1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you get rid of Limescale??

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by mjn, May 2, 2005.

1. mjn

mjn Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,338
    This stuff is driving me up the wall. Every month for the last 6 months, i've been spending a few hours trying to remove limescale from the bathroom tiles!

I'm working my way through all the off-the-shelf products designed to remove limescale, but i'm not getting anywhere fast.

Anybody any tips or recommendations?
  2. mason

mason Member

Ratings:
    +96
    Sounds like a re-grout job required.

Dig it all out and replace it with lime scale free.
  3. mjn

mjn Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,338
    But even the tiles/bath/taps are covered in limescale...
  4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2 Member

Ratings:
    +225
    Lime-Lite Power Gel. :smashin:
  5. mjn

mjn Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,338
    thats the stuff i'm using today....and its useless!! :confused:
  6. mason

mason Member

Ratings:
    +96

Ooo man.. that sounds like a problem.

I will ask the wife when I get home tonight and see what she uses on to clean the bathrooms... we never have limescale.
  7. eviljohn2

eviljohn2 Member

Ratings:
    +225
    Really? It's always done the job for me.

I suppose something acid-based like vinegar would do the trick, try a web-search for that as I don't know enough about bath and tap design to be sure you won't crack any enamel or anything! :)
  8. Keith Hurst

Keith Hurst Active Member

Ratings:
    +701
    Vinegar, that the one. Soak loo paper in the stuff, wrap wound your taps, cover with small plastic bag which you hold on with a rubber band, then leave overnight. If you can handle the stink its supposed to work, never tried it myself though.

KH
  9. mjn

mjn Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,338
    OK, i'll the vinegar!
  10. Marc

Marc Member

Ratings:
    +1,094
    there's this product called "Bath Power" that the company i used to work for handled the distribution for within the UK. Apparently it works extremely well as my mum kept nagging me to get free samples from the company.
  11. smelly

smelly Member

Ratings:
    +104
    If this is the stuff from Oz then its brilliant. I hate cleaning the bathroom, I just spray this on leave it for a few mins then rinse off. Works everytime and doesn't smell too bad. Would recommend to anyone :smashin:

God I sound like a radio voice over :rolleyes: ''just spray it on and rinse it off.....''
  12. Marc

Marc Member

Ratings:
    +1,094
    yeah it's from a company called Ozkleen, and don't worry you don't sound at all as bad as the people in the Bath Power advert where they proclaim it's "fandabbydozy"

it's quite funny working for a company that handles product distribution because our address was the one on the packet to direct complaints/competition entries to, and some of these were great. we actually had one through a few months back where a woman had used bath power to wash her couch and ruined it, and wanted Ozkleen to buy her a new couch.. we've also had competition entries where the entry is accompanied by a £5 note, as some sort of bribe.
  13. shodan

shodan Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,337
    Cillett Bang is my favourite!!!
  14. smelly

smelly Member

Ratings:
    +104
    We still talking about limescale removers??? :laugh:
  15. shodan

shodan Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,337
    Oh, limescale removers! Oops... :rotfl:
  16. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Get an empty Dettox spray container. Clean it out, fill with neat white vinegar. Spray on, leave for twenty minutes then come back and clean up. Don't expect to clean off 6 months limescale in one sitting, but once it is clean then make it part of your sink cleaning routine.

(Did I really write that? Thank goodness for the anonymity of the web!)
  17. Nobber22

Nobber22 Active Member

Ratings:
    +126
    Move. If you have to clean the tiles, etc every 6 months you're in a hard water area. I am too. There's really nothing you can do except clean the tiles/taps everytime you get them wet. :(
  18. Henry

Henry Member

Ratings:
    +58
    Slightly more expensive option. But I bought a Polti steam cleaner a few months ago and it's awesome. It cleans floors, windows, mirrors, tiles, work surfaces brilliantly. No chemicals involved. It really cleaned the tiles and the grouting up beautifully. It's also very quick to use. Also bought the iron attachment too which is very impressive indeed too.

I sound like a QVC presenter, I know. But it's bloody marvellous!
  19. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    We have one of those too - can't remember what make but it was £200 two years ago. Good fro chemical free cleaning of taps, tiles, floors, even alloy wheels! Just pay to heat the water, very environmentally friendly
  20. Mac Man

Mac Man Member

Ratings:
    +240
    Get a water softener.

No more limescale problems. Friend of mine lives in Norfolk where their water is very hard and ended up fitting one.

Chris
  21. DottyStars

DottyStars Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Since we are all talking about limescale, i need some help with it. I have been given the mission of getting rid of the limescale outside our house that has come from our washing machine, i have been doing it now for about.....2 hours and the bloody stuff won't budge! Here is whats happening so you can understand the mission i have been given, outside our house we have a bit of pipe sticking out of it and it just drips water (this comes from our washing machine) since neither of my mum or dad (as it's been i need to do that job) it has now turned to limescale and will not move off our stone patio, i have put limescale remover, bath room cleaner and its only budged a bit! it has even come to the point where i can not remove the drain cover as the limescale has gone of like concrete, i have been chipping away at it with a shovel and been using the removers and even tipping hot water on it, and the worst thing is i even tried the sturdy mop and bucket, and this only help a bit! could anyone help me and tell me how to get rid of this monster!!! thanks!:thumbsup:
  22. THE AMATUER

THE AMATUER Active Member

Ratings:
    +284
    Install a water softener. I had one done a few weeks ago, it cost about £1,100 but well worth it in my opinion.
  23. Iccz

Iccz Active Member

Ratings:
    +6,740
    Holy thread resurrection Batman!

Does Cillitt Bang not remove limescale, I thought they claimed it does?
  24. acid007

acid007 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +214
    Limescale can be very stuborn, it seams you might have an extreme case of it!

I have always found that a weak acid like vinegar/lemon juice does the job well, the key is that it must be in contact with the scale for an hour or so before you try to remove. The longer you leave it on the easier the scale will come off, you might need to repeat the process several times in your case. :smashin:

I agree with THE AMATUER a better permanant solution would be to install a water softner. Just think of the scale build up in your pipes.............can end up costing a fortune.
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  25. johntheexpat

johntheexpat Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,282
    I love that! A 4 1/2 year old thread and 'since we are all talking about limescale...' :rotfl::rotfl:

How about getting a kettle full of 50% water, 50% white vinegar, get it to boiling point and pour gently over the affected area. (It may help to pour hot water over the area first so the vinegar mix stays hot a little bit longer.)

It may take several goes.

You could use hydrochloric acid, diluted, but although it would work in the cold, it may etch any concrete or paving stones it comes in contact with. (And wear safety goggles and gloves)
  26. DJT75

DJT75 Active Member

Ratings:
    +631
    Edit: To the original OP 4 years ago!!

VIAKAL - P&G UK and Ireland - Viakal Lime Scale Remover

But get the bottled stuff, not the spray (sold in most supermarkets). It'll kill a man at 5 paces but it removes everything.

& it does sound like you need a water softener if your limescale is that excessive - & I know a trusted chap in your area that fits them too if you ever go down that route.
  27. DottyStars

DottyStars Member

Ratings:
    +0
    well......thanks for all the tips and everything you have given me and i tried them all! but this limescale was not moving anywhere, so i used a hammer and chisel that seemed to do the trick! Now can anyone give me advice on how to get rid of the horrible green stain it has left on our stone?! Once again thanks very much for all the tips, when i get my own house i will keep them all in mind! they should help me out alot!! :thumbsup:
  28. notabadgeeza

notabadgeeza Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Limescale will come off ceramic tiles using a Brillo pad and Cillit Bang. I used a Brillo pad with Cillit Bang on and my tile came up like new. There is no scratching because the tiles are so hard. Try a small area first iff doubtful.
  29. mjn

mjn Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,338
    And again...this thread will never die!!
  30. Berties

Berties New Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Why do you have limescale on the walls? Only get it in the kettle.