Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to increase your line's ping time - lag compensation

Discussion in 'Virgin Media Broadband' started by RedCap, Jan 16, 2012.

1. RedCap

RedCap Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, Is this possible without resorting to using much bandwidth? Some games resort to lag compensation and if I host I get **** on and, for the sake of my mental health, I would like to know if there is a decent countermeasure! I am on 50Mb and get very good ping times and my only solution to counter lag compensation is either to clog up my line with high bandwidth traffic or go back to using phone line and hope I don't screwed on still. The game in question is MW3 on the Xbox 360. I would post there but this is much busier and there may be solutions outside of the Xbox 360 that could help may be? Thanks a lot!
  2. LJx

LJx Active Member

Ratings:
    +369
    You probably don't get screwed as much as you think, most people who complain about this "lag comp" are just not as good as they think they are
  3. bigtruck

bigtruck Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,253
    Ouch.
  4. carl.waring

carl.waring Member

Ratings:
    +78
    LOL! So true. I use that excuse all the time ;):p:D
  5. RedCap

RedCap Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I know the difference between lag compensation and me being caught out. Like I approach a corner but not get round it yet and I get knifed, the killcam shows I'm turning round the corner and on my screen I haven't got there yet. I was very good at TF2 so I doubt whether it's me being **** on a game that has its fair share of underaged and not so good players. I never suffered with FPS that use dedicated servers. It's not in the publishers interest to make a hardcore game - it would not sell as many copies. Probably why chess isn't as popular as it would be. So how do I increase my ping time on the Xbox?
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  6. carl.waring

carl.waring Member

Ratings:
    +78
    You meant 'decrease' there, didn't you? ;)
  7. RedCap

RedCap Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Nope. I've read people have torrented through gaming on MW3 and it has improved their performance but I rather not that route because there is only minimal amount of legitimate freely available data I could download and it will mean deleting and redownloading when in a lobby waiting for the next match. I wouldn't mind so much if I played on FFA but I like team games so I don't want to be letting the side down. :/ While I was at university I had a phone connection and the lag was minimal and I assume the ping times would be greater there. Plus, I remember my ex-housemate got done by the lag on FIFA while I was downloading a file as he wasn't usually up at that time in the morning playing on my Xbox. I just don't understand why these two situations have different results regarding lag. I'd like to know why just out of interest tbh. If I could tell what my ping times are using the Xbox it would help me solve this issue.
  8. rio911

rio911 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi mate, I think you have everything backwards!!! Phoneline = low ping, no lag, no lag compensation. VM cable network = high ping, *hit loads of lag, lag compensation all the time.

I have been struggling with VM for the last year and have some idea of what I'm talking about. I'm just about to leave VM as contract is finally over and if you have the chance I would suggest you do the same.

Good gaming,
    rio

PS: I forgot to mention, about the downloading while online gaming: do you know what a lag switch is? That's what your friends are doing, downloading is a asynchronous process, which added on top of the higher lag connection gives them some advantage, not always and not every time.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  9. bulletmagnet

bulletmagnet Member

Ratings:
    +157
    try letting someone else host as you will be limited to there connection speeds aswell.
    50 meg should be more than ample for xbox live, have you tried battlefield 3 which uses dedicated servers to see if it happens on there?
  10. RedCap

RedCap Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like I phrased what it wrong. Replace low ping with a long ping time and a high ping with a fast ping time. My compulsory amount of 12 months is over. I just think if there's not much benefit in having cable for online gaming then I might as well go with Be or someone and get a cheaper provider as I seldom require the bandwidth. I am forbidden in using a lag switch as it is against Xbox rules. Found this a bit strange when players with super quick ping times are dished out artificial ping. Probably explains why some lobbies quit early because the host has the best connection and the rest of the players are overcompensated and he or she gets shot to pieces.
    I don't have a choice on who hosts and I doubt anyone would want to be host. I've not used BF3 for online multiplayer after I thought the campaign wasn't all that. I'll give a try some time. I've played on other shooters without problems and I'm not experiencing the same problem, I've played Halo and BF: BC2 round a friend's and did well when I played. I know people will have their best and worse shooters but the occasional really laggy game I've had, well, I've had better scores in my worse Halo game. And that is supposed to have more hardcore gamers from what I've been told so if I'm to be shot to **** on one shooter, it'd be Halo or something. :/
  11. drummerjohn

drummerjohn Member

Ratings:
    +170
    VMs latency is not good for gamers - it's too variable. It can vary from 13ms to 65ms. Variation is the problem for online gaming. It would be better if VM maintained a 30-32ms ping. They also need to fix their packet loss issues.

God help VM users when they increase their speeds.

My Bethere connection is a solid 18ms-20ms and the difference in online gaming is very noticeable.

I have both Be & VM 30MB by the way and run continual monitoring of the connections.
  12. rio911

rio911 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi drummerjohn,

Do you (can you) share your results for Be and VM connections? I'm looking for a comparison between VM cable and adsl provider, because I'm just about to leave VM and considering ADSL providers.

I use the TBB ping monitoring tool for my VM connection and it is not pretty:
    [​IMG]

rio
  13. rio911

rio911 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    That is fine, mistakes happen.

As I said, I'm currently leaving VM and going with a very nice offer from Sky. But I have also heard very good things about Be and was considering them as well as BT infinity, but sadly that is not available where I live.

I'm currently playing BF3 online and will consider getting MW3 only if I have a very, very good connection! I was really disappointed by the BlOps+VM combo and would never consider playing another p2p game on VM!

rio
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. drummerjohn

drummerjohn Member

Ratings:
    +170
    Bethere...

[​IMG]

VM...

[​IMG]

Can you spot the difference? :laugh:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. drummerjohn

drummerjohn Member

Ratings:
    +170
    I use a Draytek Vigor 2920 router. This allows me to use port 80 against VM, so I get fast downloads for normal HTTP traffic, and I use all other ports against Bethere for lower\solid latency gaming.
  16. RedCap

RedCap Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I used to get connection interrupted on Black Ops and sometimes I'd fall out of a lobby. Used to happen most of the time during the evenings. It doesn't happen any more but I don't think the problem has actually been solved judging from the Virgin forums. It was annoying because I really liked that game, and still do. The maps have less clutter and are more balanced on weapon usage I find. It's sometimes nice to move onto that game, or something completely different, because I'm stuck with everyone else who doesn't take down hostile air support.
  17. RedCap

RedCap Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've set up an account so I will post results in a few days time. I've been suggested to shove iPlayer HD and torrents down my connection but I don't see why that should be necessary.
  18. rio911

rio911 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Can you spot the similarities?

On my graph, you can clearly see the drop of connection at around 6pm on 17th Jan! And you have it on yours too!!!

On the other hand the Be graph is a beauty! If I get a similar graph on my new Sky connection, I'll be close to god on BF3! :thumbsup:

rio
  19. drummerjohn

drummerjohn Member

Ratings:
    +170
    Sky is similar, but not as bad as VM. I moved from Sky to VM end of last year. Sky typically ranged from 30ms to 55ms.

Sky has no traffic shaping either so whilst the download speed is not as fast as VM you can merrily download all day at the same speed (dependant on congestion of course).
  20. rio911

rio911 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    wow, if sky can't provide a ping in the range of 20 - 30, I'll definitely have to cancel. When I signed with them I saw that they have a 30 day cancellation policy, might have to look into that...:devil:

I would really like something similar to the Be graph that you showed me...
  21. RedCap

RedCap Member

Ratings:
    +0
    [​IMG]
    Here are my results so far. Is this, essentially, a BS connection? So even if a game has lag compensation there are chances I'd get screwed? Haven't yet played a game with a dedicated server but I'll give it a try. Thought about buying BF: BC2, despite having BF3, because if it's anything like CoD, I can progress quicker on the older games as the best players move to the next edition. I haven't had a problem with Black Ops though.
  22. rio911

rio911 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Looking at that graph, I would have to say that you have some serious and random problem with your connection!

First off: get on the phone to VM customer service and report the problem, also make sure that you do that while you are in the big blue spikes!!! Basically that will be when you have a problem with your connection and hopefully they can see it (if they can't see it on their end, it will be difficult to diagnose it). Get them to send an engineer to have a look at your line.

Since you are on 50mbps you probably have a SuperHub, log into that and have a look at your power levels. You can find a guide how to do that on the virgin website.

good luck,
    rio
  23. drummerjohn

drummerjohn Member

Ratings:
    +170
    As Rio states really. Be 100% sure though that you weren't downloading anything during those blue wipeout periods (5am to 11am being the worst).
  24. bigtruck

bigtruck Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,253
    Trying to get this tool to work, but I'm only getting all red & I can't acces my router for some reason

Edit - managed to access the router after a restart & set it to respond to ping on WAN, but still the same.

Edit edit - A second restart seemd to solve it. Will see what rsults it goves.
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  25. rio911

rio911 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Bigtruck,

Any luck getting the TBB monitor to work on your line? If you are still getting all red, you need to make sure that you remove/disable all port forwarding rules that you might have. Make sure that you create a copy of them first, because they can be tricky. Also if you have a DMZ enabled, you will need to remove that as well.

Hope this helps,
    rio
  26. bigtruck

bigtruck Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,253
    Hi rio

Thanks,yes, I eventually got into the router and changed it in DMZ to respond to ping on wan. It seemed to be tracking performance last night so I will check again tonight & see how it gets on during a spot of BF3:)
  27. RedCap

RedCap Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Update: [​IMG]
    Is this much better or does this mean I can get a different provider closer to the Be graph above? I had Be while at university and had no problems so I'll definitely consider them.
  28. rio911

rio911 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi bigtruck,

If you play on xbox, you can add me: ri0911.

Hi RedCap,

If you are getting any problems even on MW3 with this graph I would be surprised! Try it and see how it goes, but if you experience lag and the TBB monitor is not showing any spikes above 50ms I would have to say that the problem is not with your connection. :confused: Usually this means that you have someone in your lobby from a country far far away cough cough US cough.

After my experience with VM, I'm so sensitive to lag, that I monitor my TBB graph during games and can sense when the connection starts to go away from me. :thumbsdow
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  29. bigtruck

bigtruck Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,253
    Thanks Rio, but I play on pc:)

Here's my first attempt:
    [​IMG]

What do you think? Seems fairly consistent at least, good or bad.
    [​IMG]
  30. bigtruck

bigtruck Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,253
    This one shosw a fe hours of BF3 between roughly 8pm and 11:30pm:
    [​IMG]