Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Open NAT type for PlayStation 3 (PS3) Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 (COD MW3)?

Discussion in 'PS3 Forum' started by nicktech, Nov 9, 2011.

?

Modern Warfare 3 Players - What is your NAT type?

1. Strict

887 vote(s)
    62.8%
  2. Moderate

383 vote(s)
    27.1%
  3. Open

142 vote(s)
    10.1%
  1. nicktech

nicktech Member

Ratings:
    +4
    When I play Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 (COD MW3) on my PlayStation 3 (PS3) my friends cannot join my game as in game it says my NAT type is 'STRICT'.

Apparently there are 3 names - Strict / Moderate / Open (Strict & Moderate are basically the same thing!)

My internet service provider (ISP) is O2 and I use the O2 Wireless Box III (It says Wireless Box II on my router but O2 customer service assure me I have the 3rd one!?).
    Friends using TalkTalk and Orange broadband always have 'Open' NAT type and so I can join their games but they cannot join mine. (I can't host a game?)

In the game it suggests that I enable my uPnP in my router settings (via typing 192.168.1.254 in my browser's address bar, which I have done), but whether this is enabled or disabled it doesn't seem to make a difference...

I have read that the best way to ensure your NAT type is always open is to follow a lengthy procedure of creating a 'Static IP Address' for my PS3 and then 'forwarding ports'.

I have phoned O2 customer services and they can't advise anything!

What shall I do? Please help - I just want to be able to play with my friends when I want to!
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  2. Moolers

Moolers Member

Ratings:
    +149
    Give your PS3 a static IP and then go to your router settings and try to find the DMZ section, if it has one. Input your PS3 IP address and you should be okay after that.
  3. nicktech

nicktech Member

Ratings:
    +4
    How would you suggest to give my PS3 a static IP address though!? This is what I don't know how to do. Everyone seems to say something different!

I don't know if my router has a DMZ setting - haven't seen one!
    Input my PS3 address how/where?

I understand finding my IP address range and then picking a higher number in the range to use...
  4. Moolers

Moolers Member

Ratings:
    +149
    It's pretty easy, before you change anything make a note or take a picture of your network settings on the PS3, it will list your current IP address, DNS etc.
    Then set up your PS3 network settings manually and copy the details in as before but pick a different IP address higher up the range. I use 192.168.1.33 but it doesn't really matter what you pick just something that you can remember.

Most modern routers have an option to put a specific IP into a DMZ (in my case I have 192.168.1.33 in a DMZ) , this basically instructs the router to let ALL incoming and outgoing traffic to that specific IP travel unhindered. You'll need to log into your router and find the DMZ section and enter whatever IP that you have chosen for your PS3.

Hope that helps.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. nicktech

nicktech Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Ok i will have a look for my router dmz settings tonight!

I understand I have to do the router stuff before changing the ps3 settings?

If it is that easy I'll be amazed by your wisdom!
  6. Moolers

Moolers Member

Ratings:
    +149
    Shouldn't matter what order you do it the outcome will be the same....hopefully! Do you know the model number of your router?
  7. nicktech

nicktech Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Im not at home atm so all i know is its a wireless box 3!
  8. Moolers

Moolers Member

Ratings:
    +149
    Sorry I read your original post again and see that you have an o2 router. Not hopefull that it has a DMZ setting!!!:(
  9. nicktech

nicktech Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Oh ***! What about getting an aftermarket router? I dont mind paying ~£20 odd for the luxury!!
  10. Moolers

Moolers Member

Ratings:
    +149
  11. Moolers

Moolers Member

Ratings:
    +149
    That's what I'd do.
  12. Ben-H

Ben-H Active Member

Ratings:
    +510
  13. Kaden101

Kaden101 Member

Ratings:
    +159
    Not really MW3 related, but when I put my Linksys router into DMZ, it actually turns off NAT, which caused problems playing GT5 online as it requires NAT to be enabled. I ended up having to do the static IP, & port forwarding thing.

Just something to consider.
  14. Barry_

Barry_ Active Member

Ratings:
    +617
    Sometimes DMZ, port forwarding etc just won't work - next step is to try a decent router.

Sometimes the difference another router can make (inc DL & UL speed and reduced errors) from the routers the ISP's provide as crazy - but then other times its no different.

Either way - good luck sorting it out.
  15. nicktech

nicktech Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I'm thinking of buying a new router as the first step as I have read so many diff ways to create a static ISP and forward ports. My friend has actually bought 8 static IP addresses but I don't really understand it.

Plus I dont want to mess up my internet settings on my router for other things like other PCs in the house to start having problems because of what i have done... I heard if you create a static IP with your router it could make only your Ps3 able to connect to the internet...!?!?
  16. RottenFox

RottenFox Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,248
    Nah, any half decent linksys, for example will be able to deal with multlple connections.

For example, you could static the pc, ps3, laptop, 3ds, psp, ps3, Xperia Play, X10mini pro, ZTE Blade phones(That's a rough idea of all I have on my router)...something like 192.168.1.2, all the way up to 192.168.1.10, would allow all of them to connect with no problems, with no conflicts.

You need to have a static ip, open/forward the ports for PS3(here!), then go to portforward, pick your router, pick the game, in this case Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, and follow the easy instructions, or get someone who knows their way around a router.

Is your wireless box the model TG585n, by any chance, cause if it is , it's a Thomson TG585n.
    This is what you have to do, for the 02 version..there are a couple of others, just look for the Thomson, and the TG585n, version7 or 8 links on the portforward router list page, if it's different from yours
    (That is, if your's is that router., which is a 3, but says 2 on it)
    http://portforward.com/english/rout...G585v7-O2/Call_of_Duty_-_Modern_Warfare_3.htm
  17. zeroecho99

zeroecho99 Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Not to put a downer on all of this good info as it may well work for him but I'm having the same issues.

I'm with Karoo and have the Thomson wireless TG585 v7 router. PSN Nat type 2, UPNP available, PS3 in a DMZ, ports fowarded for MW3 as per Port Forward and I still get a Strict NAT type. The only bonus is that I can still play games and host them and people can connect.

Strange.
  18. nicktech

nicktech Member

Ratings:
    +4
    So what you're saying is you've done the whole procedure and even though it still says strict it works! Thats good enough!!!
  19. zeroecho99

zeroecho99 Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Does for me atm but not had chance to test it greatly.

Last night a friend connected to me for Spec Ops that I was hosting no probs and I had 3 rounds of Team Deathmatch without any probs.
  20. RottenFox

RottenFox Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,248
    Nat type 2, or strict..which is it?
    If you are wireless, then type 2 is normal..

You could always try a static ip outwith the DHCP range of your router, as well.
    As to DMZ and UPnP at the same time, either one or the other, as both together can cause conflicts.
  21. Moolers

Moolers Member

Ratings:
    +149
    Could be wrong but I think UPNP will come up as Not Available when the PS3 is in a DMZ.
  22. zeroecho99

zeroecho99 Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Sorry Nat type 2 on PSN yet whilst in MW3 it shows as Strict.

I've turned off UPNP on the router and still get Strict in MW3.

UPNP still shows as available on PS3 when in a DMZ as that's how mine is setup.
  23. mrcrm84

mrcrm84 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Guys a while back when Black ops came out I too had the strict NAT problem, until, after many hours of messing with my router settings I came across a post explaining how if you put MW2 into your PS3, load it up and enter into the multiplayer section (the part before entering a lobby) you should see that your NAT type is open, quit the game and eject the disc, now insert black ops and when you go to the multiplayer part you should see your NAT type as open!

I became a very happy man.....until...

After eagerly awaiting MW3 the same NAT problem returned.....

...HOWEVER, good news the same method as detailed above will work in exactly the same way for the new game!! (many smiley faces)

and so my friends you can once again play with all your friends

I hope this have been of some help to you and apologise if this has already been recommended in earlier posts but I couldnt be bothered to sift through them to see

If this has helped please add me online, my username is mrcrm84

Good Luck and happy shooting
  24. zeroecho99

zeroecho99 Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Success!

Finally got an Open NAT status.

For myself with a Thomson TG585 v7 wireless modem I changed my PS3 from having a static IP to automatic selection and disable UPNP. Went onto my router and disabled UPNP, opened the ports for MW3 as per Port Forward website, made sure I had the correct ports open for PSN and ensured my PS3 was in a DMZ. Tested PSN and it came back with no UPNP available and a NAT type 1. Went onto MW3 and hey presto I have an open Nat.

Whether or not this will work for everyone else is a different matter but it solved my problem.
  25. brad131987

brad131987 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i just got a new BT Home hub 3 today and my NAT type is open
    on the Home hub 1 it was always strict even when i changed the settings

Happy it works now