1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to configure Samsung LED TV for Internet Connectivity

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by ramsdesk, Aug 16, 2009.

1. ramsdesk

ramsdesk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Series 7 Samsung LED TV recently. I am trying to setup the LAN and hence the Internet Connectivity..

I am using Netgear WiFi Router with Broadband connection. My desktop is conneted via Cable and my laptop is via Wireless.. both working fine.

I connected the LAN port in the TV with one of the ethernet ports on the router using a LAN cable. I also set up the Network in the TV with 'Manual' and input the ip address as below

The Network test showed all were right..

But when I pressed the 'Internet@TV' button in the remote, the 'Connecting..' message came but errored out with 'Service not supported'.. Not sure what this means.. nor am I sure when this setup is correct.

Please help.
  2. mearcat

mearcat Member

Ratings:
    +0

Why did you have to enter an ip address. surely if you are connected to a router, the router will assign an ip address automatically for the Tv.
    I do not have this tv, but want one. Is there an option in the network setting for auto or dhcp ? if there is select that !

Hope that helps

Ps What do you think of this tv, as i said i am thinking of buying one of these. I currently use a ps3 for playing back hd files from my pc using tversity on my pc as a media streamer.
    Works very well, I wonder if the samsung can play these files too ?
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  3. dch2gav

dch2gav Member

Ratings:
    +2

I have the same question / problem!!

Could anyone help us or point us to the right "forum page" where some settings are given.

Thanks in advance.

Aris
  4. **HD-FAN**

**HD-FAN** Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Just dont bother assigning the IP as long as your router is set up as DHCP it will assign an IP address automatically. It is set up as plug and play. No need to over complicate the issue. ;)
  5. ramsdesk

ramsdesk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    There is indeed an 'Auto' setting in the TV Network Setup which when tried gives the same error.. though all the so-called tests in the TV seems ok.

Is there anything I need to do in the router apart from connecting the LAN cable??

Pls suggest.
  6. ramsdesk

ramsdesk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just to add to my reply..

I checked the Router setup at http://192.168.0.1..

The 'Attached Devices' link in the setup does show the TV's MAC address, which means the connected is right..

Any help pls..
  7. mearcat

mearcat Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Your router may be able to see your tv, but this does not allways mean that your tv can access the internet.

In the tests on the tv, is there a test for internet connectivity ? and does this work ?

Can you see your tv from your desktop pc ?

Can you ping your tv from your desktop pc, (In windows open or run cmd and type ping 192.168.0.4 then press enter) assuming that is still the ip adress for your tv.

Does ping time out or get a reply?
  8. ramsdesk

ramsdesk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    To answer your questions in the order:

- No there is no Internet Connectivity check but only Network connectivity check with does the testing for Gateway and DNS.. It works fine.

- Am able to ping my TV ip from my desktop. I get a reply.

Is there anything else I need to check?
  9. mearcat

mearcat Member

Ratings:
    +0
    MMmm getting tricky now.
    I found this in your manual

When unable to connect to a wired network​
    If your Internet service provider has registered the MAC address of the device used to
    connect to the Internet for the first time and authenticates the MAC address each time you
    connect to the Internet, your TV may not be able to connect to the Internet as the MAC
    address differs from that of the device (PC).
    In this case, ask your Internet service provider about the procedures to connect devices
    other than your PC (such as your TV) to the Internet. If your Internet service provider
    requires an ID or password to connect to the Internet (network), your TV may not be
    able to connect to the Internet. In this case, you have to enter your ID or password when
    connecting to the Internet using an Internet Sharer (Router).
    The internet connection may fail due to a firewall problem. In this case, contact your
    Internet service provider. If you cannot connect to the Internet even if you have followed​
    the procedures of your Internet service provider, please contact Samsung Electronics

Are you on cable ?

Have your read this.

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/200904/20090424184521937/BN68-01985S-01Eng-0421.pdf

I think is a problem in your router or with your isp.

Hope this helps

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  10. yediortali

yediortali Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Me and one of my friends have both bought Samsung 8 series Led tv 46b8000. And we both have exacly the same issue.

Tv is connected to the LAN. DLNA sources on the network can be explored on tv and when the Internet@TV button is pressed on the remote, tv says "Service not supported".

I'm an computer and system's engineer and I'm pretty sure that my router has dns and dhcp server services inside and smootly managing my network including the tv by serving gateway,dns and client IP packages per each dhcp request. There are no firewall sw/hw's in between router and tv.

Any clue?
  11. 007geezer

007geezer Member

Ratings:
    +36
    I have the Samsung UE55B7020W and have connected my TV through its LAN port and then in to a homeplug setup, (decided against the wireless dongle approach) it instantly (on the auto settings) found my router and was connected with no problems...with just a press of the internet button on the remote! On the internet functionality, it is purely through the series of Widgets supplied via Samsung that you can connect with,in that you have various connections for say the weather, stock & shares ,news etc. Not the direct access to the Internet per say, that you can peruse the whole of the internet on your TV! Anyway thats what I have gleamed so far:D
  12. andyk

andyk Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I've just got a Samsung TV. I found that the auto network setup (which should use my DHCP) didn't work. I set the network manually in the TV and the test page gets as far as seeing my router and checking DNS etc. but then fails on the internet connection.

I'm not sure it is worth pursuing though. As long as I can see my media server, why would I want to connect to the net from the TV? I understand that it is just going to be able to use some Samsung widgets (weather etc.) that don't sound that useful, and let me do firmware upgrades (which I can also do via USB should I feel the need).

Anyone got any more compelling reason for me to troubleshoot?
  13. Kris11

Kris11 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Samsung 7 series LED TV and am trying to use a wireless USB adapter to access the internet (but not the Samsung dongle). Is this possible? I am trying to manually configure it but keep getting a gateway ping failure.
  14. Strawbs

Strawbs Member

Ratings:
    +177
    Just ordered a UE40C5800 and from reading the Samsung website I gather this model is wifi\network enabled, but not internet enabled.

Could this be the mistake some of you guys are making? i.e. are you sure it's actually supposed to connect to the internet? LAN\Wifi adaptor support doesn't necessarily mean Internet support, just that it's networkable.
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  15. Kris11

Kris11 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Good point... so in my case I don't mean so much the internet, I just want to use the widgets.
  16. Strawbs

Strawbs Member

Ratings:
    +177
    I found the following in the .pdf user manual for the 5 series! but it would really only be relevant if you're connecting directly to your ISP's modem & not if you have a separate Router\Access Point situated between the TV & Modem.
  17. Yorkibar

Yorkibar Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought a Samsung le40c750 3d with a Samsung home cinema system. The whole kit is fantastic and would recommend to anyone.

However can't connect to the internet. Purchased Samsung dongle and made connection successfully with my router. Went to test network and TV states I am not connected and states the connection type is wired and not wireless. No options to change. The connection is made but the services are not available.

Any suggestions??
  18. brascoe

brascoe Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I have this tv all i done was put the samsung dongle changed t.v to wireless connection. Then it will find router choose your one and then a presto all done just check connection to make sure any more problems and ill be willing to help.
  19. brascoe

brascoe Member

Ratings:
    +4
    if you press menu and go down to icon with the cogs and go to network it will let you change it that way.
  20. Yorkibar

Yorkibar Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply.

This is what I have done so far.
    1 Inserted dongle
    2 Changed to wired network- it connects to my router OK
    3 Then tested internet settings-still on wired and not connected !
    4 Checked other settings and it states my IP address and DNS setting etc are not correct-I have used the auto option so my settings are via the router. Don't understand.

Everything else about the TV is suburb just cant connect to the internet view my PC files or use the internet options available.

You seemed to have more luck than me. How do you like the TV and HD presentations for films and sport- Have you got a blue ray player?
  21. Yorkibar

Yorkibar Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Also just read the above so will contact Virgin my ISP provider to check to see if they can help.

Cheers
  22. AlistairS

AlistairS Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Any one resolved this I have entered my setting manually & then tried the test page. I get as far as pinging the default gateway & it fails. The default gateway is the same as my routers address, might that be the problem?
  23. fixier

fixier Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys I'm new here so Hello everyone:hiya:

I've just bought the UE46C5800 Led TV and a C5500 Bluray to go with it and I'm having the same problem with the TV however the Bluray connects and works without problems.
    The TV is set up with the recommended dongle and passes the test in the menu but how the hell do you access the Internet when the TV remote doesn't have a Internet button?
    Ive gone over every page in the instruction manual and all I find is the setup procedure but no hints on how to actually use it.

Cheers in advance
  24. Strawbs

Strawbs Member

Ratings:
    +177
    welcome to the forums. :hiya:

The C5800 doesn't feature internet TV - only home networking! so that's your problem. You need the 6 Series & above for Internet connectivity.
  25. fixier

fixier Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like I'm confusing Home Networking with the Internet, it's very little use to me anyway after seeing the few widgets displayed when the Bluray connects so nothing lost.
    Cheers :smashin:
  26. susieB

susieB Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Please can someone help!

I have a Samsung LE46C750 TV which I cannot connect to the Internet. I have the Samsung dongle. The Internet was there previously and now it has disappeared and although it shows my network name on the newtork test it fails at the IP address, subnet, gateway and DNS server. If I select network setup, sometimes it sees the network and other times it doesn't. I am very frustrated! Any help will be truely appreciated!
  27. cuke2u

cuke2u Member

Ratings:
    +51
    Hi, anything else using wireless in your house that might cause a IP conflict?
    PS, you might be better off putting this in the c750 thread...
    Chris
  28. susieB

susieB Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks the only other thing connected is a laptop computer. Where will I find the C750 thread please?
  29. cuke2u

cuke2u Member

Ratings:
    +51
  30. Felim_Doyle

Felim_Doyle Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think my Dad's TV is a Samsung UE37D5500 (Series 7) and I had the same problems as others here. I set it up using a wired connection as the router is in the same cabinet as the TV and the connection configured and tested fine but it can't contact the Samsung ‘mother ship’ to check for firmware updates.

The next time I'm over to see my Dad, maybe I'll try updating from a USB Flash Drive and see if the new firmware fixes the internet access issue.