1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much to pebbledash a house?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by THE AMATUER, May 15, 2008.

1. THE AMATUER

THE AMATUER Active Member

Ratings:
    +284
    Hi

Anyone have any idea how much it would cost to pebbledash an average sized 3-bed semi house?
    (whole back of house, side and little panel at the front)

thanks.
  2. dennis

dennis Member

Ratings:
    +58
    take me out for a vindaloo,and i'll do it for nothing :D

sorry.
  3. THE AMATUER

Ratings:
    +284
    No one had this done to their house that can help?
  4. Hitby

Hitby Member

Ratings:
    +504
    Are you removing old pebbledashing first?

http://www.ebuild.co.uk/forums/messages/3414/10274.html
    Back of two bed terrace, hack off and repebbledash was £1400. Took a day to come off and a day and a half to go back on. With breaks for me to put in windows.

If you're not, don't do it :)
  5. THE AMATUER

Ratings:
    +284
    Thanks. We had a side extension built so we want the house matched to that. They don't need to remove any pebbledashing. Trying to find people to do this work is really hard !!
  6. Hitby

Hitby Member

Ratings:
    +504
    aah, I would think most builders would be able to do it, although, as you've probably found, there isn't much call for it any more.
  7. mjn

mjn Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,338
    I thought this went out in the 80's!
  8. Crocodile

Crocodile Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,414
    I would think that as with most things trade related, the cost could vary considerably depending on where you are in the country.

I had the rear of a two bed semi with ground floor extension done in Walthamstow in '03 prior to selling. Can't remember what it cost but it seemed reasonable at the time. Included hacking off the poorly mixed render before applying. If you're anywhere near there drop me a PM & I'll see if I still have the guy's number.
  9. THE AMATUER

Ratings:
    +284
    Its a case of having to get it done really, the new extension looks odd compared to the original house, where the pebbledashing has really faded and become patchy.

Id imagine removing all the dashing would be just as expensive as getting it re-done?
  10. eric pisch

eric pisch Member

Ratings:
    +764
    and i bet your having little coloured stone chips like 99% of every one else who has it done ...

Thats SPAR dash not pebble dash :)
  11. THE AMATUER

Ratings:
    +284

your right...Canterbury Spar. I thought if I titled it spardashing most people wouldn't know what I was talking about.
  12. imightbewrong

imightbewrong Active Member

Ratings:
    +3,878
    Going to the local shop and back for a six-pack before the match starts?
  13. eric pisch

eric pisch Member

Ratings:
    +764
    its my no2 pet building greeve after breeze blocks, grrr there lightweight concrete blocks....

but you are correct its a good way to hide odd wall surfaces, its not very fashionable

have you considered a smooth render coat that's sandtex painted or having the top half spa dashed and the lower half smouth coat with sandtex, can look very nice, and you can paint it yourself to save a few squid.
  14. THE AMATUER

Ratings:
    +284

How does that work exactly, I'm no exert on building matters? Does that mean they go over the dashing already there with sandtex (sorry dont know what that is?) or would they have to take the old dashing off first?
  15. eric pisch

eric pisch Member

Ratings:
    +764
    if you got some old dash they remove it, then re render the house but make it smooth rather than chucking stones at it, you then paint it in a sandtex colour of your choice

it comes down to how much you want to spend, how much the house is worth, the area your in etc

http://www.sandtex.co.uk/pdfs/MasonryPaintColour.pdf

Heres a pic of a house with the top half smooth rendered and painted, you can also do the whole house, or spardash the top half and paint the lowerhalf, looks much nicer imo

http://www.balanceandco.com/projects/otherwork/crackedrender_rayleigh/02/images/DSC00417.jpg
  16. Ed Selley

Ed Selley AVF Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,734
    [​IMG]

This man is responsible for most blokes looking at the title to this thread and giggling rather than proffering advice :laugh:
  17. THE AMATUER

Ratings:
    +284
    Thanks, I get you now. Sounds like that will be quite expensive to do, although I agree it would look better. Luckily the front of the house only has a very small panel to dash, the rest is brick work. Its only the back and side of the house that needs totally dashed. I think I will try and find someone who can dash if I can.

We also have the problem that all my neighbours houses are in the same style as mine, so I'm not sure changing the outside to something else would look right.
  18. JagoUK

JagoUK Active Member

Ratings:
    +565
    might you have to deal with planning permission aswell if it looks different from them?

i have rendered walls on the new property im buying so will keep an eye on this thread i think :thumbsup: