Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much is my TV worth?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by magnumwhite1, Sep 10, 2007.

1. magnumwhite1

magnumwhite1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I am going to get a new LCD TV soon and will be selling my old one. However due to the falling prices of LCD TV's over the last couple of years I am unsure how much my old one is worth.

My old LCD tv is a philips 26PF9946/12 and cost me £600 18 month's ago, and was a good deal at the time.

Here is a link to a picture with some spec's

http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/2/26pf9946_12/26pf9946_12_pss_eng.pdf

How much do you think I should try and sell it for?

Regard's
  2. dbn

dbn Member

Ratings:
    +28
    :hiya:

now new 26" lcd tv start at £250.00, so i would try and sell for around the £200.00 mark.
  3. lostbok

lostbok Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Oooohh.... tricky one.... there's a lot of el-cheapo brands out there who are putting out HDMI input, HD capable TV's that will last for a few years.... and they're in the £250-£300 range.

Hanspree's very capable 32" (HDMI input HDTV) is knocking around for £300....

And yours is not capable of recieving HDTV?

I assume that the DVI is NOT HDCP compatible (able to take a copy protected HDMI source like Sky / Virgin?).

That said, it is a Philips (definite premium on the name alone) and it is presuably still the pick of the SD TV's (and HDTV at that resolution is not exactly essential)... so you might find it will hold it's value a bit better.

But you will be pitching yourself against the likes of these:

http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/pl/2-567243/TVs/Philips-26PF5321-Compare-Prices

http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/pl/2-565668/TVs/Philips-26PF5521D-Compare-Prices

You could try asking for £250-£275 and then say "ono" or "all sensible offers considered"... but I think DBN is right... most of your offers will be a lot closer to the £200 mark.... it's not that it's a 2-3 year old TV, it's the fact that the rest of the market has moved on a hell of a lot (and like you've spotted, come down in proce massively!!).
  4. magnumwhite1

magnumwhite1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank's for taking the time to calculate me a price, from what your both saying I should try and aim for £200-£250.

I was actually thinking of about £150 so maybe that was a little cheap and should aim for around £200.

Regard's
  5. lostbok

lostbok Member

Ratings:
    +30
    £250 if you don't mind waiting a bit.... some people will just be after a "cheapTV" (i.e. £200-odd).... some will be after a bargain... although £250 isn;t exactly "cheap" for a 2 year old design, it's still a pretty good deal for a Philips.

Have a good look around on eBay and try to guage what equivalnet screens are going for...

If I was you... I'd post it on the classifieds at "£250, all reasonable offers considered"... if the highest offer you get is £150, you don't have to go with it....
  6. kourosh

kourosh Active Member

Ratings:
    +882
    why dont you just stick it in the bedroom,it would be a shame to loose so much on it:smashin:
  7. chappersUK

chappersUK Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I would have to agree with you on this one. I am looking for a 22-26" LCD for the bedroom and have been watching a few on ebay for the last few days. A Bush 26" HD Ready set just went for £125+£25P&P, which had a contrast ratio of 900/1.

Better brands go slightly higher, yesterday a HD Ready 26" Philips went for £190, so looking at the specs of yours i would say you were about correct at £150-£200max.