Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to shorten projector throw

Discussion in 'Projectors' started by GRANT, Oct 11, 2011.

1. GRANT

GRANT Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I have just installed a projector on a shelf above my sofa and a screen above my TV.

The problem is the zoom adjustment on the projector will not zoom out quite far enough to fit on the screen.

Now, i know you are all thinking "move the projector closer to the screen!!!" but this is not an option unfortunately.

Has anyone ever heard of using a lens to shorten the throw?
  2. reevesy

reevesy Active Member

Ratings:
    +270
    well i think some projectors can have different lenses fitted but this is expensive
    ...sorry but it sounds like you've either got to move the pj or buy a different size screen to fit your current pj's position

cheers.
  3. kbfern

kbfern Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,032
    You need to move it back to get a larger image not closer.What pj is it what size screen do you have.How much to small is the image for the screen.

Sometimes in the menu there may be some way to increase the image by an inch or two.My pj (Optoma HD20) has a thing called edge mask that enables this to be done.

If your pj does not have this type of function as reevsey has said a smaller screen looks like your only option other than painting a wider black bar on the screen to fit the image size.
  4. PrincessFrosty

PrincessFrosty Member

Ratings:
    +19
    There are a few options, none are particularly elegant.

You can buy and fit another lens over your current one but that will mean a tailored mount for your projector, or you can use a mirror to extend the throw distance, either way the quality of the materials lens/mirror will affect the quality of the final image.

Ideally you need to check the throw distances and angles of the zoom on the projector before you buy it, to ensure you can get the screen size you want with the throw distance you have.