1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many GB's does online gaming use

Discussion in 'PlayStation Network' started by Nick.M.G., Feb 2, 2008.

1. Nick.M.G.

Nick.M.G. Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, I have been playing COD4 online for about an 1 hour a day for a month and just wondered how much of my 8 GB of my BT monthly allowance this uses.
    The reason I ask is my line profile has dropped drasticly to 350kps from 1750kps (supposed max I can get is 3000kps) and I wonder if this is because I have been "capped" for going over my limit.
    Thanks
  2. menz83

menz83 Member

Ratings:
    +207
    I think the question you should be asking is how many KB's does online gaming use, not GB's as the badwidth required aint that much, especially for only an hour a day.

1st of all, can I ask you what ISP you are with. Second, can you clarify whay you mean by line profile i.e. the stats from your router or a line speed test at the likes of speedtest.net?

If it is the line stats from your router then your ISP is not the problem as your profile is set automatically at your local exchange. For your profile to drop, the exchange must be seeing something wrong with your line. Do you switch off your modem//router on a daily basis? If so, the exchange will see this as your line dropping out and will reduce your profile in order to make your line more stable. If this is the case then I would suggest leaving your modem/router on 24/7 and calling your ISP and asking them to reset your BRAS profile. BT will then reset your line at the exchange and allow you to find the most stable line speed.

If you have been doing some speed tests at various sites and are seeing significantly lower line speeds then I would possibily put this down to peak traffic on your network slowing down your line. Most networks clog up in the eveing and it ends up everyone is fighting for the traffic. In this case, everyones speeds will decrease as the badwidth is equally divided. However, if you are a heavy downloader or use any p2p programs (eg COD 4), then your isp may throttle your traffic. There are various threads on how Tiscali users experiencing problems connecting to games in COD 4 as it uses p2p in its online play.

If this hasnt explained everything or if theres anything else you want to ask then fire ahead and ill see what I can come up with!
  3. Nick.M.G.

Nick.M.G. Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, many thanks for your reply.
    I am on BT internet and have the 8 gb monthly allowance.
    my only use of it is for light browsing and COD4, I do not download films, music etc.
    I do turn my BT homehub off every night, from what you are saying, is this highly likely to be the cause of my drop in line speed over the year since I have had broadband. If so this is a bit daft as BT tell you to turn it off "to save energy".
    I used the speednet and the BT speed test links from the gadget show page.
    So just to recap I should leave my bub on and call BT to reset the exchange?
    Nick
  4. menz83

menz83 Member

Ratings:
    +207
    Yup, thats exactly it! Im not 100% sure, but I think if you left your router on all of the time from now on, then gradually your line profile (BRAS) will go up to the maximum possible whilst staying stable. If you do request your BRAS profile to be reset then I would imagine your IP profile would be set to the maximum possible (8128Kb). If you live quite far from the exchange or you have a low quality phone line then your internet will be unstable for the 1st week as the exchange figures out the most stable profile to set your line at. Gradually, your profile would go down until the most stable speeds are found for your line.

If you want to find out more about the likes of this then I do suggest you visit the dslzoneuk forums. You'll find lots of useful information there.

Hope this helps
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Darth_terra

Darth_terra Active Member

Ratings:
    +509
    Can you post a link where you got your info from, as i turn off my router when i'm not using it and not once has my speed dropped or my service reduced or become unstable because of it, and i have been doing it for three years.
  6. menz83

menz83 Member

Ratings:
    +207

Attached Files:

7. Darth_terra

Darth_terra Active Member

Ratings:
    +509
    that's if your using ADSL max which requires a stable signal for it to work at it's full rate, standard ADSL doesn't require it, it depends on what type of ADSl your using, i'm on standard ADSL which is why i don't have problems when turning off my Router, the OP may also be on standard ASDL in which case leaving his router on wont fix the problem he's having, if the OP is on MAx then yes doing as you suggested could help.
  8. r3nu4l

r3nu4l Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Okay so getting back to the OP's question regarding online play and GB usage am I right in thinking that for COD4 online he probably wouldn't even use 1 GB a month if he played about 2 hours a day?

I ask purely for the OP's benefit and not because that's what I'm doing at the moment ~2hrs/day :D :D :rotfl:
  9. Damien

Damien Member

Ratings:
    +38
    Just got online with COD4 but i am on a limited download. How much does an average game use? I have 2 gb limit.

Cheers
    D
  10. Zeromajor

Zeromajor Member

Ratings:
    +555
    does he mean his download cap is 2gb?

An average game (a few hours?) would send/recieve about 50mb. That's a very rough estimation.

With your download cap, you'll be able to enjoy light internet browsing and online gaming for a few hours a night without going over your limit.
  11. Damien

Damien Member

Ratings:
    +38
    YEah my download cap is 2 gb. I am on Orange, as was wanadoo, freeserve. I have a speed of about 4meg and have been using it online with no ill affects. However was worried i might get to my limit.

2 gb a month is 2,000meg yeah. Well then that is about 66 meg a day. I have been playig for maybe 2 hours a day.

D
  12. Zeromajor

Zeromajor Member

Ratings:
    +555
    Aye you should be fine then.

Tbh I really wouldn't worry about it, i've had capped connections with three major isp's in the past (karoo, bt, tiscali) and even through really major use i've never had it cut out due to going over the limit. IMO it's a scare tactic!
  13. Zeromajor

Zeromajor Member

Ratings:
    +555
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Damien

Damien Member

Ratings:
    +38
  15. kendoll

kendoll Member

Ratings:
    +561
    Merged with existing online gaming usage thread. Please try to do a search before starting a new thread.

Cheers. :)