Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to SIM Unlock iPad2 ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bym007, Feb 2, 2012.

1. bym007

bym007 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53
    Hi all,

I have got an Orange iPad2 on 24 months contracts. I am going on holiday for a month :rotfl: soon, and been informed that my iPad and iPhone are both locked to Orange network (cant verify this).

How can I unlock them both possibly before I fly away? Many thanks.
  2. Azzin

Azzin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,078
    Before you do anything else, why not just stick another SIM in it?

Just walk into an 02/Vodafone/3 store, walk out with a free PAYG SIM then put it in your iPad to see if it works.

Alternatively, just take the iPad in, say you're thinking of getting an iPad SIM from them and ask them to stick one in it so you can see what kind of signal you get on it. :smashin:

I also don't think iPads are SIM locked anyway....

[Edit] - I think only Orange can unlock your phone, but have a read in here for more: http://www.avforums.com/forums/iphone-jailbreaking-unlocking-customisation/
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  3. bym007

bym007 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53
    I will probably visit a store tomorrow to see if I can try another network micro SIM card in it.
    Thanks.
  4. bym007

bym007 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53
    Update: Just tried a 3 Micro SIM in it, and it says SIM Failure.
    So does that mean my (wife's :)) orange Tablet will only work with orange microSIM cards. Anyone knows how to get this unlocked?
  5. Stiggy

Stiggy Active Member

Ratings:
    +657
  6. JazzG

JazzG Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Need to get in contact with Orange who can unlock it for you. Might charge you though, I bought an iPad from here which was locked to Vodafone and bought a PAYG sim and paid £20 to have it unlocked.
  7. bym007

bym007 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53
    I realised that Orange are the correct people to unlock it, however, they might not be willing to unlock it as its a new contract.

However, there are loads of sellers on eBay (with half decent feedback) unlocking iPhones and iPads locked to specific networks. Rumor has it that these sellers work (or know someone who works) for the network and request the unlock from Apple direct at work :). Hence its always guaranted to work as long as they get given IMEI codes and is a life long unlock.

They charge in the region of £25 for iPhones and £35 for iPads. So not exactly a cheap service.

It documented all over the internet that Vodafone, T-Mobile and Orange are the only networks in the world to sell locked iPads...
  8. JazzG

JazzG Member

Ratings:
    +18
    I don't think they will kick up a fuss, I have never heard of them being unwilling to do so. I know O2 used unlock iPhones for free if they are in a contract! If you want to be more careful just buy an Orange PAYG and put £20 in it and tell them to unlock it but I don't even see the need for that just ring them up and see what they say.

I wouldn't even bother looking at those ebay options.
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  9. Stiggy

Stiggy Active Member

Ratings:
    +657
    I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

Lots of people who get their iPhones unofficially unlocked have all sorts of problems later doing iOS upgrades etc.
  10. usenetz

usenetz Member

Ratings:
    +109
    Three sell locked iPads.
  11. bym007

bym007 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53
    Spoke to Orange last night, and they informed me that Orange will take atleast 30 days to unlock the iPad or iPhone, as they use some complicated algorithm to check that the devices are not lost or stolen..

No, I made up the last part myself... but the 1st part is true....
  12. JazzG

JazzG Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Has it been unlocked yet?