Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get freesat via my pc?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Internal Video Devices' started by too_funky, Oct 21, 2008.

1. too_funky

too_funky Member

Ratings:
    +47
    I'v been doing alot of reading around on this and have a few rough ideas, but i would just like some help with comfiriming what iv found out. I currently use Windows Media Centre with vista as a dvd library, however i would also like to get some decent qaulity tv thorugh it aswell, preferably hd. There is no freeview reception where i live so appart from subscription services im gonna have to go with freesat. Freesat boxes are a bit out of my price range at the moment so im going to use my pc instead. I'v already found and installed all the necessary WMC TV Pack 2008 and patches etc. So now i was wandering whats the best way to get freesat.
    I already have a sky dish pre fitted but the subscription is due to run out soon. I would ideally like the ability to record and watch something else at the same time. Now iv read ill need 2 tuners for this. Now i have a few points to clarify:

1. Does that mean i need to buy 2 seperate pci cards, or is it possible to buy a sigle card with dual tuner capabilities?

2. Do i need a seperate cable running from my dish to each tuner to be able to watch and record at the same time or can i just get some sort of splitter or something?

3. Is it possible to upgrade/replace the LNB on a dish without having to buy a new dish?

4. Would i need a special cable from my satellite to recieve freesat hd channels and is there lmit to how long the cable can be before there is a drop in signal stregth or quality?

5. Are DVB-S2 standards backwards compatible with channels currently broadcast in DVB-S?

6. Finally iv heard good things about:
    Hauppauge WinTV-NOVA-HD-S2 | Graphics cards | Reviews | Custom PC
    Can anybody reccomend a good value hd freesat tuner, possibly one that can dual tune, providing this is possible.

Sorry for all the questions. i realise its alot to ask in one thread but it would massively appreciated if somebody could answer at least one of them,

Thanks alot.
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  2. luke90

luke90 Member

Ratings:
    +41
    hi too funky.

i believe that because satellite is a digital service and not analogue the length of the cable should not alter quality.

:)
  3. tommygunn

tommygunn Member

Ratings:
    +25
    im in exactly the same predicament my friend. just to try and help....

the two tuners thing is correct but maybe there is a twin tuning dvb-s2 card out there but i'm yet to see one?

i believe you do need 2 cables to each tuner. length of the cable wont matter but you do need "f connectors" which are like the ones on the sky cable. if your sky subscription is running out i see no reason why you couldnt just use the existing sky cable when this happens.

u can use your existing sky dish and lnb which was a result for me!!!

i opted for that hauppauge card too just waiting for it to arrive so ill let you know....

hope this helped :hiya:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. too_funky

too_funky Member

Ratings:
    +47
    thanks alot im gonna look around for some good prices on that hauppauge card, ill think ill wait for your verdict on whether its any good or not before actually buying one though. Thats great i can use the sky dish for freesat, but i have one more quick question. I only had sky, not sky plus, so does that mean the LNB on the dish will only have one connector, or do sky optimisticly fit them with an LNB with more than one connector in the hope you might upgrade to sky plus or multiroom.

Basicly will i need to upgrade the LNB on the dish so i can record and watch at the same time?
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  5. tommygunn

tommygunn Member

Ratings:
    +25
    well i got sky+ and it has a quad lnb but only using two of the outputs so i guess they do future proof their systems for further connections....best way if you can? go have a look outside at your dish and look at the bottom of the lnb, thats what i did.

incidently i got an email from ebuyer tonight.....the hauppauge card is out of stock so i may be waiting a bit longer so watch this space. :smashin:
  6. aggallim

aggallim Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I had to upgrade my LNB to a quad (after first foolishly trying to split the signal), bought one off ebay for £10 along with 'shotgun' twin cable which I ran myself from the dish to the back of my TV, its not too hard or expensive.
  7. guppy02

guppy02 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I’m in the same situation as you guys at the moment. My brother was kind enough to lend me a cheap satellite card to make sure i could receive the channels.

I have tested and managed to pick up most the channels and some subscription channels. Only problem is i seem to be missing a lot of channels that should be on freesat. I noticed channel 4 channels are missing and some of the film channels.

I only received the BBC HD channel which worked on an DVB-S socket.

I wish i did what tommygunn said and check the LNB first. I have bought a cheap LNB on ebay for £10 just in case. I cant see the LNB right well.

Has any one managed to get freesat channels to work on a PCI card????
  8. Joneb

Joneb Member

Ratings:
    +1
    When I was investigating into freesat on a pc I was told it couldnt be done as it is controlled by sky and encoded just like sky is. Now you guys are saying it can be done? Im confused.
  9. too_funky

too_funky Member

Ratings:
    +47
    Freesat is a completely different service to Sky. Sky offer a subscription only service which you must pay for. Therefore Sky encode/encrypt their channels to prevent anybody with a sattelite being able to pick them up for free. Freesat on the other hand is completely free (hence the name 'FREE'-sat). Think of is as the same as Freeview, but instead of receiving the channels via an arial, you recieve them via sattelite. You get almost exactly the same channels on freesat as with Freeview. The adavantages of Freesat over Freeview is that you can also recieve the free high definition channels (such as BBC HD, Channel 4 HD etc) and Freesat is also avaliable in places where freeview isnt.
  10. Joneb

Joneb Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Will freesat play HD to my monitor/TV via the vga cable as my TVs DVI connection doesnt work ( a long story centred around bad service from Ebuyer)?
  11. Curly99

Curly99 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,058
    Why don't you recommend Ebuyer?

Curly
  12. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley Member

Ratings:
    +185
    Its much more confused than that ;)
    Sky offer FREESAT, ~240 free channels that probably need a Sky box to receive.
    Meanwhile FreeSat has a slowly (should that be glacially?) growing roster of free channels, receivable with any DVB-S tuner including PC tuners.

If you want FREESAT call Sky. For FreeSat just aim and tune ;)
  13. mossym

mossym Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,487
    channel 4 aren't on freesat?

but they can get gotten fta
  14. antraf1982

antraf1982 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

It is most definitely something for confusion that Sky call their service FREESAT too but in actual fact they are all the same transmissions. The Astra satellite cluster uses approximately 25 transponders of which about 15 are currently being rebranded as the new Freesat service. This is because they are unencoded channels. Channel 4 has recently gone FTA (Free To Air) ahead of the 2009 contract termination although I believe Channel 4 on Sky is still a different encoded broadcast. Sky uses exactly the same channels for its FTA services just controlled by its own EPG etc. The only channel I believe that is still FTV (Free to View - meaning you can watch it with an unsubscribed skycard ie Sky FREESAT but it is encoded) is Channel 5 due to end Summer 2009 (so you dont get that on new Freesat without Skybox).

As for View and Record - Unlike Sky which only allows recording (access) of 2 channels - most DVB software allows you to record 2 transponders because actually if u select a channel the DVB signal being received contains all of the channels on that transponder so the computer can record any or all of them. (For software that can do that I use DVBViewer www.dvbviewer.com). If, however, you want something on a different transponder you will need another card, running on a seperate cable, running to a seperate point on a minimum dual - common sense quad LNB on the dish.

For dvb cards I have 3 one external USB and 2 internal PCI and they are all technotrend purchased here at about 75 euro:

TechnoTrend Budget S2-3200 HDTV-S2 inkl. Fernbed. + TT-Viewer - DVBSHOP - Technotrend, Kathrein, Shop, DVB-S, DVB-C, DVB-T, HDTV, H.264, DVB-S2

TechnoTrend Connect S2-3600 HDTV-S2 USB inkl. TT-Viewer - DVBSHOP - Technotrend, Kathrein, Shop, DVB-S, DVB-C, DVB-T, HDTV, H.264, DVB-S2

I know with the pound price falling the euro deals arent quite as good now - but still reasonable.

Hope all that helps.

Ant
  15. mossym

mossym Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,487
    you may want to do a rescan. channel 5 is now FTA, but not available on Freesat
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  16. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley Member

Ratings:
    +185
    ...but will be on the 18th ;)
  17. guppy02

guppy02 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok I got a cheap sky box on eBay i have freesat without a card now :)

However you cant receive channel 4 or any channel 5 channels. I read into it and those channels are still encrypted on sky. However all the other channels work fine. Sky want £20 so i can have a card to receive channel 4 and 5.

My PC DVB-S card detects channel 4 however its locked. I thought this channel was supposed to be received on ITV/BBC freesat.

Can anyone tell me if Freesat channels are all available on a PC card. I can pick most channels up but some are still encrypted!

Im planning on buying this and some website state its freesat compatible!
    Hauppauge Computer Works Ltd : WinTV-HVR-3000

Has any one managed to get this setup yet?