1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to fit 2.5" SSD into 3.5" desktop bay?

Discussion in 'Hard Disks & Memory' started by dts197, Jan 30, 2010.

1. dts197

dts197 Member

Ratings:
    +310
    I've searched on here and the net and not found anything definitive. There must be plenty of people on here now that are using 2.5" SSD's in their dektops, so how are you fitting them?

I've not yet decided on the SSD yet, possibly the Intel X25M or maybe one of the 60gb ones from OCZ.

I found this from Scan:

Scan.co.uk: Lycom DT-112 Metal Frame Mounting to Convert a Single or Dual 2.5" Drives into a 3.5 Bay

And also this from Maplin:

2.5 to 3.5 HDD Kit : Hard Drive Accessories : Maplin

Would any of these do the trick? The one from Maplin has confusing info. In one of the questions, it says it's SATA compatible and elsewhere only IDE.

I did read on the net that frame mounting kits like the one from Scan may or may not fit properly, case depending. So finding info on whether the Intel would fit in my Antec P180 would be even harder to come by if that's the case.

I'm hoping someone on here could point me in the right direction please.
  2. jameson_uk

jameson_uk Member

Ratings:
    +580
  3. dts197

dts197 Member

Ratings:
    +310
    Thanks for the links, plenty to look at. Appreciate it.
  4. darren68uk

darren68uk Member

Ratings:
    +111
    you get sorted,

this was what i got
    SATABAY425BK Startech 4 X 2.5 SAS/SATA RAID BACKPLANE FOR 5.25 BAY (Storage Cabinets Enclosures Caddy)
    but i got mine from media atlantic but they dont seem to stock it anyomore, you can get them on ebay as well,

its a moderate price but i seen it as away to rid my i7 core pc of 3.5 drives once and for all, i now have a2.5 intel x25 SSD that boots and a WD black 7200rpm 2.5 drive as backup etc which is also quite quick, so still have to ports left ,, and now have nothing blocking my front fans pulling in some serious cool air to my graphics card:thumbsup:
  5. jedifozzie

jedifozzie Member

Ratings:
    +97
    just bought the intel 40gb ssd and it comes with the bracket to make it 3.5:smashin:
  6. dts197

dts197 Member

Ratings:
    +310
    No, not bought anything yet. I want to decide on what ssd and storage hdd's before I buy the brackets. If the poster above got one with his Intel 40gb, I might get one with the 80gb Intel if I decide on that one.
  7. marchudman

marchudman Member

Ratings:
    +79
    I just rested my ssd inside the case out of the way.
  8. darren68uk

darren68uk Member

Ratings:
    +111
    How un-cothe:D guess anyway works , not like you'll be sat on a train !! lol

what i like about my enclosure system is i can hot swap about apart from the os disk of course, and just a case of one button and it comes out, no fathing around gettin back into the case which for me is a pain having to keep pulling about all the cables n wires, like i said thou horses for courses:cool: