Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get SKY in another room?

Discussion in 'Sky Forum' started by Shawkat, May 20, 2007.

1. Shawkat

Shawkat Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi everyone,

I am getting Sky installed this week in my lounge. I am also wanting to watch sky in my bedroom upstairs (not at the same time). What is the easiest way for me to do this?

Its going to be quite difficult to run cables between the 2 rooms and i cant afford to pay the extra £10 a month for multiroom. What would be the best thing to do? would the sky installation man run an extra feed up the outside of the house for me to the bedroom? from there i could buy an old sky box and use a sky freesat type card in it?
    Or should i wait for the installation in the lounge and then use video senders etc to watch it upstairs?

I also have one of those splitters in the attic to split the terrestrial aerial down to the lounge and bedroom - is it possible to wire the sky into that?

Any help or advice appreciated before the sky man comes.
    Kind Regards
    S
  2. Fugitivewolf6

Fugitivewolf6 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    you have a number of options...

if you are only getting sky and not sky+ then the 2nd box with freesat is out of the window unless you want to buy a quad lnb.

you can run the cable into the distribution amp in the loft, but you would also have to run the aerial lead direct into the skybox first, then feed back to loft..

you could try a sending unit, these wirelessly send the sky signal to a reciever upstairs.

the easiest option would be to a lead from rf2 out of the sky box, upstairs with a magic eye on the end, then you can watch sky upstairs and change the channel. but you can only watch the same sky program on both tvs.
  3. Shawkat

Shawkat Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,
    Thanks for the reply..

Yes getting Sky and not sky+
    Is fitting a quad LNB difficult? seen them for sale on Ebay...is this against sky rules etc? what would i need to do with this and would sky then supply me with a freesat card?

Would the installation man be willing to do all that for me?

S
  4. Fugitivewolf6

Fugitivewolf6 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    sky man will have quad on his van, may do for a small fee*cough*cash... otherwise once all installed, get a quad, swap it over, they just push in and pull out(small plastic peg to be removed) run a cable to bedroom and connect to box.. phone sky, ask for a freesat card (£20) then you can get freeview in your bedroom(not skysports news though) you wont get any of the package you have subscribed to though...
  5. Shawkat

Shawkat Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,
    Might ask the sky man and see what he says.....how much do you think is reasonable to supply the quad lnb and about 5 metres of cable and drill through outer wall? what do they do witht he cable on the inside of the property by the way? is there a plate screwed to the wall?
  6. Fugitivewolf6

Fugitivewolf6 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    plate on wall?? lol, this is sky... the wire will come in through a hole and go straight into the box! they should put a little cap on the inside to make it tidyish... my company would do the job for 78quid, so pay no more!!
  7. Shawkat

Shawkat Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Oh right...thanks for all that. Anything i should make sure the sky man does or doesnt do during the installation?
    S
  8. Fugitivewolf6

Fugitivewolf6 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    only one thing... when he drill holes for inside to out, tell him to go SLOWLY! otherwise they will blow the brick, and then you get a nice big plastic plate on the outside to hide the damage! Was once doing a 5 point link system when sky came, i took nearly 10 minutes to drill a hole and got it perfect, sky came along and blew half the brick off next to my hole!! Not all sky installers are like that, i must hasten to add!!!!! but some are ;)