives. The claim doesn't have to be submitted before the end of the month.
    AJ
  6. Dazo

Dazo Member

Ratings:
    +74
    For anyone thinking of going down the same route latest Serviio seems to be working a lot better for me compared to PS Media server. Transcoding on the fly to my Sony TV with only about 40% CPU usage on files that running via PS3 media server my TV wouldn't even see.
  7. instigator

instigator Member

Ratings:
    +69
    Cool...
  8. baldmosher

baldmosher Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Wow, we get around Jerry!
  9. DarkEntity

DarkEntity Member

Ratings:
    +131
    Thats my order in for 8Gb Ram, 3Tb Hard Drive and Windows Home Server 2011 :)

should be here Wednesday, cant wait to get it all setup :)
  10. baldmosher

baldmosher Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Yep, HD5450 is fine as long as you're using Windows. Linux support for AMD GPU is poor but GPU is marginally better video quality. Otherwise, go for a G210 or GT530 or similar, depends whether you want 3D capability. All well under £40.

But the onboard CPU will easily decode 1080p BluRays, if it's already not under heavy use from other apps, so you might not need an onboard GPU at all, except for HDMI or (optical) audio output. No sound card in the Microserver, but it does have VGA output already, so perhaps you could make do with that and a cheap USB "sound card" with optical audio output to the amp. Depends entirely on your setup & requirements, I chose a GT530 with a fan for various reasons, none of which seem like such a good idea with hindsight, but I can always sell it and buy a passive HD5450/6450/6570 eventually.

HDMI will carry audio, video and ethernet right down the chain from end to end - your amp will only access the audio data of course, and your TV (if you turn the sound up of course) will access the audio and video data. Think of your Microserver as if it were your BD player, set top digibox, and Apple TV combined, with a full internet connection, and a cackload of storage built in.....

As regards "streaming to your amp" unless your amp is capable of decoding and outputting video somehow I think you're mixing your metaphors. The only things that do the streaming are your Microserver or any other DLNA or similar media server on the network.

EDIT: more sense here:#
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/16265343-post862.html
    A very wise choice IMHO
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  11. baldmosher

baldmosher Member

Ratings:
    +3
    That sounds like something I really need to try out but I know I'd rather pay for 35W of power 24/7 than waste my time working out how to do that! :)
  12. ajfish

ajfish Member

Ratings:
    +3
    BaldMosher, LOL. That tickled me, but I did read my post back and it does sounds horrendously complicated. It really isn't. When I get time I will put together some screenshots and make it available, especially if anyone else wants to save some power!;-)
    AJ
  13. Dazo

Dazo Member

Ratings:
    +74
    I would definitely be interested in this. Does anyone use or know of any magic packet sender software for MAC ?
  14. MacUsers

MacUsers Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Actually, you don't need any s/w for Mac (I believe you meant Apple Macintosh) - all you need a little script to do that. You can take look at this script I wrote a while ago; it works on both OS X and Linux. The same thing can be done using AppleScript as well but I never tried that. Hope that helps. Cheers!!
  15. Dazo

Dazo Member

Ratings:
    +74
    Cheers will have a look when I get home.
  16. ajfish

ajfish Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Well you don't actually need a script at all or anything for the MAC in order to send the magic packets, you can use this website to send the magic packet. I haven't actually tried it, but clearly it's platform independant."http://www.lchu.net/wowASP/index.htm"
    New Page 1 <---Their title tags are a bit amiss!
    AJ
  17. MacUsers

MacUsers Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Couple of thoughts - what about the site is down or the Internet service is interrupted in your local area or maybe your modem/router facing difficulties connecting the out side world? A "standalone" thing is always worth having, if possible.
    Independent in what sense - sending or receiving? "Sending" cannot be platform independent e.g. a WOL script written in VB cannot be executed from your Linux desktop or MacBook but can wake up a computer running Linux, Mac, Solaris or Windows. The same for the website - if it was made with .Net, then you cannot run it on, for example a Solaris server (in normal circumstance); in this case the web server itself actually acts as the WOL magic-packet sender. Cheers!!
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  18. JeffD

JeffD Active Member

Ratings:
    +555
    As others have said, the invoice will be available in your ebuyer account as soon as you are charged, however you need to be careful you print off the right thing as people have had the cashback rejected by supplying the wrong print out.

Once logged in your Account go to My Orders then under the relelvent Order Number column select the order the Microserver was part of, this opens the View Order screen, note - this is not the invoice screen you need. From the View Order window you should see the Microserver under Product Description, go along the line to the right until you get to the Status column, if invoice is available then it will say Invoiced here, click on the Invoiced link and this will take you to the Ebuyer Invoice window, I've attached a screenhot of the window you need.

Attached Files:

19. Dazo

Dazo Member

Ratings:
    +74
    I did come across that site during a search but as mentioned above I would prefer to send the packets local via my own network.

Thanks for posting the info though.
  20. fixtures_man

fixtures_man Member

Ratings:
    +8
    anyone think the offer will be extended? Tempted but don't want to take a chance ordering today
  21. ajfish

ajfish Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Well if you only want to do this on your own LAN then fair point, but in that case I find my forefinger works just as quickly to turn the server on. ;)
    AJ
  22. Dazo

Dazo Member

Ratings:
    +74
    Haha Fair point but not if the server is tucked away and I would rather sit on my arse.
  23. fixtures_man

fixtures_man Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I have a few 2GB DDR3 1060MHz RAM modules lying around. Would they be compatible?
  24. Mark.balcombe

Mark.balcombe Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I emailed them yesterday and they advised the Promotion was going to be extended into February.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  25. fixtures_man

fixtures_man Member

Ratings:
    +8
    sweet sounds good
  26. davisa

davisa Member

Ratings:
    +20
    My Microserver from eBuyer finally arrived (seems Supersaver delivery just means keep it in despatch for 4 days, then send it on a next day. Hmmm.)

Emailed off my voucher Sunday night and got confirmation Monday 9:30am!

On the OS front, so far I've tried:

1. FreeNAS. Wasn't impressed. Seemed OK, but a bit cobbled together compared to my QNAP or ReadyNAS OS's. Keeps giving critical errors on reboot relating to secondary partition map being corrupt. Forums seem divided on this (common problem) - may or may not be an issue, or just a logging error. I'm not prepared to trust my data with such a potentially critical error though - which is the whole point of a NAS.

2. UnRAID. Seems fine so far. Very command line and documentation is all over the place, often out of date, confused or just lacking. Common functions not east to find (ie: how do I reboot safely or shutdown safely my NAS. No clear answer I could find.). GUI is UGLY with a capital U G L Y! Installed a new skin which at least lets me look at it without being sick and the add-ons seem good, if a little bit strange in relation to installing and reinstalling them each boot.

3. OpenFiler. Didn't see the point as no AFP support.

4. Windows Home Server 2011. Not a Windows person, but thought I should try all options. This will be my task over the next few days. I know it won't do AFP (without virtualisation) but it would have benefits of running iTunes (although I read it is a pain to install). Also not sure about virus's scanning as don't bother on Mac/Unix. Intending to use FlexRaid with it.

Conclusion: Unless WHS is brilliant, I'll use UnRaid and suffer the steep learning curve.

UPDATE 1/2/11: Didn't get on with WHS at all. Its clearly fine with a mainly Windows network, but I have all Mac's and it really isn't targeted at me. I found the install cumbersome, the control panel install messy and requirements of IE baffling.

So, back to UnRAID for an extended test...
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  27. clockworks

clockworks Member

Ratings:
    +326
    WHS2011 works fine with iTunes - at least, it does for me with my N40L. iTunes isn't happy about the lack of a soundcard, but that can be resolved for less than £2.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  28. MikeK

MikeK Member

Ratings:
    +320
    There's also OpenMediaVault and ZFSGuru that you could take a look at.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  29. Uridium

Uridium Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,879
    2008 R2 runs well on the Microserver as well if you can get a copy via dreamspark or MSDN etc..bit pricey if not though.
  30. Dazo

Dazo Member

Ratings:
    +74
    Get an error when trying save the suggested script, copied below.

Pop up box says the following: A &#8220;"&#8221; can't go after this identifier.

Pointing this line with the text in bold and underlined highlighted: exec /usr/bin/python -x "$0" "$@"
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.