Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to bring PC out of sleep with Xbox 360

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by riverboat2001, May 24, 2011.

1. riverboat2001

riverboat2001 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Almost There!

Now PC is going in and out of sleep perfectly in normal use, I'm now moving on to the 3 Xbox 360's that i use as extenders.

When the pc is on they all work fine (albeit a bit slow to respond, but great when actually playing the files)

Media Standby Tool recognises there are three extenders.

My network card in device manager is set to wake on Magic Packet

In the power managment box for the NVIDIA nForce Network Controller.

"Allow the computer to turn off the device to save power" is unchecked

The other two options
    Allow this device to wake up the computer
    AND
    Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer

ARE checked, but greyed out.

None of the 360's can connect to the pc whilst it's in sleep mode (obviously)

But they aren't bringing the HTPC out of sleep mode.

I've temporarily turned off the Windows Firewall.

The 360's are connected via homeplugs into my unmanaged switch.
    The HTPC is hard-wired to the switch.

What should i check next?
    Last edited: May 24, 2011
  2. Grangey.

Grangey. Active Member

Ratings:
    +782
    you bios settings and ensure wake on lan is enabled there too
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. riverboat2001

riverboat2001 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,

Win 7
    Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H GeForce 7100

Entered Bios, and under power management i can't see Wake on Lan

ACPI = S3 (STR)
    Soft Off = 4 seconds
    PME Event wake up= enabled
    Modem ring on = disabled
    usb resume from suspend = enabled
    power on by alarm = disabled
    hpet support = enabled
    power on by mouse = double click
    power on by keyboard=disabled
    AC back function = soft off

I've downloaded an update for the BIOS, but the motherborad uses Qflash to update, and insists on the update being on a usb stick, or floppy drive.

Even though i have enabled the USB stick in the bios, and tried it in each of the four usb sockets, it doesn't see the stick, so therefore i cant flash the motherboard to the latest update.
  4. MikeK

MikeK Active Member

Ratings:
    +320
    In the bios, WOL will be enabled with the PME Event setting.

It looks like your PC is set to only wake on a magic packet - I'm not sure it's possible to configure an Xbox360 to send one TBH.
    The "magic packet" is an ethernet frame containing a specific string of characters and with the PC's MAC address set as the target address.

You may need to source a network card which allows other methods of wakeup other than just magic packet - unless of course you know a way to configure the XBOX's to send a magic packet!
    Support can be patchy though - sometimes it just won't work no matter what you do, even if you have devices which claim they support this or that method.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. riverboat2001

riverboat2001 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Going to have to give that a miss then, new home squeezing evey last penny and minute out of me!
  6. Grangey.

Grangey. Active Member

Ratings:
    +782
    Mike I thought the same, but on a google search some are reporting it is possible to wake using 360 as an extender without mention specifically of a magic packet. There must be a way, unfortunatley riverboat it does appear abit hit and miss though
  7. MikeK

MikeK Active Member

Ratings:
    +320

Some network cards allow Wake on Activity - which means wake when any packet is sent directly to your PC (not just a magic packet).
    This may be called Directed Packet or Pattern Match, and possibly various other names.

The problem though is that there can be a quite a bit of network traffic flying around with your PC's address, and it doesn't stop as soon as your PC enters standby mode. Hence you can get the problem where your PC may wake up immediately after entering standby - not very useful (and why magic packet was introduced)

If your network card supports it, you've nothing to lose by trying it though!
  8. albal

albal Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

When using an XBox 360 as an extender to Windows Media Center an Xbox will send the required magic packets to wake the server PC.

I would first try waking your Media Center using another PC - google will find you plenty of 'apps'. I think you actually need to check "Allow the computer to turn off the device to save power" so that you get the options to wake on magic packet.

However, if you have a newer BIOS you might want that too. Perhaps try another USB stick.

Cheers,
    Al
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. MikeK

MikeK Active Member

Ratings:
    +320
    Yes, I can confirm this does work, at least on Win7 anyway, (tried it this afternoon) - this is handy to know if you use the XBOX as a media extender to a windows PC running media centre!
    There is no magic packet configuration as such - the XBOX must do it automatically when you launch Media Centre from "My XBOX" on the dashboard!
    My XBOX and PC are connected as follows, PC - cheap noname gigabit switch - Netgear FS105 switch - XBOX360.
  10. Bossworld

Bossworld Member

Ratings:
    +61
    Sorry to bump an old thread but I've just reformatted my PC and I'm having issues.

They all connect fine when on, and I can use a WOL magic packet from my iPhone to wake the PC, so that appears to be OK.

Only thing I've done differently this time was to update the PC BIOS, but as said my iPhone can still wake the machine.

My 360 slim can wake the PC, either when it's on wifi or hard wired into the router.

Neither of the other 360s (fat models) can. As I don't recall having WOL working when I was hard wired in the past, was there a difference in the WOL capability of slim/phat? I've got a sneaking suspicion that it used to work on wifi.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012