Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to cancel an O2 online contract!!!!????

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones' started by buns, May 17, 2004.

1. buns

buns New Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I have had an O2 online contract for the last year now. The contract was up just a couple of days ago and I had a month ago rung to cancel. Then they never got back to me with dates and pac code. So I rang again and then will wonders never cease, they just forgot to reply! But i got the code from them at that point and I thought that was that since they said the sim would simply cease. But now I go to check the online bill and I find that im being billed for the may/june month..... april/may was month 12..... why are they billing me again!? I have asked now twice for it to be cancelled..... I want to move to a new contract and I dont want to be forced to pay for a month on my current contract that I wont use..... so how on earth do I get O2 online to cut me off!!!???

thanks

Ad

ps. I would recommend anyone keep away from O2 online. I have now spent £5 TRYING to get the thing cancelled because they charge cutomer services at 50p per min! :mad:
  2. hollie.weimeran

hollie.weimeran Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Just cancel the direct debit authorisation with your bank. You have done what is necessary by contacting them (I think they require 1 months notice of cancellation). They'll soon disconnect your sim card when they realise that they aren't getting your dosh any more! :thumbsup:
  3. lead

lead Member

Ratings:
    +62
    If you use your PAC code (i.e. keep your existing telephone number) and take out a contract with another service provider, that should inform O2 that you have cancelled the contract. At least that's what Orange did when I moved from O2.
  4. buns

buns New Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I got it sorted thanks guys..... Im not very knowledgeable about phones so when I called and canecelled I assumed that that was the end of it..... no one informed me that it wouldnt actually cease until I used the pac code.... im still unsure as to how the billing works....if I use the code halfway through the month, do they refund me half a months line rental? If not there seems little point doing this until the month is up....

ad
  5. kelvin

kelvin Member

Ratings:
    +45
    Buns,

Speaking as someone who went through the same "trauma" just a year or so ago I know how you must be feeling...!! ;) :(

With regards to the "PAC" code - if you use it part-way through a month, you will only be charged line rental up to that point. Whilst it is likely that you will be billed for the entire month come your billing date, a credit note will be issued the following month. For this reason alone, I would advise against cancelling you DD - they will credit your account in due course.

Lead is correct in saying that when you use your PAC code to port your number, O2 are obliged to treat that as cancellation of your contract. Your new service provider will forward details to O2 pretty much immediately although you may discover that there is an overlap of a couple of days :)

Good luck!

K.
  6. kelvin

kelvin Member

Ratings:
    +45
    I forgot to add... make sure you use the PAC code within the authorised period. It becomes invalid after a certain time has passed.

The letter forwarded to you with the PAC details on it should advise you of the cut off date :)

K.
  7. buns

buns New Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I didnt get a letter, I didnt even get an email, it took me 2 phone calls of large cost for them to tell me it down the phone line..... so I have no idea what the authorised period is! Im going down to the O2 shop in town at the weekend to sort it so I hope the code is still active!

ad
  8. kelvin

kelvin Member

Ratings:
    +45
    The O2 shop will deny all responsibility - their "online" franchise is totally separate to their high street shops. I *think* I'm right in saying that a PAC code is valid for 28 days...

You can only use a PAC code if you are changing your provider - if you intend to stay with O2 then you're only option is an upgrade, or totally cancelling your contract and starting again with a new number.

K.
  9. buns

buns New Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I realised that O2 retail would deny all knowledge but I assumed that meant they were distinct..... so I wont be able to go to a high street and use that pac code? But I want to use a high street tarriff and the online doesnt offer this.... they wouldnt even upgrade me to a tarriff equivalent to the high street.... it sounds like I almost have no way of getting away from O2 online :(

ad
  10. Zone

Zone Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,483
    Buns I can't help with your immediate problem but for info their email address is mycarewebform@o2mail.co.uk, I was in need of their customer service :clown: last month and I'd be buggered before I phoned them at 50p a minute :thumbsdow it took a more strongly worded second email a week later before I got a reply :mad:

Good luck
  11. buns

buns New Member

Ratings:
    +2
    odd..... i talked to a high street store and basically they said to ignore the online people..... use the pac code anywhere you like and it would work itself out

ad
  12. fraggle

fraggle Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Thats right buns. You get a PAC code, take it to any service provider you want (in your case an O2 shop), choose new phone, tell them "Gimme one of these and here's a PAC code so you can transfer my number"

They will give you the phone, and for a little while (maybe upto 7 days) it'll use the new number, then one morning when you turn it on it'll have changed over to the old number.

Whoever you get the new phone from (and gave the PAC code to) does all the work of cancelling of your old contract with O2 Online, etc, you do nothing more than just ask for the PAC code in the first place.

Once your phones changed and is using your old number cancel the direct debit to O2 online immediately.

The network sends a code to the phone to update its number, but this will only happen when you turn the phone off and on so I suggest for the first week turning the new phone off every night whilst you're ZZZzzzzZZZ ing :) until the number changes.

PAC codes are olny valid for 30 or so days, after that you'll have to ask for a new one.

For anyone wanting to port their number, NEVER cancel your contract, if you do that you've just lost your old number forever. JUST ask for a PAC code and then go get your new phone/contract and give the PAC code to the place you got new phone from.
  13. lizzy

lizzy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,
    I need a bit of advice about cancellling an existing o2 contract. The contract is about 3 months old. Does anyone know whether its possible to escape the clutches of the 12 month minimum contract period?
  14. buns

buns New Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Beleieve it or not the whole thing got screwed up. I never had notification of the expiry of the pac so by the time it was used, it was dead. Unfortunately the idiots cancelled the contract despite the pac being dead yet they didnt port the number. So now the old sim was dead and O2 online considered me as an old customer so wouldnt help. So in the end I had to settle for a new number.

On a related point, O2 online have charged me in excesss to the amount they were meant to on my last month (more than my bill). Should I expect them to credit me or do I need to chase them? of course that introduces the difficulty of getting hold of them.....

ad
  15. tibs01

tibs01 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    hiya people , im currently with o2 online , i have checked my phone bill today and its 10 days behind , i have also been on bbcs watch dog service and submitted the problem to the website , and if i was u , u lot should do the same as if they get loads of reports about o2 online they will look into it , i have had the account with o2online for the past yr now i still aint happy with the poop i never had any problems with the phone except gprs , i have emailed mycare again today , and all the o2 address\'s on o2.com. http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/contact/mobilephones.shtml go there and submit reports i have..
  16. griff_av

griff_av Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    bloody o2 online, I've been with them since they were genie and am therefore unwilling to give up my 50 offpeak mins a day and unlimited text and wap for £10/month - there just isn't any other contract to match it. however I have always had problems with them customer service wise. for 6 months a year or two ago I couldn't log into my online account and the emails back then didnt tell you how much was coming out of your account, this is against the direct debit agreement but try getting through to the customer service phone lines!

then this year all i wanted to do was change the account I had had direct debits (DD) coming out of for the last two years. it took them 2 months to realise my original DD wasn't being paid and they promptly cut my service off. After 5 phone calls I eventually got my bank account details changed and had to pay 3 months bills all at once. I never got any money back for the time I was cut off, only an apology from a stressed call centre worker.

This company is very incompetant, my phone always works, but should anything ever go wrong billing wise you're fu*ked as it will take 10 times longer to get it fixed than if you could go down to the high street. By the way I did take to storming into O2 shops and demanding to call their customer service line, they let me do it at their expense - what do you do when you've been cut off and dont have a phone to call up?

Plus dont get me started on the 'email customer service' that is an absolute joke, you send an email and a week later you get back 'its been a week since you sent in your enquiry we assume you've sorted out your problem now, if not reply to this email.' - what?? what?? how can I have solved my problem with no help at all? I got that email three times over before I gave up and rang in.

Anyway thats my rant over. I have reported this to watchdog (as you can tell I was quite ****** off with O2) nothing as yet though....