1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I improve projector picture quality ?

Discussion in 'Projectors' started by avbear, Dec 20, 2003.

1. avbear

avbear Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I am a newbie and I have decided to wait for the Panasonic AE-500 for my first projector. (opinions please)
    But my main question is that I have heard that picture quality for a projector or other hardware can be improved by the inclusion in between the source i.e. a DVD player and the projector, I think the box in question is called a line doubler ? ??
    Can anyone tell me if this IS the case and if so how much of an improvement might be made and where one of these boxes might be purchased ?

Regards......Ted
  2. KraGorn

KraGorn Member

Ratings:
    +33
    There are two processes which can greatly affect picture quality: de-interlacing and scaling.

De-interlacing converts the 'interlaced' video signal coming off the DVD itself into a 'progressive' signal which is needed by plasmas and projectors. If the display device sees an interlaced signal it has a built-in de-interlacer, also known as a 'line doubler', to do the job. The quality of these varies widely between devices. De-interlacing is a complex process and the results vary considerably between high-quality and so-so.

Scaling means converting the size of the image from the DVD to that displayed by the display, for instance a PAL DVD I believe has a picture size of 720 x 576 whereas a projector might be 1280 x 720 .. 'scaling' increases the number of pixels so that the image fills the screen. Again, displays have built-in scalers, and again they vary in quality.

You can buy boxes to do this conversion, I'm no expert on these as I use a PC which combines these processes, the 'progressive scan' forum is a good place to read up on this subject. Also, the AE500 is somewhat of an unknown at the moment, the quality of the on-board scaler/doubler may be good enough. Also, you can buy 'progressive scan' DVD players which have a built-in de-interlacer, there are some very good ones pretty inexpensive, again the PS forum is a good place to check the current recommended players, as well as the DVD Player forum of course.

You can get a good introduction to this subject here, the site hasn't been updated for some time but the articles are well worth a read.
  3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot Active Member

Ratings:
    +789
    Nice concise post. FAQ material maybe? Or is it already covered?

Gary.
  4. KraGorn

KraGorn Member

Ratings:
    +33
    Thanks .. just wrote what I know about the subject from a variety of sources. :) My main source of education was the site I linked to.