Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much of my monthly download amount does streaming use?

Discussion in 'ISPs & The Internet' started by mart1977, Jan 9, 2010.

1. mart1977

mart1977 Member

Ratings:
    +29
    Hi guys. I'm not that knowledgable on internet and computer issues but I was just wondering something. Lets say I want to watch a show on BBC iplayer and to download (no idea if you can download off iplayer) takes up 1GB. How much would streaming it and watching it on my laptop take up?
    Does it work in the same way and does streaming count towards the monthly download limits?
    A guy I work with says if the show is 1GB to download then it would take up 1GB of my monthly limit if I streamed it. This didnt sound right but I have no idea. Might be changing our ISP soon and with more and more things being streamed and watched online in our house I was just trying to work out what sort of download limits I should be looking at. Its rare I download anything but if streaming takes up the same as downloading then it might be worth going for a higher limit.
    I dont know if its as clean cut as im making it sound and hope it makes sense what im saying.
  2. Iccz

Iccz Active Member

Ratings:
    +6,760
    Basically all your ISP cares about is how much you use their service, they don't care what you do (as such - obviously they don't like you breaking the rules), basically think of it as a car, your car counts the miles you drive - it doesn't care if it's uphill, downhill, cross country etc, it all goes towards the same total, the same applies with internet... if you're loading a webpage it counts as download, if you stream videos it counts as download, if you download the video it counts... etc.

The only difference might be the stream version of the video might be smaller to make it easier to stream, sometimes downloadable content is larger... but that all depends.

Either way whatever way you do it, it counts to your total.
    You can get bandwidth monitors - software which watches how much you download/upload and can keep a track of how much you've used etc.
  3. mart1977

mart1977 Member

Ratings:
    +29
    Hi again Iccz. Thanks for replying. So basically it all depends on a number of factors with streaming vs downloading the same show that vary to make any assumption. Think I might go for the monitoring software to get a rough idea. Is there a free version that can be downloaded or is it software that needs to be paid for? Can you advise on something suitable?

So if I used all of my download limit in the first week of the month would I not be able to use my internet for the rest of the month?

One of the reasons I created this thread was I missed an episode of a show a few weeks ago and I found the episode available to watch on iplayer. So I watched it on my laptop but the quality wasnt great. So it got me thinking that surely it cant be as big a file as if it was downloaded and watched on a dvd.