Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to play rmvb and mkv movies on LG smart TV (LM6700)

Discussion in 'TV Technology: Smart TV, 3D, Ultra HD, 4K' started by sleepybird, Dec 11, 2012.

1. sleepybird

sleepybird Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,
    How can I play rmvb and mkv movies files on LG my 55LM6700 LG smart TVs? I tried PLEX but no luck. I put the movies on USB but they're not being recognized at all. Please help! Thanks.
  2. next010

next010 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,795
    The LM6700 is pretty new it should play H.264/MKV files.

RMVB though it wont play.

It also wont play any other type of MKV files like ones generated by MakeMKV that have Blu-ray video streams present in them, the LG cant handle that type of video.

Try Mezzmo or Serviio as the DLNA servers on a PC, either of those should transcode incompatible video if the LG profile is applied to the IP of the TV in their respective control panels.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. sleepybird

sleepybird Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the information. I will try tomorrow and get back.
  4. sleepybird

sleepybird Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I tried Serviio the free version. Does not seem to be able to stream mkv.
    You're right, I am able to play certain mkv files but not others.
    How can I tell if a mkv file is H.264 before I download?
  5. next010

next010 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,795
    Serviio does stream mkv most definitely so it is most likely your TV can only handle certain H.264/MKV files.

If by chance you have 10-bit H.264/MKV files then those will never play, no hardware platform supports 10-bit videos only 8-bit.

Use MediaInfo to tell the codec type, there should be a LG profile in Serviio control panel, if it's using generic DLNA profile then it wont transcode.
  6. sleepybird

sleepybird Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. Let me make sure I'm doing this correctly.

Under Serviio console (ver 1.0.1):
    Under Status tab: I see several IP addresses/Device Names/Profile. Couple of them shows device name/profile as "LG TV/player"
    Under Transcoding tab: I checked "Enable transcoding"

To play the mkv movies, I should go to my LG TV/SmartShare/Serviio and browse to the mkv movie? If I don't see the movie, that means it cannot be played?

Are the steps correct or am I missing something?

Thanks.
  7. next010

next010 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,795
    No thats correct, for some reason I guess Serviio isnt scanning the folders you added in ?

Is the blue circle ticked on the paths you added that tells serviio to refresh the folder and there is a manual button to rescan your media library.

If you still get nowhere try asking on the Serviio forums as to whats going wrong or check Mezzmo as an alternative DLNA server, it's one of the best commercial servers.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Nil Einne

Nil Einne Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for the necro but just wanted to mention I have a LG LM6410 which is a lower end model (the 10 is for NZ/AU) and it does sort of work with 10 bit encodes at least from external HDs. I say 'sort of' since you get some blocking errors and the colour is also off/wrong after changing scene for a while (or the whole scene depending on how long it lasts). Sadly this is better than I've achieved from my old computer which is fine with 8 bit encodes even high bit rate 1080P ones but doesn't seem to be able 10 bit with any player I've tried so far, too slow. I have a new PVR under construction but I'm having unexpected memory errors so it's taking longer than expected.

I suspect the problem is not fixable with a firmware update. I believe my TV is a 2012 model, I wonder if the 2013 ones are going to final be able to handle 10 bit encodes?
  9. mrsflinty4

mrsflinty4 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    if you download divx player and add it will show up to be added to connected devices on smartshare list add it and you will have no problems playing files on tv xx
  10. next010

next010 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,795
    There will never be support for H.264 10-bit encodes it's too niche.

However when H.265 support starts appearing that might resolve the issue as 10-bit is part of default H.265 spec not some obscure part of the spec meant for video production like H.264. At least thats what I've heard, may not turn out that way but those producing 10-bit H.264 are very likely to jump ship to H.256 anyway.
  11. Victorpenha

Victorpenha New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys, i have one LG too, and i tried with Windows media player. But the player dont reconise mkv as video ... so i cound't play on my tv. BUT reconise m2ts, so i did rename the mkv for m2ts, and now works great... since mkv and m2ts are the same thing.

Hope that helps you! =)
  12. next010

next010 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,795
    Just use Serviio, TVMobili or Mezzmo.

Windows media player forces transcoding of video as mkv and m2ts are not the same thing, the rename and transcoding is not necessary with the above servers.