how to use wdtv live hub as nas for sonos

timmymacg

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Ive recently got myself a wdtv live hub and I would like to put all my music on it and use it as a nas for my sonos... Mainly so I don't have to have my computer on when listening to music. Any ideas on how to do this? Thanks for any help!

You'd need to configure the WD so it's offering a shared drive which can be seen by the Sonos. The address would be like \\server\sharename in the Sonos setup. The share would need to be using SMB/CIFS protocol, provided by the 'Samba' server, not NFS which Linux uses.

Last edited:
Im pretty new to this sort of stuff sorry... How exactly do i do this?

No idea :) It will need the 'Samba' server running, you can google "Samba WDTV live" and see what others have done. Or you may get some help by calling Sonos Support direct, they are very good with post-sales set-up queries.

Last edited:
I'm assuming the WDTV Live is hardwired to your LAN.

Run the WD Discovery software that came with your WDTV Live, or download the latest version from the WD site, to make sure the WD is sharing. Once you can see your shares on a Windows PC, drop some music files onto the WDTV shares which appear as a network drive, and/or as a mapped share on the PC.
What operating system are you running on your PC just now?

I can't help with the Sonos end, but I can help you get the WDTV sharing. Some of the Sonos regulars might chip in and help out with that aspect.

NB are you running modified firmware such as B-rad?

Edit...Arrgh, just noticed you have the Live Hub, I have its wee brother the Live. The above instructions should be valid and still help you share, but if you come against a wall, it may be worth posting over on the general media streaming forum.
http://www.avforums.com/forums/streamers-network-media-players/

Last edited:
I'm actually running mac snow leopard but I think I may have got it to work thanks... Hopefully! Looks like I just needed to have all the sharing options on the hub and get the sonos to look for \\wdtvlivehub\wdtvlivehub

Great stuff Timmy, its good to know that the Hub can do this as well as its wee brother. For anyone else, a modified (B-rad) WDTV Live can also definitely do this (act as a NAS for Sonos users) as I fiddled with mine last night to check a few things out.
Happy to help.:)

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom