Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to adjust the dipped headlights on a Ford Focus Zetec 2008?

Discussion in 'Motoring Forum' started by saxincamden, Jul 13, 2011.

1. saxincamden

saxincamden Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have just had the passenger side dipped headlight bulb replaced by Halfords, who did a very quick and efficient job. A few minutes tops! However, when I turned the dipped headlights on later, (I know now I should have checked this while I was there...), the passenger side one is pointing up into the air while the other one is ok.
    So, how do I adjust this? Can I do it myself...?:lease:
  2. un1eash

un1eash Active Member

Ratings:
    +527
    Sounds like they didnt do a good job of fitting it and its not fitted correctly if its pointing that far upwards.
  3. saxincamden

saxincamden Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So................. thanks, but can I correct this myself or will I have to take it back to Halfords for them to correct the alignment?
    It can't be that difficult to adjust what way the beam is pointing, can it.....?
  4. un1eash

un1eash Active Member

Ratings:
    +527
    Depends on your DIY skills the fact you got Halfords to change a light bulb makes me assume that you couldnt do it yourself or you couldnt be bothered to do it yourself at the time, i'm not sure what training halfords staff have but i'd seen them struggle changing wiper blades.
  5. DVD-Man

DVD-Man Active Member

Ratings:
    +788
    The staff have no training.

The bulbs sits a certain way to locate and then it's held in by a clip, have a go yourself learn something new and stop relying on Halfords.
  6. paulyoung666

paulyoung666 Active Member

Ratings:
    +975
    well , correcting it yourself should only be a 5 minute job , however i would go back and tell them to sort it out , btw , how much did they charge to fit it ? .........

edit .............

halfway down the page on the right :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  7. saxincamden

saxincamden Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know anything about fixing things on cars but before I went to Halfords I checked the car Manual (useless), went online looking and asking for help so I could try to do it myself - also a dead loss!
    So, that is why I finally went to them and also because I was told it would cost a fiver to fit ... it actually cost six pounds something.
    This is why now I would like to fix it myself... if I can find out exactly what to do.
    Instructions anyone :lease:
  8. Inked

Inked Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,816
  9. un1eash

un1eash Active Member

Ratings:
    +527
    Thats mega cheap for a Megane headlight bulb change.
  10. thesilverfox

thesilverfox Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,948
    There shouldn't be such a stark issue upon a simple bulb change.

The headlamp unit accepts the bulb only one way up (due to the shape of the bulb itself at the base). To get the headlamp out, you need to press three clips down with a blunt object and slide the unit out. Problem is that one of the three is hard to locate unless you know about it. For those that don't, it's quite easy to snap or break.

Chances are that the headlamp isn't pushed back in correctly and 'clicked' in to place. If it is, then there is a white hexagonal socket that is used to fine-tune the headlamps, which takes an Allen key. You can do this yourself if you know what to do, but I wouldn't know where to begin to get the right pattern from the beam.

I'd have a go yourself and check all is well. Once a headlamp has come out for the first time on a Focus MKII (and facelift), it's very easy to get out from that point onwards. The owner's manual even advises you!
  11. Kebabhead

Kebabhead Active Member

Ratings:
    +509
  12. thesilverfox

thesilverfox Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,948