how to set up magic eye?

sv1984

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I got a sky plus box downstairs, i got a cable from sky to upstairs in my bedroom where i can watch exactly whats on downstairs. They cant change tv just watch whatever is beeing watched.

I bought a magic eye stuff lately and tried plugging it into my tv upstairs then on the UF socket plug the wire that comes from downstairs.

THier was no success with this

Do i have to set my remote or anything ?

go into services mate. Ignore the screen and on your handset press 4,0,1 SELECT. From here you can switch on the rf output power. Then your magic eye should be working in your bedroom.

I have plugged it in... and can now see picture upstairs...i connected the eye to the tv direct then the other end has the cable from the sky plus box...

I can see the picture but when i point the control to the magic eye i cant seem to change channels..thiers no response cant press no button...i can change my tv channel but just not sky channels.

any ideas...

i have turned on the rf out put..,it was on from before actualy with chanel set to 68

I can see the picture but when i point the control to the magic eye i cant seem to change channels..thiers no response cant press no button...i can change my tv channel but just not sky channels.

Hi sundeepvarsani, don't know if I can help, as I'm not sure what 'magic eye stuff' you have and I don't have any cable going through upstairs (if that's what you have?).

I have sky box downstairs and as I wanted sky upstairs, I bought a 'Digisender' - one unit is plugged downstairs with scart into sky box and the other unit upstairs - scart into tv.

The magic eye from downstairs unit is placed on front of my sky box. I had a problem at first as I could not change sky channels upstairs! That was until I got the magic eye placed in the right place on sky box! It has to be placed in the right spot - I had to go up and downstairs (moving the magic eye slightly everytime on sky box) quite a few times, but in the end it worked!

It works beautifully - great unit :smashin:

I hope this helps - not sure if this is similar to yours?!

Is the little light on the Eye when it is plugged in to the up stairs cable?

Does it come on if you plug it directly into the back of the SKy Receiver?

Have you made sure you are connected to the RF2 output of the sky box?

If the red led comes on when connected to the receiver but not at the second tv then your wall socket is blocking the power. You need a DC Passing (or Non Isolated), Screened Socket.

Chris

vex - the light ids lit on the magic eye...and its connected in thr RF2 output of my box...still not working...

cymraes - i can try that but first i want to get this magic eye working if possible...

vex - the light ids lit on the magic eye...and its connected in thr RF2 output of my box...still not working...

cymraes - i can try that but first i want to get this magic eye working if possible...

What I'm trying to explain is, that although I had a picture (same as downstairs) I could not change the channel - the light of magic eye was on. Sorry if I'm not understanding correctly.

Another thing - is the code of the remote control your using (in conjunction with the digisender) correct with your tv upstairs to change channel with sky?

yehh it can be the code...you know where i can find the code...

my upstairs n downstairs tv are both sony...i can change volume on both tvs change channels. But my upstairs tv i just cant seem to change the sky plus channels through the magic yey...is thier some code for that too?

my upstairs n downstairs tv are both sony...i can change volume on both tvs change channels. But my upstairs tv i just cant seem to change the sky plus channels through the magic yey...is thier some code for that too?

No code with my DIGISENDER. If you can change the sound volume the remote is probably fine.

Have you stuck your magic eye on your sky+ box downstairs? The problem I had was the same - upstairs I could get the sky channel but could not CHANGE the channel - I could change volume just like you.

The problem was that the magic eye, although I had stuck it onto the sky box, I needed to move it - even if it was a millimetre - until I could change the channel upstairs. I had to go up and downstairs a few times before I had found the exact right place for the magic eye on the sky box to get it to change channel upstairs!

CYMRAES said:
No code with my DIGISENDER. If you can change the sound volume the remote is probably fine.

Have you stuck your magic eye on your sky+ box downstairs? The problem I had was the same - upstairs I could get the sky channel but could not CHANGE the channel - I could change volume just like you.

The problem was that the magic eye, although I had stuck it onto the sky box, I needed to move it - even if it was a millimetre - until I could change the channel upstairs. I had to go up and downstairs a few times before I had found the exact right place for the magic eye on the sky box to get it to change channel upstairs!

I have tried connecting it to my box downstairs and nah it never worked.

does that mean its faulty

If you haven't connected it to your box downstairs because it doesn't work, how do you expect anything to happen upstairs???

I'm confused now - with a digisender you have an unit for your main tv with the magic eye on your sky box, and an unit for upstairs and connected to your second tv right? The magic eye is placed on the sky box downstairs to send message to your second tv upstairs. You have to have the main unit and magic eye set up downstairs before anything will happen!

Have I missed something here?

Cymraes, I think you are getting it slightly confused. With a digisender you have to line up a infrared sender with the reciever on the sky box. With a magic eye, you just plug it directly into rf2 on the back of the box and all the channel changing info is sent over the coaxial cable directly into the box so no setting up is required in terms of pointing the infrared transmitter at the front of the sky+ box.

Thanks for that antfish77 - I did say in my first posting that I didn't know what system he had and said that I had a digisender. He never stated that his system was different, and just wondered if I could help - I was wondering if it was different because he mentioned a cable.

Thaks for clearing it up, and sorry I wasn't of any help.

No worries mate, I realised what you were saying coz I had a digisender but could never get the bloody things working properly, could never get a decent picture from it. I think it was conflicting with my wireless network at home or something. Most strange.

Yep, It does sound like either the eye or the RF2 output is faulty.

Out of interest, does the red led still come on when connected directly to the RF2 outlet of your sky+ box.

One sudden thought, which remote are you using with it? Your Sky+ one?

If you are not using a sky+ one then that is the problem, Sky+ remotes work on a different code set to the original Sky version, they will not work together.

Chris

sundeepvarsani said:

vex - when i connect the magic eye direct to the box the red light comes on...but cant change channels...and im using the sky plus control the same one as i use for my everyday sky plus usage so cant be fault with control

also in the installers menu the channel number is 68 and rf output turned on is that correct ?

sundeepvarsani said:
vex - when i connect the magic eye direct to the box the red light comes on...but cant change channels...and im using the sky plus control the same one as i use for my everyday sky plus usage so cant be fault with control

In that case either the TVlink or your digibox is faulty.

can i call sky and tell them i bought a magic eye from somewhere and i am having difficulty in setting it up..and think my box is at fault or will they say
no to this ? it is under guarantee..

sundeepvarsani said:
can i call sky and tell them i bought a magic eye from somewhere and i am having difficulty in setting it up..and think my box is at fault or will they say
no to this ? it is under guarantee..

As they didn't supply the magic eye I doubt they'd do a free call-out for that..their usual call-out is £65.
Why don't you try the TVlink on another digibox...a friends/neighbours...that way you'd know for sure if it's faulty.

FWIW I had my magic eye working perfectly when all of a sudden I couldn't change channel on the second tv. Bought new magic eye off Ebay for £3.50 but still didn't work. Phoned Sky explained RF2 was activated and red light was on but remote didn't work. Sky said fault lay with RF output and engineer would call. This was on friday. By monday engineer had called, replaced Sky+ box which had faulty RF output also replaced magic eye which wasn't faulty. All for free. Well done Sky and thats not said very often.:thumbsup:

i bought a magic eye ages ago and have set it up like they say but when on my sky box it says to go into services and press 4.0.1 it dont do anything it goes to 4 then stop then pressing the 1 after 0 just takes me on to "using sky+" its very annoying im needing help can anyone help im losing it with it and begining to give up!!!!!!

nop got it off ebay lyk a yr ago bt came with no intructions, bt my dad has jst a sky box nae + lyk me n asked him to do the services 4,0,1 n he says it dont wrk either

nop got it off ebay lyk a yr ago bt came with no intructions, bt my dad has jst a sky box nae + lyk me n asked him to do the services 4,0,1 n he says it dont wrk either

Please repost this in English and less of the "txt speak"

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom