Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do i stop condensation in my shed?

Discussion in 'General Chat Forum' started by Oily, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Oily

Oily Member

Ratings:
    +87
    I've just built a wooden shed with plastic corrigated roofing and the condensation that drips from the underside of the roof is making a mess of all the things i want to keep dry :eek:

Any ideas please :smashin:
  2. Reepicheep

Reepicheep Member

Ratings:
    +49
    The roof is obviously cold, so any moisture in the shed will condense on it. You could try replacing the roof with insulated roofing panels like you get on conservatories(the multilayer type stuff).
    Add some ventilation in the shed may help a little as well.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. ufitsy

ufitsy Active Member

Ratings:
    +268
    As above plus a dehumidifier perhaps a window facing the sun if possible, may sound daft but dont put anything wet in there e.g cloths shoes buckets.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Sonic67

Sonic67 Active Member

Ratings:
    +3,721
    Condensation is warm air falling on a cold surface. Warm air holds more moisture than cool air. While the temperature is warm you're fine. As the temperature drops the air can't hold the moisture any more so it forms as condensation on a cold surface. For instance the air during the day is warm. At night the air is colder and this moisture is given up and forms dew on the ground.

Options:

Keep the temperature warm.

Remove the moisture from the air.

Don't put anything wet in there.

Increase ventilation so the moist air can escape. Or seal up the shed so moist air can't get in.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Oily

Oily Member

Ratings:
    +87
    Thanks for the info.

Changing the roof isn't an option i'm afraid(lack of cash)i've no power in the shed as of yet so thats the dehumidifier out,so that leaves good 'ol ventilation!!

Hmmmmm,to seal or not to seal,that is the question :D
  6. Orson

Orson Moderator

Ratings:
    +596
    Line your roof with polystyrene - you can get fairly cheap tiles & stick them on (check the type of glue you use or it will melt the polystyrene) or, particularly at this time of year, you may be able to find lots of discarded polystyrene packaging - if you can get enough to cut so it looks acceptable it would be even less expensive.
    Combine this with some ventilation & you should be okay.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. GaryB

GaryB Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,119
    To encourage the air to flow through naturally, it's a good idea to have one vent at low level at one end of the shed and another at high level at the other end. This should encourage the slightly warmer air to flow out at high level which will suck cooler air in at lower level.