1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I Reset my Sky+ Sky Plus box please HELP!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Sky, Sky+, Sky HD & Sky 3D' started by albion1968, Jan 24, 2009.

1. albion1968

albion1968 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Roughly a month ago my Sky+ box started playing up. It works fine apart from when I try to playback a recording it keeps jumping both the audio and video.

And guess what it was just outside its warranty and sky want £75.00 to fix it. I have gone through a housekeeping reset and the signal has been checked but this hasn't helped. Looking at it I'm sure its just the HD needs formatting, or replacing, Sky just just as much.

Thnx in advance.

:lease:

Danny
  2. SkyBloke77

SkyBloke77 Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Firstly sky only charge £65 for a callout not £75. Secondly if you have done the housekeeping/full system reset then you have already formatted the HDD. Which leaves me to suspect that the HDD is damaged in some way.
  3. albion1968

albion1968 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I understand what you are saying although, it only took roughly 2 mins for this reset to take place, its a 80gig HDD sure it should take longer than that??? secondly if the HDD is damage how hard is it to replace the drive??

Danny
  4. av12

av12 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm not sure if a Full System Reset will work, the HDD could be damaged though.

Be aware that a full system reset will delete all recorded programmes and clear your HDD.

If you are sure you want to try this see this link, How to reset your Sky+ Box « Noods's Blog

It says on this webpage that this method has been known to resolve pausing and recording issues.

Of course, if you have already tried this, it may be worth calling out a Sky engineer for the £65.
  5. pcbbc

pcbbc Member

Ratings:
    +87
    Modern HDD are never really "formatted" in the same way as say a floppy drive used to be. Formatting in the traditionally sense meant laying down the physical tracks and sectors on the drive. Modern hard drives, due to their complexity, come pre-formatted at that level from the factory and can't be changed. So the only formatting operation left for the user to do is to put their chosen file system on the disk, which can be done in seconds because it only involves writing to the first few sectors of the disk to mark it empty.

When creating a file system you have option of a "full format" or "quick format". Full format will just write zeros to every data sector on the drive and can take hours (depending on size of drive). However this will do nothing to repair any damage, so is essentially pointless. The only point in doing it is that it validates every sector can be written to (so checks for damage but can't repair it) and also erases any confidential data (hardly important in the case of a Sky disk). For the above reasons the Sky box only ever does a quick format.

This is either a faulty HDD, or possibly a faulty PSU or LNB feed. When you say you had the signal checked, was that professionally or did you do it yourself? The boxes signal check only works on the default transponder unless you are dual reocording at the time. Therefore it is somewhat inaccurate as the default transponder my be fine. The acid test would be to record the same channel you are watching, and then if there are errors on playback ONLY you know it is the HDD - conversely a box or LNB fault.