Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long should ps3 last? game say 3 years

Discussion in 'PS3 Forum' started by sneakyg, May 16, 2011.

1. sneakyg

sneakyg Member

Ratings:
    +1
    hi

PS3 got YLOD yesterday ( :thumbsdow just about to try and go back online)

Anyway, I contacted Game today to say i wanted it fixed under SOGA, the advisor informed me that they would not do anything over 3 years old as this is how long sony give warrenties out for...now this sounds like rubbish to me

but got me thinking (before i send n a letter to them) how long do Sony say a PS3 should last for?

:lease: help
  2. Steven

Steven Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +5,496
    When you have owned a consumer item for 6 months and more, the onus switches to the consumer to show that there was something inherently at fault with the item. Push come to shove you may require an engineer's report on your PS3 before Game will send it off for repair or replace it. Of course you do have an alternative of doing it through Sony

The SGA is separate to a manufacturer's warranty (which is nothing more than a way to hide from statutory obligations as the majority of people will not argue the toss and some actually pay for extended retailer warranties, but I digress). Bear in mind the stated 6 years maximum reliance on statutory rights in the SGA is not actually firm and merely guidance. For example it would be futile to claim under the SGA for your faulty mobile phone bought 5 years ago when a phone is an item you use daily and take everywhere with you
    A games console? Arguing the toss whichever way and 3 years is there or thereabouts imo for a modern console. They're just not built like the old days with cartridges. Of course be firm and argue your corner
    Last edited: May 16, 2011
  3. sneakyg

sneakyg Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks

The impression that i got from the CS rep from Game was that id have to take them to court, she wouldnt entertain a discussion re sales of goods act - although i will follow up my enquiry in writting

just wanted some useful points before i go to them
  4. BarneyGumble

BarneyGumble Member

Ratings:
    +58
  5. snubnose33

snubnose33 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If only id heard of that ! Mine Yloded on the 20th Of April, i went to Sainsbury's the next day and bought a brand new slim for £195 !
    You sure the Slim is brand new Barney?
    A good refurb is hard to tell.
    Let us know mate.
  6. Scooby2000

Scooby2000 Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,435
    My 40G fats still running, all be it rather loudly:suicide: other than the fan all seems well.

Sadly 3 years may be long enough for them not to do anything.

Returning faulty items : Directgov - Government, citizens and rights

Repairs and replacements for faulty items
    If a trader won’t give you a refund for a faulty item, they should usually offer to repair or replace the item for free. This may apply even if you’ve had good use out of the item. It depends on:
    • what you paid for the item
    • how long you’ve had it
    • how long it’s expected to last
    For example, if a fridge you bought for £400 broke after seven months, you would probably get a free repair. But if the same fridge broke after four years, you may have to pay towards the cost of a repair.
    The law here is complex and you may need to get legal advice about whether the trader should offer to repair, replace or refund the item.
    Find a solicitor or legal adviser in your areaOpens new window
  7. sneakyg

sneakyg Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Why are you saying 3 years is long enough? what are you basing that on?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. spudtator

spudtator Active Member

Ratings:
    +445
  9. Siochain

Siochain Member

Ratings:
    +169
    Maybe open it up, clean the dust from inside and reapply the TIM to the cell processor and RSX GPU. Worked a treat for myself on my old PS3 phat. The Fan now never ramps up quickly or needs to be run at full pelt due to sufficent cooling of the ps3 GPU and CPU from reappling the TIM. It's now back to being a very quiet PS3, almost as quite as my PS3 slim. There wasn't much dust inside the ps3 but the thermal compound was everywhere except where it needed to be, between the heatsinks and the GPU & CPU. It looked like the TIM was originally applied with a trowel. Of course this is only if you're confident in opening up your PS3.

I think and engineers report will be needed perhaps stating YLOD is a known issue and perhaps that will persuade Game to be more accommodating, I doubt it though and at three years old it will be difficult to get it fixed for free as said by Scooby. I've never read of this Sony 3 year warranty myself nor have I ever read Sony state the expected operational life of a PS3. Going direct to Sony will only leave you with the option of a refurbed console that won't be free and with a limited warranty, less than a year I believe.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: May 17, 2011
  10. thesaint02

thesaint02 Member

Ratings:
    +177
    They will bring a console to your door, and take the old one away.
    It will possibly be refurbished, but you won't tell it from new.

Not seen them do the 160GB, I get the 250's, but then, they're a bit cheaper.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. sneakyg

sneakyg Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Im my head the question that would help work out if i have a case (which i strongly think i do) would be how long should a playstation last? a TV should last for 5 years+ and thats on fairly constant and generally alot more than a PS3.
  12. Kaden101

Kaden101 Member

Ratings:
    +159
    I remember that. Looked like it had been put on by a blindfolded 3 year old on a trampoline, in a bouncy castle...at sea....in a storm......with mittens.
  13. Siochain

Siochain Member

Ratings:
    +169
    Hopefully you get a satisfactory outcome sneakyg. My launch day Phat has outlasted one high end TV, Two PC GPU's, one pc motherboard and 7 xbox 360's. I've been lucky (so far) with the PS3, Each of the 360's died within a year so I always got a new console without hassle. Shame they didn't build the PS3's as badly :) ( failure in the first year). You seem determined, so along with a engineers report stating Ylod as a inherent fault with the PS3 game may feel the hassle of yourself taking them to court will not be worth it and offer you a repair or replacement.

:laugh: excellent description.
  14. DJ Ovengloves

DJ Ovengloves Active Member

Ratings:
    +703
    The fact it's essentially a cheap games console / media device when compared to say at £5,000 amp, which is also covered by SOGA.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. sneakyg

sneakyg Member

Ratings:
    +1
    so if i paid £5,000 for it, could i expect it to last 50 years? (£300 last 3 years = £100 per year)

how long is a fridge supposed to last? or a tv? or dvd player?
  16. BarneyGumble

BarneyGumble Member

Ratings:
    +58
    Yeah, the description says it's a straight console for console swap, no cables or anything and I'm not expecting anything more. I wouldn't have gone down this road if the user didn't have 100% feedback: I read the feedback comments and that combined with the need for a new (cheaper than RRP) PS3 suckered me in to the deal - got him down to £125 delivered.

Just need to arrange a date for the courier to come to swap the console now...

Quick question: I upgraded the hard-drive of my now broken PS3 - I plan to take this out and replace it with the 40gb original. Will I be able to just put the upgraded hard-drive I take out straight into the slim when I get it?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk Active Member

Ratings:
    +329
    I would expect the console to be built to such a standard that it would last until the next generation of the hardware is released, providing you don't abuse it by handling it roughly or whatever. Be it ten years or whatever, if the machine failed I would expect Sony to replace it as the device is still within it's life cycle and is still the current console out.

To be honest though, I'm not sure what you guys do to your electronics, in 28 years of owning consoles and a myriad of other technology all I've ever had fail is one pc - virus, not mechanical failure and a couple of mobiles - more by fault for dropping them I expect. While I don't game for ten hours a day like some I've never had one go bang on me, my original xbox 360 which I sold to my mate is still going strong. Same with tv's, the last four tv I've had are all still in active service, three still in use in house and one at my brothers place. Who says things aren't built to last?.
  18. Robothamster

Robothamster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,597
    unfortunately not, putting a HDD into a PS3 forces a format, even if it's been inside another PS3. This was the drive is associated with the console.

Sent from phone
  19. BarneyGumble

BarneyGumble Member

Ratings:
    +58
    I always thought my PS3 was going to last until the PS4; it has always been well ventilated and has been wiped to remove dust periodically. The fans never ramped up to full power at all and it has always been near silent.

However, I bought my console whilst on holiday in Hong Kong 4 years ago as it was practically half price compared to the UK market at the time. In my opinion, downloading the new update may have killed my PS3 as it more or less happened straight afterwards. Perhaps that it was a 'foreign' console in a different region may have fried it after the update which no doubt includes much stricter security....?

Who knows.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. BarneyGumble

BarneyGumble Member

Ratings:
    +58
    Damn.

Thanks robo. Will have to buy a caddy now to get all the data off! I take it it's still possible to retrieve my saved game data etc off it?
  21. Robothamster

Ratings:
    +3,597
    Hmmm, no sure if you'll be able to with a caddy? Someone here must have tried it.

Thing is because it's in PS3 format not sure if you can read data off from a PC. On the other hand, I think it's only important that folders are named correctly for the PS3 to detect them so it's possible that connecting to a PC may show GAMEDATA, GAMESAVES folders etc.

Sent from phone
  22. thesaint02

thesaint02 Member

Ratings:
    +177
    Everything on the hard drive is inaccessible by anything bar the PS3 it came out of.
  23. Robothamster

Ratings:
    +3,597
    My 60gb was really well looked after just like your hong kong console. One day, absolutely no warning at all it got the YLOD from just being on the XMB!

Inherent fault is all we can blame I think, not firmware updates, certain games etc.

Sent from phone
  24. BarneyGumble

BarneyGumble Member

Ratings:
    +58
    That's a bit of a kick in the nuts.

Is there absoultely no way of getting my game saves back then? A lot of work went into them...
  25. DJSigma

DJSigma New Member

Ratings:
    +1,911
    The only way to get your saves back is if you can bring the dead PS3 back to life long enough to copy them off the drive, but with copy-protected saves, the only way to get them off the drive and on to a different console is via the cloud save service offered by PSN+.
  26. BarneyGumble

BarneyGumble Member

Ratings:
    +58
    Suppose I'll get the hair dryer out tomorrow then.

What games are copy-protected? Hope GT5 isn't....

Thanks for the help.
  27. DJSigma

DJSigma New Member

Ratings:
    +1,911
    There's an incomplete list here: -

Locked PS3 Game Saves Compilation List is Now Available - PS3 NEWS - PlayStation 3 News - PS3 Hacks - PS3 CFW

As for GT5, a Google search suggests that the save is copy protected as there are numerous posts about it on various sites, including a couple of petitions asking for the copy protection to be removed, but a list of copy protected saves on Eurogamer has the GT5 game save listed under "Patched PS3 Game Saves (to Remove Copy Protection)" so the copy protection may well have been removed via a patch.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  28. DJ Ovengloves

DJ Ovengloves Active Member

Ratings:
    +703
    It's not a linear relationship / cut and dried - that's why SOGA isn't an all encompassing extended warranty certain members will have you believe.

29. MattTheBeanster

MattTheBeanster Member

Ratings:
    +85
    Bought a £350 bluray player from TLC Broadcast and the laser malfunctioned in 20 months, no replacement no offer to pay for repair or even help with the cost. On my 4th Xbox 360 too (but they cost me nothing thanks to MS's warranty). I have other kit that's been going 20+ years though.

This is from a non-smoking, children free house where the electronics are in on well ventilated shelving and I look after them so well that when i do "pash them down" people have commented it's like getting a new one. Things do seem to be a little less well built and it seems to me to be the "new" tech (like bluray).
  30. figoagogo

figoagogo Active Member

Ratings:
    +528
    I have had two YLOD, both after about 12/14months - which is not acceptable... even after 3 years is is not acceptable, but with the price of slims now I simply could not be arsed to argue the case at 3 years old, and just go and get a slim. Its is a better device in terms of size/noise/efficiency.

I think there is an inherent fault with the orignal 60gb consoles, someone should have taken this up with Sony in a court, I am sure they would win, its just the effort/time/money.