Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get ingame sound into a headset?

Discussion in 'PS3 Forum' started by elim, Nov 9, 2008.

1. elim

elim Member

Ratings:
    +11
    ok so i have a usb headset connected to my ps3, and i know all you can get is voice sound

so is the only possible way to get ingame sound to plug your headphones into your tv?
  2. Darth_terra

Darth_terra Active Member

Ratings:
    +551
    Headsets are for voice chat only, there is not blue-tooth or USB capability for audio output if there were then in theory you could use them for what your asking, as it stands headphones, TV speakers or Sourround sound systems are the only way.
  3. elim

elim Member

Ratings:
    +11
    so ill need a normal headset that plugs into my tv?
  4. cols

cols Active Member

Ratings:
    +529
    a headset, ie mic and earphone for comms, has to be connected to the ps3 via bluetooth or usb. The only sound coming out of it will be other players talking.

If you want all the game sounds into earphones, you'll need headphones that plug into the tv. Obviously they can't be used for comms though!
  5. elim

elim Member

Ratings:
    +11
    i wish there was a usb to 3.5jack adapter invented lol
  6. cols

cols Active Member

Ratings:
    +529
    If you could somehow plug a headset into your tv, the game sounds would come out of the earphone perhaps, but you couldn't use it for comms, it wouldn't work, it's not connected to your ps3.
    If you could somehow connect headphones to the ps3 to where headsets connect, all you'd get in them, would be the other players talking.
    The sound output to the headset for comms and the general game sounds are only mixed together from the ps3 sound output when no headset is connected.

Ok so if i understand you correctly, you want to have headphones on, with all the game sounds in them (ie what comes out of tv speakers / surround system) but ALSO the other players talking, as well as be able to communicate into a mic yourself?

Easiest way mate would be to use the playstation eye- the mic will pick up your speech just as a headset would, and connects to the ps3 via usb. Then all the game sounds and other peoples comms are output through the tv speakers- you plug some headphones into your tv, job done! :smashin:
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  7. Jack-Deth

Jack-Deth Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,047
    Or, get the new Sony Official PS3 headset from Play or wherever, and you can leave it in its desk top charger and it acts as a mic stand and connect your headphones to your amp as normal.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. cols

cols Active Member

Ratings:
    +529
    ooh i didn't know it could do that as well, that's impressive... Yet another reason to get one! :thumbsup:
  9. Jack-Deth

Jack-Deth Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,047
    It's supposed to be such a good bit of kit! I've cancelled my socom order but have ordered my headset from play.com.
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  10. Digitalize

Digitalize New Member

Ratings:
    +41
    The Turtle Beach Headsets can be used like this, i cant remember the exact method, but it uses more than a few converters
  11. Rock Da Bass

Rock Da Bass Active Member

Ratings:
    +280
    I usually play at night so need to plug in headphones when the rest of the family have gone to bed. I've been holding off buying comms in the hope such a solution becomes available, ie headphones with comms all in one. There definately seems to be a market for it but not sure how technically feasible it is.

I don't really want a PS Eye or anything else that need semi-permanently plugged into the front USB ports (a couple of rear ports would have been nice Sony :rolleyes:)

Also, having the mike incorporated into the headphones would make talking into it more easier than talking across the room to the Eye.

RDB
  12. cols

cols Active Member

Ratings:
    +529
    Yeah i guess there's a market for it, but what i meant was that's the only way i can think of (that and using the official headset in the same way, as a standalone mic, as legion pointed out) to get that effect, of having all the in game sounds plus other people's comms in earphones, plus being able to communicate yourself through a mic. :smashin:

as someone already pointed out, the ps3's audio output isn't over bluetooth or usb, it's over hdmi, optical, scart, or av multi etc. The only way to get that sound into headphones is to plug them into the tv / surround system, or to connect them via 3.5mm to rca phono cable to the av multi cable. That won't allow for communication from the headphones to the ps3 though!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  13. AaronW

AaronW Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I have the Logic3 vertical stand. It puts a nice blue lit ring of colour around the bottom of the PS3 and has 2 USB ports at the back. You do have to power it of the from the front USB but you can hardly see it as the cable is short.
  14. cols

cols Active Member

Ratings:
    +529
    i thought of another way around this-

get a bluetooth headset / earpiece and pair it with the ps3.

Go into accessory settings, audio device settings, and select input device as your headset / earpiece, and output device as "system default device".

Now other people's comms are output from the tv with the game sounds, but your comms are input from the mic of the headset / earpiece.

So headphones plug into tv, have mic near you for picking up your voice, and that should work! :smashin:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. elim

elim Member

Ratings:
    +11
    yeah im thinking of doing the above

im getting the new headset
  16. bubs999

bubs999 Member

Ratings:
    +220
    Thats how I have mine setup. I can leave my blue tooth earpiece on the desk/lap/coffee table etc and still talk and hear everything through my headphones.
  17. Rock Da Bass

Rock Da Bass Active Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Thanks. Think that is closest we'll ever get with the PS3 to what I'm looking for. Basically the bluetooth headset would be working just as the microphone. Worth buying one to try out methinks.

RDB :)
  18. disney_cjd

disney_cjd Member

Ratings:
    +15
    how easy is it to do the voice talking thing?

I have a plantronics bluetooth headset and have paired it with my PS3 OK but I see no option on COD5 or FIFA 09 to use it to talk

How can I talk in games please?

Thanks all
  19. cols

cols Active Member

Ratings:
    +529
    Just pair it with the ps3 in accessory settings, select it as your audio input and output device, switch it on, you can then talk in cod4, fifa09, etc. In cod4 you'll see a little speaker next to your name in the lobbies.

Edit: i don't have cod waw but would expect it to have something similar.
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  20. Tigerblade

Tigerblade Active Member

Ratings:
    +602
    If your PS3 is stood vertically have you looked at the 4gamers stand? Has two rear usb ports(the base obviously has to plug into one of the front ones but it's hardly noticeable the way it is designed).

I just alternate between those now as and when I need to use stuff.
  21. bubs999

bubs999 Member

Ratings:
    +220
    Wouldn't a normal USB hub work? You can get loads more than 2 then. I may have to try it once I find the power adaptor for mine
  22. cols

cols Active Member

Ratings:
    +529
    I use a 4 port powered usb hub and it works a treat. Even charges my controllers when the ps3 is in standby. :smashin:
  23. CAS FAN

CAS FAN Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,034
    It seems that the Sharkoon X-Tatic Digital has a working mic function on the PS3. LINK
  24. Digitalize

Digitalize New Member

Ratings:
    +41
    It Seems no one listens :(

Ahwell, this is exactly what you are looking for.

Ear Force PX1
  25. CAS FAN

Ratings:
    +3,034
    They sound pretty good, don't think that they are 5.1 (unless i've missed it) but if that's not a concern then they should be fine.

Would be interested to know how the Sharkoon Digitals perform if anyone has tried them.
  26. Digitalize

Digitalize New Member

Ratings:
    +41
  27. CAS FAN

Ratings:
    +3,034
    Is there a PS3 version of that headset? If so then that's very tempting!

It's not cheap like you say, but it does sound like a great product. Good 5.1 headsets really do work quite well and if I upgraded then it would have to be to a 5.1 set.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  28. remdude

remdude Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

Desparate for a pair of these - any idea where I can get them from. I have googled but no success as yet.

Thanks for your help

REMDUDE:)
  29. CAS FAN

Ratings:
    +3,034
    I know what you mean mate, not been able to find them myself. Dark Planets sell them for £70, but they are out of stock. I'm guessing that they haven't been released over here yet so that any that come over are imported.

Could try fleabay.
  30. remdude

remdude Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Looked on fleabay - no luck. Only version 2 available.

I was thinking of these but there just to expensive..£150!!!

TRITTON Technologies, Inc. - TRIGA611 AXPRO

I may import the skarkoons if I can decipher the German website:)

REMDUDE