Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to choose speakers

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by Pam17, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Pam17

Pam17 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    We have just ordered the Denon AVR 1910 and need suggestions regarding speakers. We don't really want to go over about £500.

Also in the room will be a Sharp Aquos 42" LCD TV and a PS3. My husband likes the look and size of the Boston Acoustics Soundware XS 5.1 system we were shown yesterday in a local store but I'm more drawn to the Q Acoustics 1010i or 2000 series package.

We don't really know what we need to look for in buying speakers so some help would be appreciated.

Thanks
  2. Dazzor

Dazzor Active Member

Ratings:
    +325
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. TESLACOIL

TESLACOIL Member

Ratings:
    +2
    you wont regret pushing your speaker budget to the max as long as you avoid buying also ran speakers

well worth doing your homework

"The quality remains long after the pain of the price has faded'

this is most readily applicable to speakers

if u r not an audiophile a 2.0 system could work well

a pair of quality floor standers will throw out some decent bass

only go for 5.1

if

A u have a very big room
    B the speakers can be laid out to accommodate the seated audience
    C u know what you are doing

(so the guy on the left isnt dominated by the left speaker etc....its why i went for a 2.1 system not 5.1

small bookshelf speaker & a sub on my 300 budget....if i had better room placement i would of got two floor standers

5.1 is for sheep and is a worse than useless gimmick if your room size & seating isnt suited

if your front room is arranged like a small cinema anyway then 5.1 can work

if its not then go for 2.0 or 2.1 (bookshelf + sub or floorstander + maybe quality centre )
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  4. safcalibur

safcalibur Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,000
    Hi Pam,

A couple of things to consider, as well as a budget (which you have), how much space you have and what you'd mainly be using the speakers for also should be factored in. If you dont have much room to play with and space is a premium getting some satelitte speakers like KEF would be a good choice

KEF KHT2005.3 Silver | 5.1 Speaker Package | Richer Sounds

or Mordaunt Short:

Mordaunt Short ALUMNI SYSTEM Black | 5.1 Speaker Package | Richer Sounds

If you have some space to play around with then some bookshelf speakers or floorstanding speakers could be considered. Generally speaking the larger the speaker cabinet the easier it is for air to flow and the better the sound is reproduced. The new q acoustics 2000 series has been getting very good reviews and would make an excellent choice for bookshelf speakers

Q ACOUSTICS 2000 5.1 HOME CINEMA SPEAKER PACKAGE - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/5697 for details

Wharfedale are another speaker set which is worth looking at.

If you can, i would pair the denon 1910 with those q acoustics, they would sound very nice, but only if you were looking for a 5.1 speaker package. If you are going to be watching lots of movies and playing games then i would recommend a 5.1 system but if you are mainly going to be listening to music and some movies then i'd go for a quality 2.0 or 2.1 system (the point-one refers to the subwoofer just in case!)

Cheers

Saf
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  5. soupdragon

soupdragon Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,073
    Acoustic Energy Aegis Neo 5.1 Speaker System

If it was my purchase, this ^^^ is what I would go for - reduced to £599 from £999.

The subwoofer is supposedly of good quality and on paper, is better than the subs from the other packages mentioned. This will make movies a more enjoyable listen - The front floorstanders should be great for 2 channel music listening also.

The cabinets are quite big - for me this is a good thing and for sound reproduction, this is advantageous. However, some people don't like the look of large speakers so its for you to decide they are worth considering.:thumbsup:

If big speakers aren't your thing, the 1010i's are a good choice and can be had for £350 (Superfi - only in cherry though)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Pam17

Pam17 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the suggestions. We are trying to get a find a good deal for the Q Acoustics 2000 but in the mean time we visited Richer Sounds in Belfast today and they have the Monitor Audio Vector 5.1 system reduced to £399.99 which seems to be a good deal.
    Does anyone have any opinions on how this system would perform if matched with the Denon 1910?
  7. Dazzor

Dazzor Active Member

Ratings:
    +325
    Check this post out from a very knowledgeable forum member..

Also, what about the KEF KHT2005.3 package? The cheapest I can find them is here. Just a thought as you do seem quite set on a sub-sat package and the KEF's seem to be well regarded too and would be a decent marriage with the Denon AVR I think. Check this link out, talking about that exact paring. EDIT: Apologies to safcalibur, didn't see that the KEF suggestion was already there.

EDIT: Just to reiterate something I mentioned earlier, small satellites like the KEF's and Audio Vectors will not be as good as bigger-cabinet speakers with bigger drivers for music. If you can get a demo then go do it. For mids and lows you need to move air, simple as that really.

Keep up the quest, you're almost there!:smashin:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  8. safcalibur

safcalibur Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,000
    No probs buddy :smashin:.

To Pam17,

good luck in whatever you decide to get. Theres some very sound advice here, all up to you to make sense of it and take the plunge!!

To answer your question, the monitor speakers would sound nice but i'd personally hold out for the Q Acoustics, they do very little if nothing wrong for what they are!

All the best

Saf

Edit: This site has them in stock i think:

http://www.exceptional-av.co.uk/product.php?fdProductId=337

and you can pay in installments over 6 months!!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Pam17

Pam17 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Dazzor thanks again for your help and excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by a sub-sat package?
  10. DeepDiver

DeepDiver Member

Ratings:
    +101
    He means your subwoofer & 5 Speakers (2x front,2x rear & 1x centre) :)
  11. Dazzor

Dazzor Active Member

Ratings:
    +325
    Thanks DD.:smashin:

More specifically, what I meant was a package that uses very small speakers for all 5 of the 5.1 configuration as opposed to a package that has more substantial speakers for the front 2 (Music-stereo duties) and possibly centre with the rear speakers being much smaller. Or indeed something like the the ACOUSTIC ENERGY AEGIS NEO 5.1 which are all big, bigger cabinets and drivers means more depth with mid and lower ranges as the sub really only takes care of 80hz and below so potentially there could be holes in the frequency range when using really small speakers and a sub.

At the end of the day, all these packages that have been suggested are good and you may even prefer the sound from them over and above a bigger set-up, the whole thing is personal taste and therefore subjective.

I mention the above as I don't know certain factors like how much space you have and how important 2-channel music listening is to you? If it's not and space and discrete-looking speakers are paramount then I would go for the Q-Acoustics personally given your budget (After a demo ideally).

EDIT/05/01/2010@16.30: Check this post out

Hope I haven't muddied the waters further:eek:

All the best
    D
  12. safcalibur

safcalibur Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,000
    I agree with Dazzor. Have a look at whats important to you; space, style, the kind of listening you'll be doing and budget. These are all important in deciding what kind of speakers to buy.

If you dont have the space then a small satelitte speaker set plus sub would be good like the KEF's, Mordaunt Short Alumni, etc... but as compared to bigger speakers (bookshelf/floorstanders) they wouldnt sound that great with stereo sound/music. The Q Acoustics would do a good job for both i think although if its primarily music you will be listening to the satelittes may not cut it for you. If, on the other hand, you will use the speakers mainly for movies/gaming and occasionally music the the smaller set may be just fine.

All yours!

Cheers

Saf
  13. Zorba_8

Zorba_8 Member

Ratings:
    +150
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Dazzor

Dazzor Active Member

Ratings:
    +325
    Myself and safcalibur are on the same hymm-sheet here.:smashin:

I too think the Q Acoustics are the best all-rounders in your price-bracket/budget.

Also, do read the link Zorba_8 has kindly provided. It basically bolsters a lot of what we've said here and a bit more besides.
  15. safcalibur

safcalibur Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,000
    You know what they say mate, great minds and all that :smashin::rotfl:

All i need to do now is convince the missus that i'm not as dumb as i look, thats gonna be tough!!
  16. Dazzor

Dazzor Active Member

Ratings:
    +325
    My "trouble & strife" loves it when I talk technical AV to her:rotfl:
  17. safcalibur

safcalibur Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,000
    :rotfl: I need to get a new one! My one threatens to throw me down the 'apples and pears' when i do :eek:
  18. Pam17

Pam17 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys for the explanation :thumbsup: and the link to the 10 most common mistakes. That made us laugh because we, over the years, have succumbed to several of them.

Now I have another question for you all.

My hubby has looked at the individual speakers in the Q Acoustics 2000 series and fancies the idea of the front floorstanding speakers 2050.
    Besides the obvious increase in price that would arise if we were to purchase the various types of speaker separately would the 2050 speakers give a better sound than putting a couple of the 2020's or 2010's on speaker stands.

BTW based on the prices on Superfi the price for the following in gloss black would be:-

200C (1) - £119
    2020 (2) - £159
    2050 (2) - £449
    2070 (1) - £269

Total - £996
  19. Dazzor

Dazzor Active Member

Ratings:
    +325
    In a word, yes.

Just viewed the new 2000 range on QA's site and basically as you go up the range the drivers increase by roughly an inch...The bigger the driver, the more range it should have, the more air it will move. The floorstanders (2050) are still only 2-way speakers even though they look like 3-way but should be much better for music in any case.

Sub suggestion

If you're looking to move away from set-packages then it could be a good idea to forget about the QA sub 2070S sub and go for the BK Gemini II.

Never heard it myself but it's well regarded and I suspect it's a lot better than the QA 2070S. Just looking at the spec-sheet one can see it goes 10hz lower and has a bit more power. It can also be got in gloss black. Don't be put off by the fairly unattractive website, this is meant to be a top little sub for the money.

Here's a post supporting the BK Gemini II

Just so you know, it's not important to stick to the same manufacturer for the sub, only the normal speakers for tonal-matching, subs do a different job that means mixing & matching's a good option.

Hope this helps
    D
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. safcalibur

safcalibur Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,000
    Again, agreed with Dazzor!

Buying an all in one 5.1 speaker package is great for seveal reasons a couple being you get a full cinema surround sound set up and the speakers will match eachother therfore tonal differences become non existent and your sound field will sound much smoother as sound passes from one speaker to another.

No buying each speaker individually is great because ultimately you will end up with a superior sounding set up. Buying some quality floostanders for Left and Right sound is a good idea, the 2050's seem very good. As Dazzor mentioned, the drivers are bigger resulting in them being able to push more air around equalling better sound. The most important speaker in you entire set up would be the centre speaker. That has the job of producing around 40-50% of the sound you hear. Followed by the left and right and then your rears.

A lot of people build up gradually and spend the majority of their money on the centre, left and right and then buy the rears when they can. If you do it this way you gotta make sure that the speakers you buy match eachother tonally. I think if you have the space then the 2050s for your fronts would be great and would def sound better than a couple of smaller ones places on stands.

With floorstanders, having a sub becomes less of an issue as they are big enough to produce some bass. The gemini sub Dazzor mentioned is very good and could feasably be added at a later date when you have the money. Your system would still sound very nice without one.

Cheers

Saf
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  21. Dazzor

Dazzor Active Member

Ratings:
    +325
    You could blow the entire budget on these 2 beauties:devil:
  22. safcalibur

safcalibur Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,000
    Corr blimey guv'nor! :eek::eek::eek: I need to change my trousers!!