1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do I unlock a blackberry curve - for free??

Discussion in 'Blackberry Phones' started by tommyb1, May 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tommyb1

tommyb1 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Just bought a Blackberry Curve 8300 off ebay - locked to vodafone.

I know there are lots of sites that charge to unlock a phone- especially a blackberry

Was wondering if there's a 'free' way to get the codes?
  2. chelsea.tone

chelsea.tone Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,138
  3. General Skanky

General Skanky Member

Ratings:
    +39
    Just getting an 8310 myself locked to O2.

Found it for £19.99 to get the codes but hadn't considered trying to get it for free.

Crackberry.com as above would be the best bet. Once I have my phone I'll be looking to do that myself.

Also, as per Nokia phones, does anyone know if do Blackberrys need 'debranding' at all?
  4. ferret1979

ferret1979 Member

Ratings:
    +38
    Hi

Vodafone unlock handsets free of charge now.

Take a look on their forum, and use the instructions to get in contact with their eforum team.

I have had several blackberrys unlocked by them, but I am a customer, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Crackberry is a very good site.

In terms of debranding, I don't think you can actually remove the operator splash screen at start up. You can however load the latest version of the Operating System from any carrier, but you will need to follow the instructions over at crackberry.
  5. PhobosDeimos

PhobosDeimos Member

Ratings:
    +0

Hello tommyb1.

ferret1979 is right that Vodafone unlock some handsets free of charge but there are a few rules surrounding this.
    You do need to be either a Vodafone contract customer or a Vodafone PAYT customer to use our unlocking service.

Contract customers can have their handsets unlocked free of charge at any time. PAYT customers need to pay a £19.99 one off fee if the handset is less than 12 months old. PAYT customers can have their handsets unlocked for free upon proof the handset is over 12 months old.

To make things much simpler, we have a thread already prepared on the Vodafone eForum that explains everything you need to know. Just click here to visit the thread.

Hopefully that will answer your query and give you some options to consider.

Thanks! :)

PhobosDeimos
    VodafoneUK
  6. SGH42

SGH42 Member

Ratings:
    +8
    whats the advantage of unlocking, does that mean you can use it on another network ?

Thanks
    Steve
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.