Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HP ProLiant MicroServer N36L Owner's Thread - Part 3

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Iccz, Sep 21, 2011.

1. TheBay

TheBay Member

Ratings:
    +146
    You should be able to cancel it, however you are covered for 14 days under distance selling act, so you can return the item with no penalty.

Where was this item suggested mate?
  2. chrisdesp

chrisdesp Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just look at the previous page post #100. Of course it is my mistake as well ,I should have searched first, but I thought he knew what he was suggesting.
  3. Methanoid

Methanoid Member

Ratings:
    +19

7 days I think ;)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. chrisdesp

chrisdesp Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I hope they cancel it since it hasn't been dispatched yet. I sent order cancelation request explaining the reason ,so I think they have to cancel. I hasn't even been 1 hour since I put the order.
  5. TheBay

TheBay Member

Ratings:
    +146
    You are right, my error :)
  6. Methanoid

Methanoid Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Would be very pleased if your bios can fix WOL ;) but still gotta be worth having a modded bios based on latest HP one. Now we just need cash back on the N40L model :)
  7. TheBay

TheBay Member

Ratings:
    +146
    I've seen some flags in relation to the onboard nic, but it's refering to an Atheros chipset, the microserver uses a Broadcom!, I'm going to have a play around with it and see what I can sort out.

I've sussed out how to get memory timings up and make the adjustable from the BIOS and changing CPU freq etc, might be of some use to the overclockers out there lol!.

Agreed cashback sorely needed on the N40L!
  8. dga

dga Member

Ratings:
    +19
    I apologise if what you have ordered doesn't work and the links have been removed just in case. I can assure you that the Crucial stick has been running along side the standard 1GB ECC stick without any issues. All the listed links showed that they are unbuffered.
  9. TheBay

TheBay Member

Ratings:
    +146
    What OS are you using for WOL, been reading Broadcom's programming manual for this chipset, I might be able to help.

Broadcom NICS will only do WOL if they have been put in a certain mode by the driver before shut down, if the power is lost or the OS doesn't do that it won't do WOL, there are a few ways around it I think.
  10. chrisdesp

chrisdesp Member

Ratings:
    +0
  11. Benoe

Benoe Member

Ratings:
    +5
    If S3 is not possible for some reasons it would be also great to shorten the time of the boot:
    BIOS spends seconds at messages like "Press F10 to setup" and such.
    I was able to disable PXE boot and raid utility, but half of the boot time is still taken by BIOS and just the other half is OS boot (ubuntu) (totally approx. 45 secs.)
  12. Benoe

Benoe Member

Ratings:
    +5
    This could be useful when we are testing modified BIOS: link
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. tezza77

tezza77 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Wow, this little box has generated so many posts :)

Mine was delivered yesterday but im waiting on drives memory and cables before I can do anything with. I bought the icy dock caddy with the 3.5" and 2.5" bays.

I have one question, I assume I can boot from the eSata port? I hope so, then I wont have to put any hacked firmware on it.

Seems like most people are using this box with a dedicated nas/raid package such as unRaid, freeNas or WHS. Personally I’ll be slapping Debian on it and doing my own raid with mdadm and lvm and probably a copy of plex or something similar. Should be a nice little box with 4g ram and 6 drives :)
  14. BritBrat

BritBrat Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I would be interested in the BIOS, I think I put an older hacked version on mine and avoided the later russian version.
  15. jerrymac

jerrymac Member

Ratings:
    +29
    @TheBay: Please post the link when you have a release, thanks.
  16. socistep

socistep Member

Ratings:
    +29
    Setup is going well for my server, not had a lot of time recently so doing bits and pieces where I can, so far

- set up and installed optical drive/HDD drive
    - Installed OS - vortexbox which is a flavour of fedora linux designed for squeeezebox/media
    - Transferred music over, got the rest of data to transfer this evening

Hopefully over the weekend I'll set up all the little jobs on the server, configuring squeezebox, backup jobs etc.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. TheBay

TheBay Member

Ratings:
    +146
    File uploaded to my bios thread.
  18. dga

dga Member

Ratings:
    +19
    I'm stuck regarding which RAID controller to go for. I have an option of the HP P410 with 512MB + BBU or an LSI 8344 with 128MB for half the price.

I'm looking to offload RAID 5 onto a controller to free up some heavy write cycles. The task are SABnzbd, so during the unpack phase everything ramps up.

So which one is the more cost effective? It's only for 4x 2TB 5K3000s

EDIT: NVM, I bought the P410 based on the idea of installing ESXi. Chris Mason, please hurry up and get btrfsck stable so you can work on RAID 5 implementation, ZFS (and ext4 on RAID5) Linux sucks :-(
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  19. jra

jra Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Everything is running fine with the Server streaming Squeezebox.

I see the £100 cashback has been extended another month.

Can I ask 2 questions please?

1. I would like to put the Server distant to my other PCs in a part of the house not easily accessed, in case of burglary. The problem would then be switching it on. Does FreeNAS supprt the microsever's Wake on LAN function, and if so how do I access it? I cannot find it in the FreeNAS directories.

2. I put in a previously used NTFS formatted drive and all appears to be working fine. this appeals as I have a "hot swap" hard drive bay in my main PC and it would be great if the drive had a format compatible with my Windows-based computers. Am I going to have problems : definitely, maybe? If there is data corruption will it be obvious, or can it be happening without me knowing?

The reason I am asking now is that with the continuing low price I could always buy a 2nd server and use Windows Home Server, which I guess would support Wake on LAN and NTFS format?
    Thank you!
  20. BritBrat

BritBrat Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Link Here
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  21. Tidy_Sammy

Tidy_Sammy Member

Ratings:
    +133
    I have a Micro on the way with 2x2TB Hitachi's, going to run unRAID with it, it's for storing all my Blu Ray MKV's which my 2011 Mac Mini will play, I've never had a server or a NAS before, I take it I connect it to my Mini via Gigabit Ethernet right? (Which I don't even think my o2 Router has), in which case what's a good Router to go for? I I'm meant to use Cat5e cabling right? Would like Wireless N and whatever connection is needed to get the most out of this.
  22. 2010

2010 Member

Ratings:
    +55
    Has anyone installed a DVB-S2 and a graphics card in the microserver? I would buy one of these if I can use it as a TV server for WMC/DVBlink/Argus/XBMC using WHS2011 but I'm not sure if there is enough physical space for the sat card or enough processor oomph.

Anyone with experience I would be grateful to hear your findings.
  23. dga

dga Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Buy a gigabit switch and connect all your gigabit equipment to it, attach one port of the routers LAN to a free port on the gigabit switch. Should cost around £30 for a 5 port switch, I'm not going to suggest one though.
  24. Tidy_Sammy

Tidy_Sammy Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Thanks. So I can't just upgrade router? As I was wanting a new router anyway, and only 1 computer will be accessing the server.
  25. dga

dga Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Well you could but if you are happy with the router I don't see the point. Plus, I feel you will get a better quality switch when you choose an external one.
  26. Tidy_Sammy

Tidy_Sammy Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Giving router to my mother so will probs go router but will research your method :)
  27. dga

dga Member

Ratings:
    +19
    This is getting a little off topic but I'll just say that your WAN link is slow and the LAN side fast. By separating the gigabit network from the 100mbit router LAN side will be better for the whole system. Be careful not to saturate the 100mbit side by connecting all cabled Ethernet devices to the gigabit switch, your wireless will not be affected.
  28. sparkie1984

sparkie1984 Active Member

Ratings:
    +747
    well I never heard back about my cash back so guess I have missed out :(
  29. dga

dga Member

Ratings:
    +19
    I've just tried to search back through my emails to find the conformation. Can anyone pass on the from address please?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  30. Tidy_Sammy

Tidy_Sammy Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Yes very true, thanks for your help so far I'll make a thread on it so as to not sidetrack.